*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Let the Games Begin!
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1795728-Olympia-2020/cid/1153559-Let-the-Games-Begin
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Sports · #1795728
Come to Rome for the 32nd Summer Olympiad!
Chapter #1

Let the Games Begin!

    by: Elisa the Bunny Stik
Standing by the Fountains of the Naiads, you take a moment to sit back and watch Rome go by. In the back of your mind, you know this serene moment won't last forever. The Opening Ceremonies are tomorrow night, the prelude to two weeks of nonstop activity. The hustle and bustle seen now will only increase, as buses carrying athletes and spectators will clog the streets, making an already balmy city even hotter. At least the public water is safe to drink. There have been rumors of bottled water shortages floating around town, but considering the number of languages currently being spoken in the city, it's hard to tell if there's any merit to them.

It seems fitting that the ever morphing Olympics are taking place in a city where change has been the one constant. You've heard people call this place the Eternal City, even though there is quite a bit of construction that has only been here the last 50 to 70 years. The history permeates even the most modern of buildings, though, shedding light on the city's unique culture in a country renowned for its aesthetic qualities. Will this sense of eternity be present in the new Olympic venues? You will find out soon enough. In the meantime, you take any free time you can get to go out and see the many aspects of Rome. Given how long it took you to get into Vatican City yesterday, there's no way of knowing when (or even if) you'll get to see the Coliseum. People stand in lines almost kilometers in length to see all the sights. At least in the plazas you can enjoy all the artwork without having to wait around. Yes, the traffic can get in the way, but hey. You get what you pay for, and for not having to pay anything to see the sculptures of the Naiads it's a good deal.

Even while relaxing, you find yourself reviewing your itinerary in your mind. The Opening Ceremonies are tomorrow, and you have big plans for that. From there, you know that swimming and artistic gymnastics events will be the spotlight events for the first week. Athletics will have to wait until the following Sunday to capture the world's attention. During all of that, football and basketball games will take over every usable arena in the city as well as its suburban areas. Likewise, the Mediterranean Sea will become inundated with open water swimmers and triathletes. You remind yourself again to avoid various streets that will be closed due to the marathon events later on during the Games. In between all these events, you'll have to squeeze in a meal or two, but you know the restaurants are going to be perpetually crowded. Maybe someone from the area can give you some hints on tucked away dining establishments most of the crowds don't even know exist. Whatever happens, you know these next couple weeks will be made for the history books, and you can't wait! You are ready for the excitement and even all the waiting around you know you'll be doing before, during and after each competition. This is something you've spent your life imagining, and it's going to become reality in the next 24 hours.

But, in the grand scheme of this worldwide celebration, who are you?

You have the following choices:

1. An athlete

2. A spectator

3. A press corps member

4. An official

5. Other

Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Elisa the Bunny Stik (UN: soledad_moon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elisa the Bunny Stik has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1795728-Olympia-2020/cid/1153559-Let-the-Games-Begin