*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3333774
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 24, 2020 at 9:03am
Re: Column - Writing Books
by KenF
I took a stab at answering this a few days ago, but WDC's been logging me out everytime I write a long answer. Must be a sign.

I noticed the books are very dated. I'm sure the info is good, but most of King's book wasn't concise advice and you can get it in an article on the internet nowadays.

The basic problem I have with books is when it comes to information, they've been supplanted by the internet. An article could be made of the top 10 articles or sites to read to learn all that stuff. For free.

Perhaps I live with technology differently than most writers. As a technologist, I quit using technical reference books when search engines solved my problems. I've found the same thing to be true for writing. One must learn to discern bad advice from good, but that's true in all subjects.

To further that point, I wrote the internet's only Writer's FAQ by asking every common question I saw on writer's forums into Google and vetting the links. So much has been written already, that one need not crack a book to break into the craft*.

*You do need to read books, just not ones on writing books :)
MESSAGE THREAD
Column - Writing Books · 03-22-20 7:29am
by s
*Star* Re: Column - Writing Books · 03-24-20 9:03am
by KenF
Re: Re: Column - Writing Books · 03-24-20 9:21am
by Tobber

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3333774