*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3497704
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 6, 2022 at 10:49am
Edited: May 6, 2022 at 10:52am
Re: Looking for someone to brainstorm with!
Hello Steven reads Ursula K PenGuin and Anonymous! Thank you for your replies.

I understand what you are saying, and I would never use anything in an inappropriate manner. I respect the Cherokee people and find many of their myths really interesting (thought some are quite scary). However, many authors have incorporated Raven Mockers and other objects of American Indian mythology into their writing, so it wouldn't be something new.

My protagonist, whom I have decided to name Vanessa because it means 'butterfly', will more than likely be of Cherokee descent, though I'm still not sure as to what era my book will take place in, so her mother may be Cherokee, or Vanessa may just have Cherokee ancestors.

As to my antagonist, I was actually considering making the Raven Mocker himself the antagonist, because according to myths, Raven Mockers are basically heart-eating demons who can mimic ravens and be invisible. And I have two reasons for choosing him to be Vanessa's father and her enemy: 1. This leaves room for me to experiment with the possibility of Vanessa having supernatural abilities, and 2. I can play in the theme of Vanessa breaking away from her father and who he wants her to be so that she can create for herself who she is; which is why I will make Vanessa decide for herself what her name is at some point during the book, and she chooses 'Vanessa' for its particular meaning.

I really appreciate your feedback and would love to hear from you again!

-DW
MESSAGE THREAD
Looking for someone to brainstorm with! · 05-04-22 12:45pm
by Daffodil Washburn
Re: Looking for someone to brainstorm with! · 05-04-22 6:17pm
by s
Re: Looking for someone to brainstorm with! · 05-04-22 7:40pm
by ℰ𝒯𝒞...
*Star* Re: Looking for someone to brainstorm with! · 05-06-22 10:49am
by Daffodil Washburn

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3497704