*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1000764-The-Burning-Fear
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1000764
A group of mercenaries take a contract that gets the better of them.
         Ivan walks up to Dranyen, kneels beside him and studies the building before them. Dranyen is sifting dirt through his fingers in one hand and tracing a footprint in the ground with the other.

         "There can be no question," Dranyen says without turning to regard him, "The beast we’ve been tracking has certainly gone into that building. And unless there is some tunnel that exits beyond these walls, it is still in there." Ivan stands up and scans the countryside, noting the various rock outcroppings and other possible cavern entrances. After a few moments of quiet contemplation, Dranyen turns to Ivan, facing him directly. "Why would a beast of considerable strength and cunning seek refuge inside an old ruin? It could have easily outpaced us judging from the spread of its tracks and the description of its size. Only thing I can think of is it’s an ambush." Ivan nods, having the same thoughts swirling in his own head. It has been a month since his group of mercenaries got the contract to slay this beast and this is the closest they have been. Ivan had no intentions of backing down for fear of an ambush, especially when he knew who was backing him. He looks at the building in question and studies it. Not much of a building, he thinks, with the walls heavily eroded by wind and rain and age taking its toll on the mortar. He turns to the rest of his men, 10 of the most rugged fighters he had ever known, some trained by him, and looks each one in the eye.

         "It is possible that this creature is trying to lure us into a trap," he says so all could hear him. "I am not going to let that bother me, however, anyone who does not wish to enter this building can back out now and know that you will be paid for the time you did spend on this contract."

         "Ivan, I believe I know what this building is." Ambalack says, his face going pale. Ivan stares at him, compelling him to continue. "There is an old prophecy parents used to tell to their children to keep them in bed at night, I’m not sure if I can remember it all, but it goes something like this. For centuries before the present and for centuries not yet known there will be a building of great evil. Unremarkable in the outside but a dangerous maze on the inside, those who venture into shall forever be lost. When evil grows restless and hungry, a great creature will prowl. Wise folk will flee when the Burning Fear glows red, for the time of the beast is upon us. Only when armed with metal of earth’s pure do brave men venture within, only to find their demise, for only he who is not known can hope to vanquish the half-human soul of the Daikou." Most of the men did not believe in superstition or prophecies but they were shaken up nonetheless. Ivan considered the grave prophecy and began to think about canceling his contract, but then the image of Nalweena’s mutilated body and the half-eaten bodies of her children in their home flashed through his head and he shook away any thoughts of stopping he was harboring.

         "I will go inside, my offer stands and I will not hold it against you if you decide against avenging poor Nalweena or her children." That had struck a nerve, as Ivan had thought it would as all 10 set icy stares at the building door, more than ready to face whatever challenge it should throw their way.

         The building was bigger than it looked on the outside. About every twenty paces, there was a break in the corridor and it split up into two or three separate corridors. Ivan had Gombak mark an arrow with chalk in the direction they were going. The corridors are not that wide, only wide enough to allow two men to walk side-by-side comfortably, but Ivan has them walk single file. There are unlit torches in wall rungs set at regular intervals. He did not like the layout of the building, but he had been with these men for a long time and he was on even standards with all of them so he did not worry too much. Walking with swords held in front of them and behind Brotal, their best point man, they were quite confident the creature they were tracking would be located, and the bounty on its head collected. After about 3 hours and ten torches, they hear a roar of rage that reverberates around the walls and makes it sound as though it was all around them. This stops everybody in his tracks.

         "What do you think that was, Ivan?" asks Brotal.

         "Probably just some pieces of decayed wall collapsing", Ivan replies with as steady a voice as he could manage.

         "I don’t think so Ivan. This building was well built and it would take more than just decayed mortar to collapse it like that", argues Kyltin, the one who knew most about buildings. This set them even more on edge than the actual scream.

         "Well whatever it was, it’s nothing we can’t handle", boasts Brotal.

         "You know what’s really interesting?" Zelande, who has kept quiet until now, asks.

