*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/2346496-Dream-Schemes-for-Eric-Murphy
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1510047
A mysterious book allows you to disguise yourself as anyone.
This choice: Do it for Eric -- That's who you'll likely be, mostly  •  Go Back...
Chapter #49

Dream Schemes for Eric Murphy

    by: Seuzz
Once you've decided to play things for Eric's benefit, it's pretty easy to come up with four names as a starting point. Tim Ryan. Melanie Saxon. Barbara Powell. And Brianna Kirschke.

Well, Barbara's name is tentative. You'll go with her if no one else occurs to you before picking her up Friday for your date.

And yes, in Eric's mind, Barbara Powell has already graduated from "girl he wants to run into at an upcoming party" to "girl he's picking up Friday night for a date."

But you don't give Fairfax these names. You just text Maria: got idesas all dun wen i get masks fr thm

She replies thirty minutes later, interrupting your porn time. What are you trying to say?

With great care and deliberation you type out your reply: i know who i want for the impersinations. when do i get the masks to use on them?

Maria: Who are they?

tog 17 names get frst whos convinent.
You follow it with GOT 17 names i men.

She calls you directly. "Did someone break your freaking thumbs?"

"What's so hard to understand? I told you I've got, like, seventeen names of people I can use, but who I go with depends on who I catch up to or catch first. So, when can you get me the masks so I can start getting them?"

"Who are some of these people?"

You start improvising. "Brianna Gould, Philippa Hosford, Rebecca Sykes, Kyle Kent, Tim Murphy, Carl Dorkbutt. Uh. Hermione Gilbert. Danielle Decker."

"Danielle would be good."

"I know, right?" Danielle? How did her name slip out? "Barbara Powell, Kristina Townes, Parker Stott -- Yeah, he's on the list. Jack Li and Wendy Terrill, too, since you're so queer for the color guard faggots. Perry Small, Jamie Rennerhoff, Melanie Saxon -- "

Had to slip her in.

"Nancy Trent, Joe Thomason, Brianna Kirschke -- "

"Wait. Joe Thomason?"

"Yeah, you want some guys at the bottom of the class, maybe, to find out how far down any news trickles."

"I don't think we need to go that far down, Will."

"How about Chen, then? Need some drug money to finance this operation?"

"Ugh. Let's stay far away from that kind of thing. Look, the criteria is, people who are maximally distant from each other while still being in proximity to Eric. Or to me. To my own beta, too, I guess." A pause. "Add Howie Baylor to the list."

"Sure," you say, and briefly cradle your nuts. Fuck Howie Baylor as a choice. "But you see what I mean. Just give me some masks and I'll get them onto -- "

"It'll be late tomorrow afternoon before we can get any made, and it'll probably be early evening. Time enough for you to tell me who you've picked in particular and to invite them out to the storage complex."

"What for? I don't need to do it there."

"Well, to pick up the masks, at least. And you can use our 'making a video' excuse to get them out there where we can do the replacement. We've been pretty successful with that."

You feel like you're arguing with your mom again. "I don't need to do that! I just need to get alone with someone so I can -- !"

"Alright, I don't want to fight about it! Christ, Will, I hope this is Eric you're acting like, and you'll be a lot easier to work with as Parker, or whoever you wind up with."

Yeah, you smirk to yourself. I just bet Melanie Saxon will be a lot easier for you to work with, asshole.

* * * * *

Beta-Philip is waiting for you in the student parking lot when you arrive early the next morning. He says he wants some names from you -- "Specific names," he says after you start improvising another list. "Four names. Actually, just one, the person you're going to bring out to the complex this afternoon" -- but you put him off by saying you're going improvise.

"Look, just tell Maria I need a mask," you say. "Just one mask this afternoon. I don't need to get into the fucking complex or anything, because I'm just gonna grab 'em when I see 'em. After I get that person, I'll look around and see who would be a good second person. Okay?"

The beta grumbles, but agrees to pass the word on to his alpha.

And that gives you the day to daydream about which of your targets you are going to go for first.

* * * * *

"Hey Mel," you pant as you jog up next to her in the parking lot after school. "Got a minute to talk?"

She glares. "Fuck off, Eric."

"No, come on, babe. Seriously."

"I'm not talking to you, you son of a -- !" She slaps your hand away as you try brushing her shoulder.

