No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Other · #1639464
Q&A and information for all members of HSP
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 9, 2020 at 7:13pm
Re: Discussion Question #1 - 2020
jolanh WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024 Cadie Laine

There are no right or wrong answers to this Discussion Question. What we want you to notice is what makes this either erotic or romantic. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; and sometimes so is erotic or romantic. Everyone has their levels of comfort, and those levels are applied when we either write or read something. Your decision to write a scene either romantic or erotic can be based on knowing who your readers are and what their levels of comfort are.

There are several important similarities in a romance or erotic scene. Setting is one of those similarities.
In this case, the scene is a swimming pool. (can be romance or erotica). The atmosphere is humid, sultry, and the writer ‘shows’ the reader that it’s nighttime. (can be romance or erotica)

However, if this scene took place in that same pool, but both characters are nude, and possibly the writer describes Garrett’s physical arousal, then it would tend toward erotica. However, the characters are wearing bathing suits, which makes it lean toward romance.

The writer shows us that the kiss we ‘see’ is their second kiss. Allowing Garrett to return to the pool for a second kiss can show either romantic desire or set the scene to become erotica. But in this scene, the writer has kept it romantic.

What makes this scene tend toward romance is that Julie, in spite of her obvious desire, remains resolute in putting Garrett off, but with the unspoken promise that it will or can continue in the future.

There are many emotions displayed in this scene:
He went to her, but slowly. Ever so slowly. (Garrett is concerned with not overwhelming Julie; romantic)

"Kiss me again," she murmured, when he was facing her. (the emotion of desire is shown here. But it’s simply a kiss, nothing more intended, at least at first. (Romance)

"Garrett," she whispered. He felt her palms flatten against his chest, but she didn't push. "It's too soon—we have to stop, and I don’t think—I don't think I can do that if you don't' help me out a little here." (There is a slight suggestion that Julie may not want Garrett to stop; possibly she’s hoping that his desire makes him more determined. (as is, it’s romance. But if Garrett misunderstood and used more determination to get what he wants; depending on how it would be written, it could become erotica)

The face that Garrett moves back, not wanting to destroy his prospects with Julie. (Romantic)

The main point about this scene is that while it’s a romantic scene which relies heavily on desire, it would be simple enough to turn this into an erotic scene. Imagine if the characters were naked and the writer described their physical arousal in some detail. What if Garrett wasn’t as considerate, what if Julie didn’t push him away? What if they began the act of coitus, even if they were interrupted for some reason, but the writer described the act, regardless of how long or short the act was? The scene would be more erotica than romantic.

As I've explained, it would only need a few tweaks to change this scene from romantic to erotica.

If you find my comments confusing I'll be more detailed. But I'd also like to hear from you if you disagree with my comments. We're all adults so no one should be offended by a lively discussion.

Bikerider

MESSAGE THREAD
Discussion Question #1 - 2020 · 10-06-20 9:20am
by Purple is House Florent
Re: Discussion Question #1 - 2020 · 10-06-20 11:58am
by jolanh
Re: Discussion Question #1 - 2020 · 10-08-20 4:58am
by WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024
Re: Re: Discussion Question #1 - 2020 · 10-08-20 4:51pm
by Cadie Laine
*Star* Re: Discussion Question #1 - 2020 · 10-09-20 7:13pm
by Bikerider
Re: Re: Discussion Question #1 - 2020 · 10-09-20 7:28pm
by WakeUpAndLive️~🚬🚭2024
Re: Re: Re: Discussion Question #1 - 2020 · 10-09-20 7:49pm
by Bikerider
Re: Re: Discussion Question #1 - 2020 · 10-09-20 7:43pm
by Cadie Laine
Re: Re: Re: Discussion Question #1 - 2020 · 10-09-20 7:52pm
by Bikerider
Re: Re: Re: Re: Discussion Question #1 - 2020 · 10-11-20 6:25pm
by Jimminycritic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Discussion Question #1 - 2020 · 10-12-20 6:21pm
by Jimminycritic

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Purple is House Florent.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3376261