         "What’s that?" Asks Ivan.

         "Well in all the time that we were in here I didn’t see one rat."

         "What’s so weird about that?" Asked Brotal.

         "That’s not uncommon, I mean they may be hiding, but until that scream or whatever it was, it was quiet in here and I haven’t seen any feces either."

         "You know now that you mention it, I haven’t seen any sort of cobwebs in here either", replied Gombak. "It’s almost as if they’re avoiding this place or something." No one speaks for a while, considering this.

         "Maybe the prophecy is true." Piltyrm says to no one in particular. This keeps them quiet for a couple of hours, until Ivan asks how much chalk they had left.

         "About three full pieces. We had seven to begin with, Ivan." Suddenly there is a blood-curdling roar and a beast jumps out of a side corridor, slamming into Brotal, who flies into the wall 20 paces behind him, instantly breaking his back with a sickening crunch. Then the beast grabs Gyrma and bolts the other way with Gyrma fighting to get free. The others were so stunned they just stand there staring where the beast and Gyrma had stood. Ivan gets his wits together and once again takes charge.

         "Gombak and Manklain go check on Brotal", he barks. Running over to Brotal, Manklain bends over him and checks for a pulse.

         "Brotral’s gone Ivan", Manklain reports.

         "Take him and yourselves back along the chalk line and get out of here, the rest of us will pursue whatever has Gyrma." Not wanting to argue, they pick up Brotal and start going the way they came. Turning to the rest of his men Ivan shouts, "Follow Gyrma’s screams." They run through the winding corridors following Gyrma’s screams of agony. Stopping at each intersection to listen for his screams and then running after them. At one point, the shouts stop right when they reach an intersection and they have no clue where to go next. Then Gyrma shouts one final time and Piltyrm runs in that direction shouting at the top of his lungs.

         "I’m gonna get you, you bastard."

         "No Piltyrm stop", shouts Zelande, but too late as a clawed hand swings out and decapitates Piltyrm, his head landing between the feet of a stunned Zelande. In the same movement that hand grabs Piltyrm’s body before it falls to the ground and it was gone.

         "What in the hell is that thing?" Zelande demands.

         "Whatever it was, it just tore right through us", replies Dranyen.

         "Ambalack, is this your dammed prophecy beast?" Azamash suddenly growls.

         "It’s just a legend, made by parents to keep their children in line", replies Ambalack.

         "Well legend or no legend, I’m convinced it’s true, now how do we kill it?" Piltyrm said.

         "Just a minute, I thought I heard something," Dranyen said quickly. They all knew he had the best hearing so they quieted down and listened. Then they heard it.

         "General, General", it was Manklain.

         "Manklain?" Dourbaz said just as confused as the others. Manklain finally got within eyesight and they noticed he had blood and dog hair all over him, as did his sword.

         "Manklain, Where is Brotal and Gombak?" Asks Ivan.

         "Well first the chalk line only goes back about three hundred paces, so we were just standing wondering which way to go when it came right out of the shadows and attacked us, killing Gombak," Manklain said in an unsteady voice.

         "And what were you doing?” demands Azamash.

         "What do you think I was doing, Azamash?" Holding up his sword, "I was able to score a hit on its shoulder but it happened so fast I’m surprised I even did that much."

         "Did you get a good look at him?" Asks Dourbaz.

         "All I seen was its glowing red eyes", Manklain replied with a shiver of dread. At this Azamash turns to Ambalack and asks,

         "What does your prophecy say about killing this thing, Ambalack?’

         "It states ‘Only when armed with metal of earth’s pure do brave men venture within.’"

         "Well earth’s pure metal is most likely silver,’ says Dranyen, holding up his sword, "is a good thing I believe in were-beasts, or I wouldn’t have had a sword made of pure silver."

         "I’m starting to get the idea that it was a mistake to come here." Zelande replies.

         "Well we can’t go back", Dourbaz said.

         "Why not?" Ambalack asked.

