*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3271492
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #102362
Drop your new ideas into the Writing.Com Suggestion Box!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 18, 2019 at 11:24am
*Idea*Re: Make Cleaners Anonymous
And I think that anything written should qualify for a contest, even if it's written in a book or entered directly in the forum, since I think the latter is why her contest kept getting pulled--if it allows/requires book or direct forum entries, it's not a contest. The spirit of a contest is that 2 or more people enter and 1 or more is deemed the winner. Requiring an entry be an Item probably made a lot of sense when the rule was first created years ago. But it doesn't make any sense when you consider the plethora of super short 'contests' now being run on WdC.

Besides, when you read what an activity is, it says, "Use the Activities page for events where any prizes are awarded by any means except competitive judging..." It doesn't say here that it has to be specifically an Item entry. It is talking about a forum where things are judged competitively...you know, like the rest of the world thinks of as a contest. *Bigsmile* And if one doesn't think there is skill involved in writing something super short, yet still reaching the target set by the contest owner, well, that person probably doesn't do it very well. *Laugh*

Super short contests are fun to enter and a great place for a newbie to start. Those that allow direct forum entries are perfect for those scared to post writing in their portfolio, either because they are insecure about their writing or because they have such limited space. Besides, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have to spend more time creating the item than actually typing up the entry just because the contest is required to require items instead of allowing direct forum posts or book entries. Sure, these 'contests' could be posted on the Activities page, but who looks there for a contest?? I know I sure don't and I look for contests for "The Contest Challenge a lot. It never once occurred to me to look for a contest (or what the rest of the world would consider a contest) on a non-contest page. That doesn't even make sense. lol

Changing rules and policies can be scary, but we shouldn't resist just because that's the way it's always been. Rules and policies need to keep up with the times. In the end, we have to ask ourselves, "What is a contest?" Is it a forum where 'items' are entered and judged or is it a forum where writing is entered and judged? Right now on WdC, by WdC policy it's the former, but I think that is an unintentionally narrow view. The rest of the world would consider the latter a contest.

On a slight tangent, though I wasn't involved in the correspondence about the contest in question, so I don't specifically know what happened, it would make sense that the exact reason it doesn't qualify be spelled out, at least by the 2nd try. This isn't the first time I've heard about a frustrated "contest" owner who didn't understand why their forum was an activity instead of a contest. The rules and mods should be there to help guide, not frustrate (inadvertently or not) members.

Of course, none of this is directed specifically at NW nor should it be considered a dig at her, though I know she was involved. I know she's only following the rules. I'm not saying NW is wrong about her reading of the policy on what is a contest and what isn't. I'm saying we need to rethink the policy. I believe a contest is a forum for writing to be entered and judged, no matter the format. *Smile*

FORUM
The Contest Challenge  (13+)
Join by entering a contest a month for 12 months--Win Badges! Catching up is allowed!
#2109126 by Schnujo is Late to Lannister

Technically, they aren't supposed to be called that, but everyone does.  They're "ID tags"
MESSAGE THREAD
*Idea*Make Cleaners Anonymous · 05-18-19 9:26am
by ruwth
*Star* Re: Make Cleaners Anonymous · 05-18-19 11:24am
by Schnujo is Late to Lannister
Re: Make Cleaners Anonymous · 05-21-19 5:07am
by Whata SpoonStealer

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryMistress.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3271492