*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3339998
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 19, 2020 at 10:39am
Re: For exercise-Meridith at Twenty Years Old

Writing Exercise for the FSFS

Hi Randy Ames

This is my critique of your scene.

What you've given us is more snippet than a scene. It needs fleshing out re: point 2. The dialogue is floating in a void. Only the brief mention of "Jess wiping the gray bar rag across the burnished wood counter." and the paragraph at the end let the reader know the dialogue is taking place in a tavern. When writing for an audience, authors need to remember readers can't know what is in your head - what the setting looks like, unless you create images for them on the page.

Also, with regards to point 1, what is on the page is being told to us via the author's point of view, not the protagonist's. To write using the close third-person POV you need to avoid using filter words and phrases like: looked/looking, had the impression, smelled, heard, felt etc.

There was an instance of passive writing - Her clenched fist was forcing water out of the bar rag. Also, since the rest of the piece is in the past tense, this switch to the present tense jarred. My suggestion - Her clenched fist forced water out of the bar rag.

If you want to do some more work on this exercise, I will be happy to look at it again. *Smile*

If you need a pointer for the kind of thing you need to do, take a look at my scenes - "Invalid Item

*Heart* Keep writing and have fun! *Delight*

** Image ID #1802526 Unavailable **

MESSAGE THREAD
For exercise-Meridith at Twenty Years Old · 04-16-20 6:07pm
by Randy Ames
*Star* Re: For exercise-Meridith at Twenty Years Old · 04-19-20 10:39am
by A E Willcox
Re: Re: For exercise-Meridith at Twenty Years Old · 04-20-20 3:23am
by Tobber

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3339998