         "Two reasons, one we have no clue where the demon or beast or whatever you want to call it is. Remember how we were chasing it and it showed up behind us and attacked Manklain? Number two, we have to avenge our fallen comrades," replied Dourbaz.

         "I think we should stay here awhile and get our senses", suggested Zelande.

         "I agree, but not here, let’s look for a room with only two passages in it or some other easily defensible area.” Ivan says. They wander aimlessly, considering every area they come to as a possible camp, until; finally, they come to a small room with only one corridor leading into it. “Ok, this place will work, Dranyen and Kyltin. I want you two to set up a guard at the corridor. Light up every torch on that wall. I want to be able to see that thing coming at us well before it’s here. Zelande, check for hidden doorways or passages. I do not want that thing sneaking through. The rest of you I want a complete supply check.” Ivan looks at his men as the set to work. The stench of fear emenates off of each one, although they don’t outwardly show it, Ivan can sense it, fear so strong it seems to linger in the air like a heavy smoke on a chilly morning. Ivan walks over to Ambalack, who he noticed had grown quiet and reserved, which was unlike him. Ivan takes off his own pack and begins to rummage through it, memorizing what all he has. “Is something wrong Ambalack?” He asks after he puts everything back in his pack. Ambalack looks at Ivan and sighs.

         "I’m beginning to wish I had stayed outside, I fear this building is going to be my burial chamber.”

         “There are more than just you who have those fears, myself among them. The best thing you can do is fight with all your heart and never lose confidence in yourself. Hell, when I was your age, I was in my first battle and I fainted on the field, most of my comrades had though I died. You’re doing much better than I did.” Ivan pats him on the shoulder, leaving him to digest his words. He begins to walk over to Zelande when he spots Dranyen motioning to Kyltin excitedly. As he gets closer, he hears Dranyen tell Kyltin.

         “I could have sworn I heard someone yelling for help. There it is again. Did you hear it?” Kyltin shakes his head and squints hard into the black corridor beyond the torches.

         “What’s going on, Dranyen?” Ivan asks when he gets up next to the two.

         “There’s someone out there, Ivan. I know I heard someone.” Then Kyltin’s head perks up and he looks at Dranyen and Ivan.

         “I heard someone too, sounds like they are crying for help.” Ivan nods, having heard it too. He stands up and turns to face the others.

         “Ok, listen up! There is someone out there calling for help, pick up your gear, we leave for the person in 5 minutes.” Heading toward the cries for help they go even further into the building, until they come upon a man huddled in a corner shivering with fear.

         "W-who a-are you?" inquires the man.

         "Help", offers Ambalack.

         "We heard your cries", replies Piltyrm.

         "Who’s in charge?" demands the man.

         "I am", Ivan says.

         "What happened to you?" Kyltin asks when he realizes that the man had a deep gouge in his left shoulder.

         "Something with glowing red eyes brought me in here and just dropped me", he replies.

         "Would you like to go with us to find it?" inquires Zelande.

         "Well I would like company but I’m afraid I would do no good in a fight", the man admits.

         "That’s fine, I wasn’t going to let you kill it, I was going to that myself", Azamash replies. As they go back to the room, Ivan finds that Manklain has casually gotten beside him.

         "What’s wrong Manklain?" Ivan asks him.

         "Something’s not right here General", he replies.

         "How’s that?" Ivan asked, knowing to trust Manklain when he has a hunch. Looking around he states,

         "I don’t think that guy is who he says he is", he says under a hushed voice.

         "Why is that?" Ivan asks him in an equally quiet tone.

         "For one I could have sworn his eyes glinted orange when he seen me. Another is he has blood under his nails and I know that I hit the demon exactly where his wound is, the left shoulder."

         "Half-human soul of the Daikou...." Ivan mutters under his breath.

         "That’s what I’m thinking too."

         "Why don’t you spread the word to keep an eye on this guy?" Ivan tells him.

