*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3316689
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 10, 2020 at 7:50am
Alternative Places for Submissions

I have a small collection of non-fiction short stories ready for submission. I haven't been published in almost 40 years. Back then, I wrote historical and personal interest articles for some local enterprises and the Corps of Engineers among others. My problem currently is that my husband is the only person working. I haven't been able to work since 2011. I'm trying desperately to get published with non-fictional short stories but every venue I come across involves payment. I know that I'll have to finance some of my endeavors, but I can't seem to be taken seriously unless I dish out cash. The whole world of publishing has changed so much that I'm literally lost. I am writing a collection of memoir/short stories but I can't even get a story read by anyone other than myself. I really don't know where to begin, what's important to do and not to do, that sort of thing. There are loads of websites telling me, but often, their information is contradictory. Besides, I follow steps laid out in one place, and the next thing is, a step I can't possibly take, usually concerning cash. I follow steps someplace else, all the while time is passing, and find another wall. What gives? Or is it just me and I don't know what I'm doing? Writing is something I can do, getting published I have no idea about. I've been working on this recently for about three years and have just gotten nowhere. Meanwhile, I'm writing. The stories are piling up...

Thanks in advance for any advice!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Alternative Places for Submissions · 01-10-20 7:50am
by lauradena
Re: Alternative Places for Submissions · 01-10-20 8:55am
by Tobber
Re: Re: Alternative Places for Submissions · 01-10-20 4:11pm
by s
Re: Alternative Places for Submissions · 01-10-20 4:26pm
by Angus
Re: Re: Alternative Places for Submissions · 02-15-20 11:47pm
by Past Member 'glynisj'
Re: Alternative Places for Submissions · 01-12-20 1:46am
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3316689