*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1007154-The-Mystery-of-the-Carousel-Horse
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1007154
written for the 5th Birthday Bash
The Mystery of the Carousel Horse

Another Three Palms Detective Agency Tale

Chapter 1

It was BabyCat’s fifth birthday, and she had invited everycat in the neighborhood to help her celebrate. Guests sat at long tables that were set up under the apple trees by Golden Lake and laughed and joked as they partook of the fabulous feast. A cold fish soup was followed by molds of salmon mousse in fantastic shapes. Plates of piled codfish cakes sat alongside platters of crisp fried chicken. There were tuna casseroles and fluffy mouse pates. And of course, there were huge piles of chocnip cookies, and the famous sugared mouse-tails. Later there would be a delicious catnip crème cake and tea. But for now the guests were content to stuff themselves on the never-ending supply of food in front of them.

Finally they had eaten and laughed all they could and many of them were beginning to think a nap would be in order, when someone called for BabyCat to open her presents. There were many, many presents sitting on a large table, wrapped in colorful paper and tied with big bows. Soon all the cats were clapping and chanting, “BabyCat! BabyCat!”

BabyCat laughed and waddled over to the table where she sat down and begin to open the gifts. Her friend Shazon helped her keep track of them so that she could send thankyous out later. She had recently started collecting carousel horses, and she was delighted to find that many of the gifts reflected her newest interest. Charlie had given her a lovely planter shaped like a carousel horse. And from Shibui she had received a beautiful tea caddy with a carousel horse painted on the top. Finally she reached the last gift, a tiny box, which looked quite lonely sitting on the table by itself. BabyCat opened it to reveal an exquisite carved crystal carousel horse from her friend Buddee. She held it in her paw for all to admire.

Suddenly BabyCat noticed that there was another present. A rather large and oddly shaped package sat under the tree. No cat knew who had brought it, or where it had come from. But the tag on it clearly said, ‘For BabyCat, For Your Birthday’. Filled with curiosity, BabyCat tore off the wrapping to reveal a small but beautiful carousel horse. It was a strange gift. It was obviously old, and the paint on it was flaking. But the eyes had been repainted, and one was filled with a large red glass eye, giving it a sinister appearance. It made BabyCat shiver to see it. But the feeling quickly passed, and the guests moved on to other pursuits.

They played pin the tail on the Carousel Horse, and then settled down to eat cake and ice cream, and drink gallons of catnip tea. Then BabyCat handed out little gifts to all the guests, and they began to leave.. Just as the sun set BabyCat handed the last guest a small gift and ushered her out of the house. The celebration was over.

BabyCat turned and looked at her friends Shazon, Romulus and Fella, who were all members of the Three Palms Detective Agency.

“What did you think of that carousel horse?”

“That red –eye gave me the willies.”

“Who do you think sent it?”

They all began talking at once. BabyCat just smiled and said, “I think this is another case for the Agency to solve, but not tonight. I am much too tired.”

The others agreed. And after a quick goodbye, and a promise to see BabyCat early the next morning, BabyCat’s friends also went home.

That night BabyCat lay in her bed, surrounded by all of her presents. The red-eye of the carousel horse stared at her. Finally she could stand it no longer, and she got up and threw her robe over its head. Then she got back into bed and fell into a dreamless sleep.

Chapter 2

That night BabyCat lay in her bed, surrounded by all of her presents. The red-eye of the carousel horse stared at her. Finally she could stand it no longer, and she got up and threw her robe over its head. Then she got back into bed and fell into a dreamless sleep.

NOTE: Story will be continued throughout Birthday Week. CHeck back for more chapters. Hugs, Cyn
© Copyright 2005 Cynaemon (noelanicat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1007154-The-Mystery-of-the-Carousel-Horse