         "All right General, I’ll do that", Manklain responds. When they get back to the room everybody except Dourbaz and Azamash knew to keep an eye on the man. They asked if he wanted his wound cleaned and stitched but he refused, stating it was not that bad of a wound. After he did not do anything drastic, they began to relax. Manklain offered to take first watch and Zelande volunteered to also. The man memorized the positions of each of them and then feigned sleep, lying on his back with his hands behind his head. When most of them were dozing off to sleep the man made his move. First, he flips on his feet and springs at Manklain, transforming to the beast in midair. Expecting this was Ambalack who jumps out to intercept the beast. It lands in front of him and grabs his head, twisting it so his neck snaps and throwing his body at Dranyen and Azamash. It then leaps at Manklain, landing on him, crushing his ribs and puncturing both lungs. It bites Manklain’s throat and tears it out. Then it whips around, grabs Zelande’s head and shoulder, separating them, and takes off into a corridor with Zelande’s headless body.

         "Krsna, what happened?" Dourbaz asks as he looks at the bodies strewn all over the place.

         "Who’s still alive? Roll call", demands Ivan.

         "Kyltin, still alive and kicking."

         "Dranyen, nothing but my pride hurt."

         "Azamash, where did it go?" Kicking off Ambalack’s body.

         "Dourbaz."

         "Damn, Zelande, Ambalack and Manklain didn’t make it?"

         "No", Dourbaz replies.

         "Only two and a half bodies though", Kyltin responds sickly.

         "Two and a half?" Asks Azamash.

         "There are two legs and an arm over here that don’t belong to anybody", Kyltin replies seriously.

         "He’s right, there’s a blood trail over here," Dranyen calls excitedly.

         "We’ve got the bastard this time. Do you hear me? You’re not gonna get away this time", Azamash shouts at nothing in particular. Laughter rings out all around them.

         "What makes you think you’ll do any better Azamash?" Calls a deep voice. Nobody speaks. "Your silence is noted," it calls again. Then something flies at Azamash from the doorway that the blood trail goes into, and hits him on the shoulder. It takes him a moment to realize it is Ambalack's head. This infuriates Azamash even more and Dranyen has to restrain him from going into the dark void alone to face the demon.

         "Azamash, get your head on straight and wait for the rest of us to go with you, and grab a torch", Dranyen half shouts at him while shaking him furiously.

         "Then hurry it up and lets go", Azamash shouts back.

         "Gentlemen, calm down", Dourbaz says.

         "OK let’s go", Ivan says. They go into the corridor following the blood smear in a small cluster with the torch in the middle of them. Then laughter calls to them from behind.

         "That’s from the room we just left", exclaims Dourbaz.

         "That’s impossible, it couldn’t have gone all the way around us that fast", retorts Azamash.

         "Just the same I’m going back to check", says Ivan, "Kyltin come with me, give me a torch Azamash. I want you, Dourbaz and Dranyen to go ahead, follow this blood trail, if you find the demon call out, and try to take it down. You understand?’ Ivan asks.

         "Yeah, Ivan, be careful", replies Azamash grabbing a torch from the nearest rung, lighting it and handing it to him.

         "You too", Ivan says back and starts off with Kyltin in the direction of the room they just left. Turning to the other two Azamash says,

         "Well I guess we better get going." Getting murmurs of agreement, they set off on the blood trail. When Ivan and Kyltin reach the room, they enter to an empty silence.

         "Where did the bodies go?" Demands Kyltin

         "Better yet, what’s going on here?" Replies Ivan, then off in the distance.

         "Ivan, Kyltin, get over here quickly, you have to see this!" Shouts Azamash.

         "Let’s go", Ivan says to Kyltin.

