*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3461250
Rated: E · Message Forum · History · #1439052
You've been transported to Europe, ca 1000 AD. Can you survive, or better yet, thrive?
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 1, 2021 at 12:59pm
In 1000 AD Europe, I'd be the village idiot. Yep.
by Peabody
*Dollar* 500 GPs were sent to Victoria Earle with this post.
Dear Victoria Earle,

Thank you very much for the opportunity to play this game. This seems like a lot of fun.

Let's see. In 1000 AD Europe? I wouldn't have any of the necessary skills. I wouldn't know how to speak Old Saxon, Old Franconian, sufficient Latin (none of it Medieval Church), Medieval Arabic, Medieval French or Medieval Italian (both still half-Latin but not consistently so).

To them I'd be babbling a non-speak. I suppose they could thump me and use hand gestures to command me which work to do. That's assuming anyone would actually be nice enough to take me in!

On the subject of skills:

Hmm. Although I'm passably computer literate, I don't know the difference between wolfsbane, wormroot, or any of the other Dark Ages cornucopia of "medicines." I wouldn't even know which of the half-pagan farming idols that the poor country serfs would still be worshipping in secret. Thus I'd be open for charges of "witchcraft."

I don't know the basics like starting a fire from nothing. I don't know the correct ways to use rotted fish as fertilizer (in coastal areas). I don't know how to use cow poop as fertilizer, or how much is too much (assuming that there are actually cows in the area, cows being a fairly expensive item in the Dark Ages). Again, I would probably need a "master" to thump me.

I don't even know the proper technique for cooking a proper Pig's Bladder Stew. I mean, I'm really lame!

The village insiders would probably poke fun at me in one of their Dark Ages languages that I wouldn't understand, so, yeah, "village idiot" would almost certainly be the label that I would wear.

So. That was fun. Thank you very much again for affording me this opportunity to play. I like the truth, even if it's harsh on me. Thanks again.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
In 1000 AD Europe, I'd be the village idiot. Yep. · 11-01-21 12:59pm
by Peabody

<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Victoria Earle.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3461250