*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3461553
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(668)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #126963
A warm welcome to our newbies; come meet new and not-so-new members of Writing.Com!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 2, 2021 at 11:55am
Not so newbie returning from a 6-year hiatus
Greetings from the foothills of the Smoky Mountains!

I'm not really new, but I've been gone for quite a while. Life has a way of disrupting even the most thoughtful, well-laid plans. I write not for fame or fortune but for the love of writing. There is a power in words that is realized by few for it is not great leaders who shape the history of the world. It is the writers who tell the stories.

I have spent my entire professional life writing software, designing networks, and tracking down hackers from all over the globe. All in all, it hasn't been a bad way to spend the last 40+ years. However, medical issues have forced me into an early retirement of sorts, and I have suddenly found myself with tons of free time. I love to write. I love to read. Is it any surprise that I ended up back here?

Although I journal almost every day, blogged on occasion, and have written tons of technical articles, I haven't really given much thought to actually writing a story. I wrote many stories as a child and as a teenager. I spent lots of time in hospitals in all manner of casts, having all sorts of surgeries where I was carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey, and spent MONTHS doing physical therapy for 6 hours a day. Writing was a way to stay occupied during my downtime. I don't have a genre, and I like to read many things. Poetry would have to be my least favorite thing to read or write(apologies to all of the poets out there!).

I have no earthly idea what I am going to contribute here. Honestly, I am still trying to transition from my "geek brain". My writing style has evolved over the years from being mostly a "seat of the pants" kind of guy to more of an outline and orderly kind of guy. I love mind mapping for new story ideas and character development, and when it's time to start fleshing it all out, my tool of choice is Scrivener. I just upgraded to the latest version, and it looks like there are TONS of features for me to explore.

I look forward reading your stories and getting to know all of you through your writing. Good luck on your great adventure!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Not so newbie returning from a 6-year hiatus · 11-02-21 11:55am
by Cyberwraith
Re: Not so newbie returning from a 6-year hiatus · 11-02-21 1:15pm
by Nikola~Loving Her Gracie Girl!

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryMistress.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3461553