         "Yeah, I’ve seen enough", agrees Kyltin. They make their way back along the blood trail and come to a room that was the most gut-wrenching thing Ivan had ever seen. Dozens of bodies were lying all over the place, blank, lifeless eyes staring into nothingness, chewed to unrecognizable hulks are some bodies and others are in several stages of decomposition. Ivan could hear Kyltin next to him vomiting and he felt his own dried bacon dinner coming up as well, but he managed to keep it down. Then he sees that Azamash, Dranyen and Dourbaz have a dark gray figure with two glowing red dots surrounded and were advancing on. Kyltin shouts out to his God and rushes to join them. The figure’s arm reaches out and grabs Kyltin before he could get out of the way. It sinks its long claws into his soft jelly like eyes, penetrating his brain, and throwing the limp body at Dranyen. Not being able to dodge or catch the dead weight Dranyen flies backward with Kyltin's dead body covering him, successfully pinning him to the ground. Then Azamash and Dourbaz lunge at the same time, Azamash actually scores a hit, as his sword tip sunk into gray fur and the soft flesh underneath. With a cry of agony the demon grabs both of them and slams them into each other, head first, collapsing their skulls and merging their brain tissue. By this time, Ivan was able to get Kyltin’s body off Dranyen. They advance on the demon, in the last dozen or so paces they rush him. It grabs Dranyen by the ribcage, holds him up to its mouth with his back facing it and sinks its teeth into Dranyen’s shoulder. As Dranyen starts screaming Ivan sneaks up behind the demon and brings his sword down with all his might, but at the last moment the demon steps forward and Ivan's sword hits the stone floor, shattering upon impact. His hands still stinging, Ivan jumps on the demon’s back and tries to work his dagger out of his boot. Being fed up with Ivan the demon throws Dranyen into the wall, whose eyes roll back and he slumps forward. The demon reaches behind itself and grabs Ivan by the shoulder. Bringing Ivan to face him, the demon smiles and says,

         "I’m going to enjoy watching you writhe in pain as I squeeze the life out of you."

         "Go ahead and try it", Ivan replies defiantly, the pain of the demons claws in his shoulder increasing as they slowly dig deeper and deeper. Then they stop and come out of his shoulder.

         "I’ve got a better idea", the demon says to itself. Grabbing Ivan’s head, it takes one claw and slowly plunges it through his ear, aiming for his brain. Then the demon stops and looks up, it’s gaze peering into every dark corner around it. “I thought I smelled a Jaegar in here.” It says, driving its claw the rest of the way into Ivan’s ear, severing his brain stem. Throwing Ivan’s dead body to the floor, it prepares for the attack it knows is coming. “Show yourself, it’s been a long time since I've had Jaegar flesh.”

         “The Order of Washazerbon has decreed it is time for your crimes against the earth and nature to be paid for, Daikou.” The demon hears in its head. Then a large black feline beast slinks out of the shadows in front of it, nearly as big as the demon, with its ears pulled back against its head and its tail twitching back and forth. It hisses at the demon and springs toward it, going for its throat. The demon grabs the cat by the wrists and attempts to throw it over its head, but the weight of the great cat drives them both to the floor. The cat rakes the belly of the demon with its hind claws and snaps its teeth just inches from its muzzle. The demon plants a hind foot on the cats belly and vaults it over him. Quickly flipping itself over and getting to its feet, it launches itself at the cat, driving it into a wall. The Daikou bites the cat on the shoulder and tries to get more flesh when the cat grabs the demons muzzle with its human like hands and pushes its head back. Onward the cat pushes its head, threatening to snap its neck. Finally, the Daikou tears its muzzle free and the cat twists away from its next bite. Grabbing the Daikou’s shoulder the cat spins on one foot and throws it, clipping its head in the doorway, breaking off some stone. The Daikou digs its claws into the floor to break its momentum but slams into the wall in the hallway. It shakes its head to clear its vision and looks up in time to see the cat pounce for it. The demon grabs the cat by the torso, driving it into the ceiling and slamming it into the floor, then it grabs the cat by the tail, spins it around and throws it into the ceiling again, sending it through to the next level. The demon follows up after the cat, only to find darkness surrounding it. Not knowing where the cat went it stands near the hole, casually turning in slow circles.

