*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3406136
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 1, 2021 at 1:33am
How Editing Do
Where do you start editing? Like I know this differs from author to author but I don't even know where to start to figure out how to start editing.

I could just, start at the beginning, but then I'm only really editing for grammar and understanding-ability and like, continuity errors.

I could start with a single thing in mind like looking at sentence length to see if it can't be used for what I want, but in the process of fiddling with sentences I'm probably wrecking something else. Like ruining your process on a rubix cube in your attempts to get a new square into uh, I don't, I'm blanking on what the word for like, the thing, that a thing goes into.

I could do an overall edit, start with making sure the whole thing is in line for what I need as a whole; what counts as "the whole?" because technically things like sentence length and mood and stuff are included in that, so is general plot.

And so what happens is I stare at it for ten minutes, tear up like five sentences, and then bang my head on a desk as I move on to a different activity.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
How Editing Do · 03-01-21 1:33am
by AskMyName
Re: How Editing Do · 03-01-21 1:52am
by s
Re: Re: How Editing Do · 03-01-21 3:21am
by AskMyName
Re: How Editing Do · 03-01-21 5:24am
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
Re: Re: How Editing Do · 03-01-21 6:28am
by s
Re: Re: Re: How Editing Do · 03-02-21 4:11am
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
Re: Re: How Editing Do · 03-01-21 12:46pm
by AskMyName

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3406136