*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1974478-The-Transplant/cid/1909997-Your-girlfriend-Allison-Lowry
by Wassel
Rated: GC · Interactive · Adult · #1974478
Experimental brain transplant surgery saves either your life, or someone very close.
This choice: Your girlfriend, Allison Lowry received the transplant.  •  Go Back...
Chapter #2

Your girlfriend, Allison Lowry.

    by: Wassel
"Well obviously you weren't the only one involved in the crash, and I'm afraid... Well, it's your girlfriend, Allison."

Hearing your girlfriend's name, you couldn't help but gasp. Recalling how she'd been sitting right next to you when the truck or car, or whatever it was had hit you. The look on Dr. Kerry's face suggesting that whatever it was he was trying to tell you was definitely not good news.

"I'm afraid she's..." Kerry continued. Pausing for a moment to ask himself, "Hm... How should I put this?"

Not prepared to wait for him to find the right words, this being your girlfriend he was talking about, you loudly yelped, "What about her? What's happened? Is she okay?" Panic setting it.

"In a manner of speaking, yes." Came his reply. This answer not exactly filling you with confidence. "Unfortunately, Allison didn't get off quite as lightly as you did. The truck that struck your van crashed into the side that she was sitting. Meaning that she bore most of the impact."

"Oh my God..." you mumbled. Immediately fearing the worst. Did this mean that she was now wheelchair bound, or perhaps some kind of vegetable being kept alive by machines? All these thoughts and more rushing through your brain. Very much dreading what the doctor was going to say next.

"Her body was badly injured and she was already in critical condition when she reached the hospital," Kerry continued. Laying it all out now. "Quite frankly, there was very little we could do for her. Even with the best efforts of our medical team, there was simply no way she was going to make it. That is why we made a decision to use a rather new and... experimental procedure to save her life. A procedure that to be honest, was not actually approved by the medical board, nor the hospital."

So this was what they'd been arguing about before. Having wrongly assumed that you'd just been hearing things due to the drugs. Did that mean then that what he'd said earlier about transplanting brains had actually been true? Had they really done that to Allison?

"But... but she's alive though?" you made sure to ask first. This being the most important thing after all. "She's not dead?"

"No, she's perfectly fine," he smiled, "and recovering well from the operation. She's just... no longer quite how you remembered her..."

"What do you mean? You're not seriously trying to tell me that you put her brain inside someone else's body are you? I mean that's impossible...Isn't it?" Doubting yourself now as you said it.

"Actually, it's not. The procedure is very real. It's just never been done on a human being before. Until today that is. Until your girlfriend's condition left us with no other option. It may sound a little far fetched and 'out there', but scientists and doctors have being experimenting with brain transplantation for years, for situations just like this one. And so far, as far as we can tell, the procedure has been a resounding success." Even though he was trying to be as professional as he could, as he said this he couldn't stop a little smirk from appearing on his face, clearly being quite proud of himself over what he had achieved. "There is no sign of brain injury or nerve damage, and all of Allison's synapses appear to be firing correctly. As soon as she wakes up she should have 100% feeling and full motor control of her new body."

The more he talked however, the more this all seemed like some bad plot from a comic book that made absolutely no sense at all to you. Trying desperately to wrap your head around it. Allison... Your girlfriend of the last 4 years was now someone else. It was... It was insane!

"I know it's a difficult concept to grasp, Tim," Saunders again piped in, "but I assure you, this really is the truth."

"Well then... where is she?" you asked. Very much wanting to see her now. To see for yourself and make sure that she was alright. "Who is she? I have a right to know."

"Of course you do," the older doctor sighed. "I'm just worried, that given the circumstances and the fact that you are still recovering... Well, it might be a lot to take in right now."

"Please." you begged. "Tell me! I need to know."

"Alright. But I don't want you getting too worked up now," he finally relented. Seeing the desperation in your eyes. Looking to Dr. Kerry again, who gave him a little nod. Before then informing you that, "The persons who's body Allison is now in is..."
*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Wassel (UN: wassel29 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wassel has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1974478-The-Transplant/cid/1909997-Your-girlfriend-Allison-Lowry