*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2110018-Choosing-Your-Battles
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Political · #2110018
There are two separate battles going on in America today. Be mindful of the difference.
Choosing Your Battles
I want to suggest something to my friends on both the right and the left. There are two separate battles being fought in America right now:

One is political and ideological, having to do with how progressive or conservative we want our society and government to be.

The other is political and structural, having to do with whether we believe in democracy itself.

In this election, liberals/progressives lost the first battle, at least to the extent that they are now the minority and need to make their case from that side, as is the honored American tradition. But far more concerning (to me) is the attacks that started well before this election and continued throughout it on democracy itself. Suppressing voters, gerrymandering (on both sides), refusing to abide by structural rules (somewhat on both sides, though refusing to even consider Obama's SCOTUS pick makes it a bit lopsided), etc.

The problem is, if we focus too much on the first battle, no matter which side we are on, we will lose the second battle. There are plenty on the left who would happily give up on democracy if they could dictate a progressive, pluralistic society in their ideological image. There are plenty on the right who would, and have, given up on democracy if it will return us to an age they remember (more fondly than clearly).

But if both sides keep fighting both battles simultaneously, the second will be lost. We all need to stop insisting that the only victory is a total and absolute victory, unless we are willing to embrace totalitarianism and absolute power. If winning matters more to you than true democracy and the structure of a government organized to protect and support all views, then go about your business. But if democracy is more important, even when you have to give up on some cherished goals and ideals, you're going to have to reach out and collaborate with people who disagree about those cherished goals and ideals. You're going to have to fight for an end to gerrymandering and voter suppression in the states and districts that are far to your left or right, not just the ones you think will favor you. You need to respect elections and their consequences even when you lose, but also insist on government run by fair rules, even when you win.

It's your choice. Just be aware that you are choosing. I'm not suggesting you stop fighting for your principles. I'm suggesting that you focus on which battle you are fighting at which times, and be willing to make allies across the ideological divide when necessary to protect democracy.
© Copyright 2017 Ben Langhinrichs (blanghinrichs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2110018-Choosing-Your-Battles