*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3271468
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #102362
Drop your new ideas into the Writing.Com Suggestion Box!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 18, 2019 at 9:32am
Contests Should Allow Book or Forum Entries
Yes, I am requesting a change to a WdC policy. I know. But I'm not sure where else to bring this up. *Bigsmile* Forums that allow book entries and direct forum posts should be allowed to count as a contest if they are still created here and judged on the skill of the entrant.

Currently, to be considered a contest, it says...

A writing contest that is eligible for posting on the Contests page involves three things:
- The typical entrant creates a piece of writing in an item in their own port.
- The entering process must happen here on the Writing.Com site.
- There must be competitive judging of the writing based on the skill of the entrant.

I believe this rule was conceived before anyone thought of super short contests like "Invalid Item or "Twenty-Five Words or Less. I bet tweets didn't even exist when this rule was made. *Laugh*

A contest is a competition between people. Thus, I don't understand why a forum that recognizes that it doesn't make sense to require a user take up a space in their portfolio for only 25 words or 140 characters can't still be considered a contest. Fast and easy contests (yes, because in the outside world, they would be considered a contest) also help encourage newbie participation if they allow posts directly in the forum. I know as a newbie I was scared to take up valuable item space by entering a contest.

When people are looking for a contest to enter, they look on the Contest pages, not the Activity pages. And people don't generally define a contest as requiring an "item" but as requiring writing you created that will be judged. Thus direct forum entries and book entries should count, IMO. I think this well-intended rule was created before WdC was such a fully-fleshed site and before there were contests that allowed such short entries. Basically, I see no legitimate reason why they DON'T count, except that it's against the rules, thus I am recommending a rule change. *Bigsmile*

If, because I'm not supposed to request a policy change here, this should be submitted elsewhere, please let me know where. The world changes and our laws, rules, and policies must keep up. *Smile*

Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy post. *Heart*
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Contests Should Allow Book or Forum Entries · 05-18-19 9:32am
by Schnujo is Late to Lannister
Re: Contests Should Allow Book or Forum Entries · 05-19-19 8:27pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Re: Contests Should Allow Book or Forum Entries · 05-19-19 9:28pm
Re: Re: Re: Contests Should Allow Book or Forum Entries · 05-19-19 9:38pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Re: Re: Re: Contests Should Allow Book or Forum Entries · 05-19-19 9:42pm
Re: Re: Re: Contests Should Allow Book or Forum Entries · 05-21-19 4:51am
by Whata SpoonStealer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Contests Should Allow Book or Forum Entries · 05-21-19 6:33am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Contests Should Allow Book or Forum E... · 05-21-19 6:47am
by Whata SpoonStealer
Re: Re: Contests Should Allow Book or Forum Entries · 05-21-19 4:49am
by Whata SpoonStealer
Re: Contests Should Allow Book or Forum Entries · 05-21-19 4:46am
by Whata SpoonStealer

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryMistress.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3271468