*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. A Dark Dawn Blooms
  2. Pick a Character
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1138776-The-Swords-Edge/cid/338153-A-Dark-Dawn-Blooms
Rated: GC · Interactive · Fantasy · #1138776
When a country must be won and lost by the song and gleam of the sword...
This choice: Aeric  •  Go Back...
Chapter #2

A Dark Dawn Blooms

    by: Professor Q
"They're coming."

Aeric sighed, running a hand over his blonde braids, and raising his eyes up to the throne, in which sat Prince Kian D'ahra, heir to the throne of Gwynvyr. He had expected something that this when a grim-faced messanger in Kian's personal livery had knocked on his door at naught past dawn ordering him to the palace immediately. Expected, maybe, but hoped that he really wouldn't have to hear the actual words. And here he was, the sun just above the horizon, gazing at the man who relied on him to save the Kingdom.

Already I have to plan a battle force and I haven't even broken my fast. What a time for those damned Dunnagan to announce their intention for the throne! Couldn't have waited until the afternoon?

"Aeric?" The Prince's obsidian eyes sparkled in fear. "What are we going to do? I'm not so skilled in fighting as you. I never have been. And this is certainly not the time for diplomacy."

Chuckling ironically, Aeric shook his head and wiped a tear from his emerald eyes. A pit had slowly developed in his stomach; everything seemed slightly tilted now, somehow different than the world had been last night. Darker, more shadowy, as if Alcuin de Cistain had sent demons to converge on the corners of Castle Achain.

"We have two months at least, before Alcuin has raised a force large enough to conquer Gwynvyr. If he has just received approval...?"

Kian nodded. "Yes. He has just received approval. Our spies in his court keep us well updated."

Aeric gave a quirked grin and looked down at the marble floors of the throne room. Maegyn no Cistain, the wife of the King of Dunnagal, had turned against his bid for Gwynvyr's throne and offered to aid Kian's cause. The irony of the situation never failed to amuse Aeric, and most of Kian's court, for that matter. A joke ran through the ranks that, should Alcuin not survive his usurpation attempt, Kian would have to marry Maegyn out of gratitude.

"Good. Two months at least. Then, given the unpredictability of the seas at that point, we could have a long time before Alcuin even begins to threaten our shores. It gives us plenty of time to raise an army."

Kian pursed his lips in thought. "Should we...maybe send an emissary over to the Fae?"

"The OtherWorld? Are you mad? Why on earth would they help us?"

"Because, if Alcuin wins the throne, the Manna will revolt. And the Fae have a big stake in the Manna."

You have the following choices:

1. Agree to talk to the Fae

*Noteb*
2. Continue to talk about battle plans

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Professor Q (UN: rainangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Professor Q has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1138776-The-Swords-Edge/cid/338153-A-Dark-Dawn-Blooms