*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3421633
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 11, 2021 at 3:50pm
Idea for authoring software - Your thoughts and opinions?
I'm a software developer who also likes to write. After writing a couple books, I learned two important lessons:
-Writing books doesn't pay well, and in fact...
-Writing books can end up costing money (proofreading, editing, marketing, cover art)

I have an idea for an authoring tool I'm thinking of putting together, and would like your feedback. It'd provide free and fast proofreading, source editing, and content editing. Remember back in school when teachers would make us trade papers to proofread or grade? It's similar to that idea. Authors would "trade" chapters or pages for proofreading, line editing, and/or feedback. It'd be faster and more reliable than simply putting something out and hoping others review it; you don't get your results back until you finish your assigned review. Reviewers could build up a reputation for reliability, correctness, helpfulness, and promptness (maybe a way to make $ on the side as a freelance editor) "Dummy" pages with mistakes would get sneaked in to the rotation to make sure everyone was doing honest reviews. There's way more to it, but you get the idea.

Anyone know of anything already out there like this?
If not, is this something you think authors would go for?
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Idea for authoring software - Your thoughts and opinions? · 05-11-21 3:50pm
by JerryWeis

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3421633