         “You can not defeat me Jaegar; I have the wisdom of centuries and the strength and cunning of the wolf.” A mocking laughter sounds in his head.

         “It’s funny; Deanerbon told me the same thing just before I tore off her head.” The demons eyes glow a brighter red.

         “You’re the one who killed Deanerbon? I will feast on your heart and drink blood from your skull in her honor! Show yourself and let us be done with this!” The demon catches a glimpse of the cat’s green eyes glinting in the torches under him. Unable to contain the beast instinct in him he roars and leaps for the eyes, only to find a solid wall, the Daikou stumbles back, fighting to regain both his balance and control of his wolven counterpart. Then it feels the cat pounce upon its back, slamming it to the ground and sliding down through the hole. The cat grabs the demon by the neck and flings it against the far wall, then runs after, leaping into a wall and bounding off it, and lands on the demon’s chest, pushing the air from its lungs in a violent exhale. The cat glares into the eyes of the demon, holding its head so close the demon could feel its hot breath parting the hairs on its head.

         “You Daikou are so easy to dispense of, it’s a wonder most of you last for more than a century.” The Daikou, still fighting to regain its breath, quickly brings up both hands and grasps the cat by the neck, surprising it. The Daikou squeezes until the cat moves backward off it, and then it stands up and brings the cat with it, holding it off its feet. The cat continues to glare at it, fighting for air. The Daikou keeps the pressure against its neck and its feet off the floor. Then in a fluid movement, the cat reaches out, rips off one of the demons ears, grabs a torch with its other hand, and slams it into the Daikou’s chest. The cat vaults itself off the demons belly, tearing itself out of the demon’s grip as the fire engulfs it. The demon howls in agony, rolling along the floor, trying to put itself out. After several agonizing moments the fire extinguishes and the cat slinks up to the demon and stands before it. Through the pain, the demon hears in its head. “Cernunnos has grown tired of you destroying the natural world, it is time for you to die!” The cat walks around behind the demon, still writhing in pain, and wraps its mouth around the back of its neck. In a loud crunch, the cat drives its teeth behind the demons spine and twists its head, snapping it and killing the demon. Then the cat walks around to the front and stands on its hind legs, in which it begins to shed its fur. It shrinks into the form of a human who walks back to where Ivan had died; he looks around until he spies what he is looking for. He walks over to the wall and picks up Dranyen’s sword…his sword. Dranyen walks back to the beast and lops its head off. Dranyen sheaths it and heads for the room they had made their camp and grabs his pack. Going back to the demon, he reaches in his pack and withdraws a canister. Opening it, he pours the contents onto the demon; he grabs a torch and drops it on the demon, which alights immediately, turning into a fearsome blaze. Dranyen then pulls out a small bowl and another canister; pouring some of the contents into the bowl, he places the canister back in his pack. He begins to utter some words and weave his fingers about, and then he stares intently at the bowl of liquid. The liquid becomes still and a face appears.

         “Ah, Dranyen, it is good to see you. I trust the Daikou has been defeated?” the face asks.

         “Yes, decapitated and burning with the Oil of Purification.”

         “Did you need to shapeshift?”

         “Yes, but everyone else was dead when I did, so no one knows I’m a Jaegar.”

         “Good, were there any other problems?”

         “Yeah, my ring may need to be re-enchanted, I’m pretty sure the Daikou broke my back.” The face in the bowl sighs.

         “It is a good thing Cernunnos smiles upon you, Dranyen.”

         “Yeah, spare me, I got the job done. Is there anything else you require before I leave this accursed place?”

         “As you know, Drakon was killed recently, if there were any in your group you deem acceptable to replace him, see that it is done. In addition, the others who died risk becoming a Daikou themselves; to ensure this does not happen you are to take the proper precautions. After that is done come back home, there are those who wish to see you here.”

         “I’ll see it is done, until next we meet my friend.” Dranyen waves his hand over the bowl and the face disappears.
© Copyright 2005 Great White Wyrm (greatwhitewyrm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1000764-The-Burning-Fear