*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2236945-The-Non-Canonical-Book-of-Masks/cid/3077079-Keiths-Choice-Your-Indecision
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #2236945
Includes non-canonical chapters from "The Book of Masks".
This choice: Keith can play Cindy; you'll play another girl  •  Go Back...
Chapter #32

Keith's Choice, Your Indecision

    by: rugal b.
"Which one of us," you ask.

While it's true that you never did say which of you was going to become Cindy but that's because you didn't think it really needed to be said; at least not said by you anyway. Because as much you would like feel her soft platinum hair on your head, shirts tightly hug lovely breasts and the cool autumn air on smooth legs when you wear her uniform you figure that's not your place. Keith was the one who brought her up, Keith was the one who seemed more interested in getting her and you'd rather not deny Keith a front row seat for his revenge.

"Well, I guess it just seemed obvious but then you weren't there when we planned it so my bad for assuming," you say sheepishly. "Anyway, Keith can have her."

"You're sure about this," Fairfax asks.

"Dude," Keith exclaims in surprise.

"You're the one who came up with using her so it's like calling first dibs," you say to him in deference and he offers a fairly heartfelt thanks. You then turn your attention to Fairfax. "This whole thing is just kind of mind blowing so the idea of getting brought into it and then immediately getting shoved into a cheerleader," you tell him, "I mean don't get me wrong I wouldn't hate it but if I'm doing this I'd rather have a little bit of leeway so I can pick someone I think would be more comfortable and so I can adjust to the idea of even doing it."

"I would prefer if you stayed within the circle," Fairfax states seriously, "but I suppose that's a reasonable enough mindset to have. Looking over your list I'm not seeing too many issues though the closer to the cheerleader circle the better."

"But as long as they contribute to the study overall I'm not seeing the problem," you tell him. "The more data the better right?"

"That's not entirely incorrect but it would be much more convenient if we were all in the same group," he replies and you can sense a bit of frustration. But whatever frustration there is melts away as quickly as it appears. "You can do it, Will, but I'd ask that if at all possible you prioritize any connection to the cheerleaders. Also I want an answer by lunch so we can get started as soon as possible and if either of you can get Eva or Jessica out to make the switch then even better; they should be our first priority."

"Not that I have a problem with them but why's that," Keith asks.

"They're connected to lots of other groups so they're a good first stepping stone," Fairfax replies.

You agree to all of that and say you'll definitely give as much consideration as possible to your choice. Before you can separate to get to Walburg's class, however, Fairfax is quick to stop you and get your phone number. It'll make any communication that much easier he says.

* * * * *

Walburg gives a lecture that's long and droning and full of little asides, mainly a complaint about this or that related to millennials and blah blah blah. Though you sit at attention it's not him that you're focused on however. Here is where you see a fair number of girls who you have on your list.

In one row is Brooke Galloway whose auburn hair, thick and long and curly, is her most striking feature. Near her you see Lisa... sitting next to Mansfield. She's someone that you had considered but only briefly as there's a part of you that doesn't want her "spoiled" by any of this mask business that Keith's pals are engaged in. Near the front is Kelsey Blankenship who, as ruler of the roost of this set of students, would be of huge benefit to Fairfax.

But next to her, who your eye keeps coming back on, is Amanda Ferguson.

If Kelsey is haughty than Amanda is queenly. Where Kelsey is pretty, Amanda is vampish with hair dyed a deep red that falls in waves past her shoulders. Kelsey at least takes some effort to feign interest but Amanda, usually, could not look any more disinterested. If you could see her face you'd bet that her eyes, a light blue, would be staring at Walburg unblinking and her lips, usually painted the same shade of red as her hair, would be parted just enough to give a visual cue as to what she thinks of the class.

She's also probably the single most inapproachable girl in school. It's not even that she has a boyfriend -- though by how often she shuts down Ricky Golia's attempts to get frisky in class you wonder how much there is to that relationship -- but it's like there's a forcefield around her powered by her demeanor. A single disapproving look is enough to deflect the hopes of even the biggest playboys.

It's that quality, then, which really singles her out to you. If somebody like Amanda Ferguson showed disapproval with Seth Javits and sided with Cindy in any potential squabble that might arise between them, would that not be a huge blow to Javits's prestige?