"Babe, I'm sorry, really and for true I am." You hop out in front of her and slide your shades down to the end of your nose. You make big, googly eyes at her.

That stops her in her tracks, and she huffs out a sigh. "So what do you want? I've gotta get home and start an early supper for my mom."

"Hey, I can help you with that! Remember my lasagna, I made that great lasagna?"

That draws a smile from her. "That was a great lasagna." Then she snarls. "But you're still a son of a -- "

"I know I am, baby," you say in a small voice. "That's how come I want to take it all back. I never meant to say we were breaking up."

"You said we were never even dating!"

"I said we never said we were. It was a miscommunication. I assumed something, and that made an ass of you, and it made an ass out of me."

"I guess I've been kind of an ass," she admits, and she hangs her head. "I've been telling people I'm going to -- "

"I heard what you're telling people, baby, and that's what made me realize I was an ass too. I want us to go back to the way we were." You lift her chin with your finger and kiss her delicately on the mouth. She tries to slip you tongue, but you pull back. "We'll drive someplace private," you say, and she puts her arm around your waist as you guide her to your Jeep. "Got something to give you," you say as you unzip your pack. The mask gleams --

-- and the second period bell shatters the fantasy.

* * * * *

"So what are we doing here?" Tim asks as you shut the motor off. The Jeep glides forward a few feet toward the river bank before rocking to a gentle stop. "Oh God, you brought me here to suck me off, didn't you?"

"No! Except I do got something I wanna talk to you about that's got something to do with, uh, you know."

You lean forward and look around. The riverbank is completely empty for hundreds of yards on either side, as it should be, even on a Friday, when it's barely four o'clock in the afternoon. The romancers and sex deviants won't come out until the sun's down, at least. "I want to talk about Melanie."

Tim starts to get out of the Jeep. You haul him back by the shoulder. "No, come on, man, I'm serious. I really got her on my mind."

"Naturally, since you're worried she's gonna come after your cock with a butcher knife."

"I think I want to get back together with her."

Tim instantly says, "Oh God," then follows it up with, "You are so fucked in the head."

"No, I've been thinking about it, and I think you're right. I think I shouldn't have broken up with her."

"I said you shouldn't have been going out with her to start with!"

"But once I started," you counter, "you think I should've stuck with her."

"Well, once you start something, you really should stick with it," he says with surprising earnestness. He puts his hand on your shoulder. "Whatever help or support you need from me, you know you can count on it."

"Thanks, man, that means a lot. Um, I got her a present that I want to give her, to show how sincere I am about getting back together. Lemme get it out of the cargo space and show you."

You scamper around to the back of the Jeep. The mask gleams in the late afternoon sunlight as you lift it from the hold --

"Eric," says Mr. Muniz, "would you like to do the next problem at the board for us?"

* * * * *

"Wow, you sure clean up nice," Barbara says as she pulls shut the front door to her house. "Oops." She covers her mouth, and grins shyly. "I didn't mean to make it sound like you're, you know, a slob or anything at school."

You brush her gaffe aside with a careless toss of the hand. "I like to dress casual at school. But tonight's special, I wanted to look my best."

"You look great," she says, and she runs her eyes up and down your frame with an expression of unappeased hunger. You whirl around once, so she can get a good ogle at your butt in the pressed Levis, and enjoy the sculpted curve of your back and shoulders inside the casual sports coat. You're even wearing a tie. But you're still wearing your ball cap, tilting it rakishly over one eye, so she'll know you don't take yourself too seriously.

And Barbara twirls for you. She's in a simple cotton summer dress with sandals, for the weather turned unseasonably warm when you weren't looking, and the sun is setting about two hours later than it should, so that a golden halo of light enwreathes you as you lead her by the hand to your Jeep. "I love your wheels," she says. "So sporty!"

You help her in. "I didn't bring you a corsage, because it's not prom. Well, not yet." You reach into the back seat, and grasp the cool mask. Barbara squeals and kisses you before you can bring it out, though, and --

* * * * *

You don't have time to fantasize about Brianna -- one of Melanie's best friends -- before school lets out.

You have the following choices:

1. Start with Melanie Saxon

*Noteb*
2. Start with Tim Ryan

*Noteb*
3. Start with Barbara Powell

4. Start with Brianna Kirschke

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Seuzz (UN: seuzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/2346496-Dream-Schemes-for-Eric-Murphy