*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3349169
Rated: E · Message Forum · Fantasy · #2016377
Chat with fellow members and catch up on all the FSFS News!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 5, 2020 at 7:47am
Re: Discussion: Dark Fantasy
by Tobber
I'm not really clear on the defintion of dark fantasy either (if such a thing exists), but based on the submission guidelines of magazines that explicitly state they publish dark fantasy, it seems to be fantasy which is borderline horror (which is already a blurred line since so many horror stories are also fantasy). I guess that means stories with clear horror elements but where frightening the reader isn't necessarily the main purpose of the story.

I don't have great examples of this, but I think the White Walker scenes from George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series often become dark fantasy. They can be quite creepy and they basically have zombies in them, but I wouldn't exactly call them horror.

Grim-dark, the way I understand it, doesn't refer to horror elements but to a sort of gritty realism in the story and the way it portrays humans and, thus, is a completely different sub-genre.

Joe Aberchrombie, who goes by the name Lord Grimdark, is probably the best example of this, but again, A Song of Ice and Fire falls into this sub-genre as well. These are fantasy stories with gray and often down-right mean characters, and even the heroes won't come out of a battle unscathed (neither phsycially nor psychologially). It's realist fantasy that usually contains a fair deal of violence. You could say it's a realistic depiction of the old-school action-adventure fantasy stories like Conan the Barbarian.
MESSAGE THREAD
Discussion: Dark Fantasy · 05-27-20 9:57am
by A E Willcox
*Star* Re: Discussion: Dark Fantasy · 06-05-20 7:47am
by Tobber
Re: Re: Discussion: Dark Fantasy · 06-06-20 10:21am
by A E Willcox

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3349169