*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901647-A-Modern-Day-Church
Rated: E · Short Story · Religious · #1901647
What kind of spirits does your church attract? Warning! Not for some church goers.
A Modern Day Church


Warning! Not for some church goers




    She appeared suddenly, wielding a flaming sword, catching one of Satan’s lieutenants off guard. With a scowl, and a shout, she quickly advanced on the Nephal (fallen one.)

    “How dare you encroach here among these humans who are gathering to worship! I will personally bind you and vanquish you into the abyss myself!”

    With fear, he holds his hands out in front of him, as he slowly backs away from the mighty Seraph (singular form of Seraphim, the mightiest and top ranking of all Angels.)

    “Stay your sword, O great Bath ha Elohim (daughter of God.) I am not here for any spiritual assaults. You know the rules, same as I do; you cannot touch me now. You can discern truth; you know that I speak truthfully.”

    She reluctantly sheaths her sword. “Why are you here then?”

    “I visit this church frequently. I feel at home here, and sometimes I am even inspired.”

    Keeping her scowl, she looks down at the smaller Nephal. “How is this possible?”

    “Great Seraph, you are too focused on me. Satan and his followers are given way too much credit for all of the corruption in this world. Most of humankind is in itself greedy, wicked and corrupt of its own desires. If I were indeed intent upon a battle of principalities, a much lesser Angel of my same rank would have been sent. Why then are you here?”

    "I have great contempt for the fallen Bene ha Elohim (sons of God.) We the Benoth ha Elohim (daughters of God) were never tempted by mankind and none of us ever left our first habitation. We remain loyal and true to our Father. He never had to include any of us in the Holy Scriptures, as having been enticed by his creation of humankind."

    “It's none of your business, but I was on a mission close by and sensed your foul presence. Now then, you, Nephal, answer my question.”

    “This gathering of humans knows not of whom they worship. They come here as if this was a spectators sport. They come to try to feel good about themselves. They come to justify their actions against other lesser, weaker humans in their midst. Mighty Seraph, lose your contempt for me, and open your mind. What do you sense?”

    With reluctance, she channels her attention away from the Nephal. With deep sorrow and in a soft voice she replies, “The Holy Spirit is not here.”

    “That’s right. Now then, let me tell you about this church. The preacher is one of the richest men in this county. He preaches prosperity through giving, constantly. He seldom reads from the Holy Scriptures, except when he twists them to prove his point. He mainly tells funny stories and anecdotes. I really admire him. He also sells his sermons, books and other items here at church.”

    “Now, as far as the building goes, just look around, it is a magnificent structure. It has state of the art, security, audio, visual and computer systems. It has a modern basketball gymnasium, baseball and soccer field. Every event or function that is offered here has an admission fee. This place makes money hand-over-fist. When I am in the vicinity I attend many of the functions.”

    The Nephal continues, “I especially enjoy the singing. They sing a kind of generic, contemporary music that really praises no one. Sometimes they have celebrity singers; that’s when I invite my fellow associates.”

    “The children, youth, and young adult classes are always involved in worldly activities. They are frequently going on field trips, playing sports and putting on plays. It really does me good to come here.”

    In a somber voice she orders, “Leave me, I will observe these children of Adam for myself.” With that said, she turns away from the Nephal. Staying in the spirit realm, she easily walks among the humans, unnoticed.

    As she observes the service, she becomes ever increasingly disgusted. She pleads with God to let her intervene and set these poor lost souls straight.

    God hears her pleas, and comforts her, but denies her request. He implores her to call forth certain Sacred Scriptures that pertain to the matter.

    As she walks, she recalls the Holy Writings that apply to this kind of a church.

    Romans 16:18  For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple.

    1 Timothy 4:1  Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons.

    A certain verse meant for the greedy priests of Israel most certainly fit the gentile priests this day and age, she thought to herself:

    Micah 3:11  Her heads judge for a bribe, Her priests teach for pay, And her prophets divine for money. Yet they lean on the LORD, and say, "Is not the LORD among us? No harm can come upon us."

    She also remembered.

    Matthew 7:21-23

    21-  “Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.”

    22-  “Many will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name.”

    23-  “And then I will declare to them, I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!”


    The Laodicean church of Revelation came to mind, as she continued her walk-about.

    Revelation 3:14-17

    14-  “And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write, these things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the beginning of the creation of God:”

    15-  “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish that you were cold or hot.”

    16-  “So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of my mouth.”

    17-  “Because you say, I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing -- and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked.”


    As she concludes her foray, she reckons that in a court of law not one soul here could ever be charged with being a Christian; there just wasn't enough evidence to convict anyone here.

    With itching ears, these poor humans come to hear what soothes their worldly lusts. With their souls in jeopardy of going to Hell, they happily continue onward. Without eyes to see, and ears to hear, they continue a journey of damnation for away from the true straight and narrow path of salvation.

    As she is leaving, she hears a quip from the Nephal, “Y’all comeback anytime, you hear.”

    In total disgust, she vanishes, leaving the unholy assembly, anxious for her next mission.



The End


                 

             
© Copyright 2012 Jim Payne (shaggypayne at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901647-A-Modern-Day-Church