So it's with that reasoning that you put a checkmark next to Amanda's name... though how you'd get her is another question entirely so next to that checkmark you add a question mark as well. She's a possibility, a very strong possibility, but still only a possibility at the moment.

* * * * *

Second period; Films as Literature. The class that, in a sense, started this whole ball rolling as some extra credit was your partial motivation for going to Mike and Carlos in the first place. It's a class that Mr. Hawks takes quite seriously but to his consternation not many of his students harbor the same passion. Most, yourself included, took it thinking it'd be an easy A; watch some movies, do a summary, not difficult right?

But because Hawks takes it seriously it's more involved. The movies on the list he assigned at the start of the year were mostly older. Some were long, some were weird and foreign, most held no interest to you. Not only did he want you to watch these boring old films but he was expecting in-depth essays about them as well. The girl-to-guy ratio, compared to Walburg's, is also low so it's not one you look forward to.

But to every rule there's an exception and the exception for this class bounds its way into the room just in front of the bell and with a final energetic burst falls into the seat next to you.

Mia DeWitt is a tiny little thing; there's no way she more than barely clears the five foot line and you wouldn't be surprised if she fell just under it either. She's not exactly big in other areas though if any part does stick out it's an ass that seems to have absorbed a chunk of her missing height.

Her face, like everything else about her, is pixieish with a heart-shaped face, small nose and large brown eyes that rest behind black box-framed glasses and under thick dark eyebrows. Hair, not quite bleached but dyed a pale yellow, that's simultaneously short and voluminous falls just past her chin in a sort of cultivated messiness.

Her style is always fairly muted in color, lots of dark greens and browns and other foresty colors, that's always a very bohemian mix of sweaters or thin coats, skirts, shorts with matching leggings and so on and usually accentuated by some form of old hat: today it's a trilby but some days it might be a bowler, a beret, a newsboy cap... you struggle to think of when you haven't seen her wear one.

But if her wardrobe is muted then her personality is not. Though she takes the class half-seriously she's quick with a joke and quick to make flirtatious overtures whether to Tim Gerard, Brad Murphy, even to you; to anyone really. There's a very whimsical and puckish manner about her as if she'd drag you along into some kind of grand mischief for her own amusement.

She's not in any social circles compared to Cindy but with her free spirited, free wheeling manner she could show up in her company tomorrow and not find it odd. And with as mischievous and flirtatious as she is she could certainly cause trouble for Javits. So next to her goes another checkmark.

* * * * *

The last group you seriously consider as you hit lunch are the athletes. Girls that are beautiful (at least the ones on your list) and in the peak of physical conditioning. The type of girl who might draw the attention of Javits or who, through fostering a relationship with Cindy could introduce her to other athletes; nicer athletes. Because of their positions as well they tend to command respect and influence and retain, in one manner or another, followings and popularity.

You have more than a few of them in the English class you just got out of and two of them are no-brainers. First on the list is Catherine Muskov, a girl who transferred from Eastman only early last year but very quickly rose up in prominence as she helped to bring the track team up from a squad of bottom feeders to one of the school's premiere teams.

Then there's Tara Weston who plays on the girl's soccer team as their goalie. There's something soft and demure in her face and her voice such that you can't imagine someone like that being physical but by all accounts she's very, very good at what she does.

Some swimmers, Bethany Lewis and Andrea Varnsworth, share the class as well but you rule them out as if there's anyone that comes close to matching Amanda in inapproachability it's Andrea. Bethany, as well... apparently Fairfax flirted with her at the mall on Sunday and that gives you a thrill but you always see her with Andrea so that puts her in the no go zone as well.

But you do share sixth period with another member of the team and one who's always been courteous to you: Jamie Bornholm. As a bonus, she was on Fairfax's diagram as sharing a connection with Cindy.

So as Fairfax texts you to meet you in the computer lab so yourself, himself and Keith can hash things you you realize you need to make a decision.

You have the following choices:

1. Amanda Ferguson

2. Mia DeWitt

3. An athlete

Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 rugal b. (UN: rugal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2236945-The-Non-Canonical-Book-of-Masks/cid/3077079-Keiths-Choice-Your-Indecision