*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/856920
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #774192
Do you have socially unacceptable writing? Come on in....
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 29, 2004 at 2:43am
Re: Interesting
You just now found the petition? I was one of the first to sign...lucky number 13. *Wink*

So, I've read all the posts, from the first to the last. I don't know who exactly this person is who's crying discrimination, so I didn't try to jump to any unfound conclusions about that. I saw some people say something along the line of: "This person needs to stop confusing constructive criticism with discrimination," and I don't know how those people arrived at that notion, so that upset me a bit.

I didn't focus on the person asking people to sign the other petition, I focused on SM and SMs. And from the recent debacle, SM and SMs's anti-discriminatory ways have only become more evident to me. Even if a Moderator is a leader on Writing.Com, and the action they take is indeed discriminatory (going back to Islander, here), that's no justification for attacking Writing.Com and its principles, since only 6 hours after the rating change, justice was served.

Our good friend nextmrsgoins made post #59. Here it is in the forum, "Invalid Post"  , but I'll post the last 5 paragraphs here, since those are the ones relevant to the discussion:

I've found myself in the middle of a heated debate on the very issue of whether Writing.com has discriminated against people and made my views very clear (note item #839815) in the fact that I chose to speak up against an individual who was slandering the community and it's leaders.

In return, I've been slammed on The Acid Tongue. Don't get me wrong, my feelings are not hurt in the least, for if these people truly feel the way they do about this site, I am missing nothing by being excluded from their company. But I will continue to stand up for what I believe in and won't be intimidated or bullied into changing my stand.

What I don't get is, if they feel this is such a bad place, why do they stay, and worse yet, why do they gather into a forum and bad-mouth the site instead of having the guts to speak out?

If I'm labeled a brown-noser for speaking up for Writing.com, then I label them cowards for not speaking up for THEIR beliefs!

I "signed" the petition, and I know Elisa posted, so this view that we hate the site makes no sense. I don't know if she's including my review in this case. I never actually received any thanks from her for my review, so I have reason to believe that she somehow felt insulted. I'm not sure why. I was very polite. I don't think you were impolite, Tiny, although you were a bit more harsh.

She seems to think that, by giving her mediocre (me) and scathing (Tiny) reviews of her item, we condoned everything that Islander did. Actually, that had nothing to do with my review. My low rating came because she was jumping to conclusions about Islander's item, despite never taking the time to read it, and she used incorrect, even dangerous, reasoning. I was particularly troubled by...

My advice to you is to first respect yourself and the fact that you are gay and not tarnish this by showing people a very hostile and vulgar image of yourself as you did in this letter.

...since it claims that Islander "tarnished" the image of homosexuality by using foul language, despite the fact that those things are completely unrelated.

But it's not worth it to dwell on the words of Word Warrior. I agree with the petition. Whatever else may or may not be true, SM and SMs don't discriminate.

Davy Kraken
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
My Rating Philosophy  (ASR)
My view on the Writing.Com rating system.
#668772 by St. Patrickraken

FOLDER
Quorilax  (13+)
"The size of your body does not reflect the magnitude of your soul."
#541052 by St. Patrickraken

STATIC
Quorilax: Rising Tide  (13+)
"The universe would not be the same without the little things."
#537563 by St. Patrickraken

Hyperbole  (13+)
In tribute to one of the great literary devices.
#576342 by St. Patrickraken

STATIC
Dawn of the Phoenix  (ASR)
Dust and ashes of the earth 'til the moment of rebirth.
#716865 by St. Patrickraken

Force of Nature  (ASR)
You are at the mercy of the elements.
#600372 by St. Patrickraken

The Morality of Suicide  (13+)
A response to Thomas Aquinas.
#829964 by St. Patrickraken

The Perfect Poem  (E)
Well almost.
#733152 by Becky Simpson

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#614696 by Not Available.

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#831417 by Not Available.

** Image ID #738286 Unavailable **

"Crack Kraken's Code Contest Logo" by ~LadyBee~
"Dawn of the Phoenix" by tomas_hatala
"King of the Final Frontier" by spazticllama
MESSAGE THREAD
Interesting · 04-29-04 1:04am
by CTalley
*Star* Re: Interesting · 04-29-04 2:43am
by St. Patrickraken
Re: Re: Interesting · 04-29-04 10:46am
by Beyond the Cloud9
Re: Re: Re: Interesting · 04-29-04 2:09pm
by CTalley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting · 04-29-04 4:04pm
by St. Patrickraken
Re: Re: Interesting · 04-30-04 11:24pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Re: Re: Interesting · 04-30-04 11:30pm
by CTalley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting · 05-01-04 12:04am
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting · 05-01-04 12:28am
by CTalley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting · 05-01-04 11:11am
by St. Patrickraken
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting · 05-01-04 7:05pm
by St. Patrickraken
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting · 05-02-04 12:28am
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting · 05-02-04 12:49am
by St. Patrickraken

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Elisa the Bunny Stik.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/856920