*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1974478-The-Transplant/cid/1909996-Your-best-friend-Randall-Davis
by Wassel
Rated: GC · Interactive · Adult · #1974478
Experimental brain transplant surgery saves either your life, or someone very close.
This choice: Your best friend, Randall Davis received the transplant.  •  Go Back...
Chapter #2

Your best friend, Randall Davis.

    by: Wassel
"Well obviously you weren't the only one involved in the crash, and I'm afraid... Well, it's your friend, Randall."

Hearing your best friend's name, you couldn't help but gasp. Recalling how he'd been sitting beside you when the truck or car, or whatever it was had hit you. The look on Dr. Kerry's face suggesting that whatever it was he was trying to tell you was definitely not good news.

"I'm afraid he's..." Kerry continued. Pausing for a moment to ask himself, "Hm... How should I put this?"

Not prepared to wait for him to find the right words, this being your best friend he was talking about, you loudly yelped, "What about him? What's happened? Is he okay?" Panic setting it.

"In a manner of speaking, yes." Came his reply. This answer not exactly filling you with confidence. "Unfortunately, Randall didn't get off quite as lightly as you did. The truck that struck your van crashed into the side that he was sitting. Meaning that he bore most of the impact."

"Oh my God..." you mumbled. Immediately fearing the worst. Did this mean that he was now wheelchair bound, or perhaps some kind of vegetable being kept alive by machines? All these thoughts and more rushing through your brain. Very much dreading what the doctor was going to say next.

"His body was badly injured and he was already in critical condition when he reached the hospital," Kerry continued. Laying it all out now. "Quite frankly, there was very little we could do for him. Even with the best efforts of our medical team, there was simply no way he was going to make it. That is why we made a decision to use a rather new and... experimental procedure to save his life. A procedure that to be honest, was not actually approved by the medical board, nor the hospital."

So this was what they'd been arguing about before. Having wrongly assumed that you'd just been hearing things due to the drugs. Did that mean then that what he'd said earlier about transplanting brains had actually been true? Had they really done that to Randall?

Putting this question to Dr. Kerry, he seemed slightly embarrassed that you'd actually overheard this. Telling you however that, "Yes. That is exactly what we did." Correcting himself slightly then. "Well, not his entire brain obviously. Only a part of it. Enough of Randall to keep him alive."

"Bu-bu... But how?" you stuttered. Still having trouble buying this. "That's not real is it? That's like something out of a science fiction movie." A bad one at that.

"I assure you it is not," he said. His tone perfectly serious and solemn. Giving no indication that he was lying. "Dr. Saunders and I have been researching and experimenting with brain transplantation for nearly twenty years now. For situations just like this one. It has actually been theoretically possible for quite some time. It's simply never been tested on a human being before. Until now. Until your friend's condition left us with no other option."

Although this still seemed completely impossible to you, right now your friend's life was way more important than whatever it was they'd done. Needing to be sure that he was in fact alright. "And... And it worked did it? Randall's alive?"

"He is indeed. The operation has been a resounding success, and your friend is recovering well, as far as we can tell." A smirk appearing on Kerry's face as he said this. Clearly being rather proud of himself and his work, and being quite unable to hide it. "There is no sign of brain injury or nerve damage, and all of Randall's synapses appear to be firing correctly. As soon as he wakes up he should have full control of his new motor functions, as well as all five senses."

The more he talked however, the more this all seemed like some bad plot from a comic book that made absolutely no sense at all. Trying desperately to wrap your head around it. Randall... Your best friend Randall was now someone else. It was... It was insane!

"I know it's a difficult concept to grasp, Tim," Saunders again piped in, "but I assure you, this really is the truth."

"Well then... where is he?" you asked. Very much wanting to see him now. To see for yourself and make sure that he was alright. "Who is he? I have a right to know."

"Of course you do," the older doctor sighed. "I'm just worried, that given the circumstances and the fact that you are still recovering... Well, it might be a lot to take in right now."

"Please." you begged. "Tell me! I need to know."

"Alright. But I don't want you getting too worked up," he finally relented. Seeing the desperation in your eyes. Looking to Dr. Kerry again, who gave him a little nod. Before then informing you that, "The person who's body Randall is now in is..."
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Wassel (UN: wassel29 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wassel has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1974478-The-Transplant/cid/1909996-Your-best-friend-Randall-Davis