*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2202398-Supernatural-Beauty/cid/2787910-Sam-goes-back-to-the-pond
Rated: GC · Interactive · Supernatural · #2202398
A group of friends battle the supernatural and look good while doing it...
This choice: Sam goes back to the pond  •  Go Back...
Chapter #8

Sam goes back to the pond

    by: HikerAngel
Sam awoke with a palpitating start the next morning, wiping beads of sweat from the creases in his forehead. Candace’s iridescent eyes lingered in his groggy retinas, an unsettling vestige of turbulent dreams.

He lay on his bed for a long moment, consumed, as he often was, with Candace in his waking mind. His memory drifted down her bikini-clad body, relishing the delicious sight of the sexy, soon-to-be-coed before all of the craziness yesterday. His breathing grew deeper as he felt the thrill of arousal quicken his heart. He lay on the bed, lost in the hazy remnants of his covetous subconscious as it played desirous cinema through his mind.

His lips pressed against hers urgently, the tension of the life-giving moment metamorphosing into a different sort of excitement in his fantasy-shaded memory. He quivered with exhilaration, held taut by the strings of infatuation like a dancing marionette.

He dropped his hand downward to rub himself when the spell that dream-Candace had woven around him was suddenly shattered by a knock on his bedroom door.

“Wake up, sleepyhead!” came his mother’s voice. “Breakfast’s ready!”

Damn it!

Wanting to indulge himself, but no longer in the mood, Sam slid his legs off the bed and stood on wobbly legs.

He nearly slipped on a comic book on this way to the dresser, kicking it away. It skittered to a halt across the room. Arriving at his dresser, he put on some sweats over his underwear and slipped a t-shirt over his bare chest.

When he plopped at the kitchen table, his mom circled him and ruffled his hair.

“I’m so proud of you, Sam,” she announced affectionately. “Saving that girl and all? You’re growing up to be quite a young man. You remind me so much of your father.”

Sam’s heart rose at the former and fell at the latter of his mother’s words. He had never known his father, a firefighter who had died rescuing a family in a final act of heroism. Sam swallowed away the lump in his throat, attempting to forget the well of emotions that his mom’s words had tapped as he picked up his fork to dive into the steaming pancakes before him.

He took a large mouthful, his mouth forming a crooked grin as he chewed airy, maple-soaked goodness.

“Thanks, mom!” he mumbled as he took another bite.

His mother simply watched him eat, proud warmth crinkling upward the corners of both eyes and lips.

***

Sam slammed the car door shut, making his way past clusters of uniformed people, sand shifting under his feet. As he approached the pond, he saw the divers coming out of the water shaking their heads. The lead diver pulled off his mask.

“Nothing,” he told the surly police officer.

“Damn. That Matt kid said he was certain they had to be in there somewhere. Said he had ‘em in his hands…” The large man responded.

As Sam stepped toward the lapping water, he drew the cop’s annoyed attention.

“What are you doing? he said, pointedly, to Sam. “Get away from there! Did you see the police tape?”

Sam turned to face him.

“Police tape?”

“Damn it! Murphy! Did you forget to put up the damn tape again? We’re expecting to find bodies for God’s sake!”

Another man, presumably Murphy, piped up.

“You didn’t tell me to…” The senior man cut him off, still staring at Sam.

“Do I have to tell you every little thing to do? Now put up the Goddamn tape!”

“Yes, sir.”

“Now, kid, get lost. Police business,” he said to Sam, pointing back toward the parking lot.

Sam hung his head and complied. It was too bad. For some reason, he thought that if he were present for the discovery of the bodies, it might give him some closure on the world-rattling trauma of yesterday’s extraordinary events.

As he reached his car, he watched Matt pull up in the space next to his.

“Hey,” he said as Matt got out of the car.

“‘Sup.” Matt surveyed the scene, grimly watching Murphy struggle to untangle police tape that was caught on some bushes at the edge of the beach. “They find ‘em?”

“No,” Sam said quietly. “They tried divers, I think, but they came up empty. I think I heard someone say they were going to try dragging the pond next.”

Matt said nothing, staring ahead toward the hurried uniforms on the beach.

“You okay?” asked Sam.

Matt remained silent for a long moment, not looking at Sam, eyes still unfocused, gazing directly ahead.

“I feel… strange,” he said. “Ever since yesterday.”

“Me too,” replied Sam. “Seeing all that? Not finding those parachutists? It’s got me feeling pretty weird too.”

“I don’t just mean emotionally. I mean physically too,” said Matt.

“Physically?”

Matt seemed to break out of his trance and finally looked toward Sam.

“F-forget I said anything, ‘kay?” he said, eyes darting between Sam and the sand at his feet a couple of times as he spoke. “Thanks, man.”

With that, Matt got back in his car and left.

“Ooooookay?” Sam intoned aloud. That was… odd.

As he walked to his own car to leave, he heard the ding of a text message on his phone. He fished it out of his pocket and looked at the screen.

It was from Candace.
*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 HikerAngel (UN: hikerangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
HikerAngel has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2202398-Supernatural-Beauty/cid/2787910-Sam-goes-back-to-the-pond