*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1007666-Prologue-to-My-Novel
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1007666
Fantasy/sci-fi novel about betrayal, loyalty & corrupt government in Earth's future.
Note: The final event of the prologue takes place twenty years before the actual story. Also, I don't wish to reveal to much about the actual story as of yet. I'd like the reviews to come not from the idea of the story, but just the prologue itself. I will release a brief synopsis of the entire novel at a later time. Thanks for reading again!! It's greatly appreciated, as is your advice and criticism.



          The worlds were not the same as they once were. The days of prosperity were now legends and myth, rarely spoken of in public and even rarer were written records of that time. Darkness shadowed the universe, where light had once shined, and the Democratic Commonwealth of Earth was no longer great as it once had been. The Commonwealth had at one time been an immense power that supported tranquility and upheld justice. It was formed in year 3023 after the two great Nuclear Wars of 2563 and 2755, which brought chaos and destruction upon all of the nations on Earth. The Commonwealth’s sole purpose was to merge all of Earth’s separate countries into one unified nation. Humanity would finally live in a diplomatic utopia where nuclear activity was prohibited and with laws that truly regulated righteousness and integrity. Large scale war would cease to exist. The President of Earth’s power was modest compared to the voice of the nation as a whole. The arrangement was all but flawless.

         In 3044, a selected group of peace-keeping guardians known as the Shepherds was formed by the Commonwealth. These protectors were sworn to uphold what the government stood for and to protect as well as make sure justice was upheld in every corner of the globe. The Shepherds were trained intensely in all aspects of combat and knowledge. Every art of fighting, history, ancient languages and codes, political affairs, covertness and vehicular management were all studied to vast degrees and formed a teaching that would over time become known as Arionic studies. These Shepherds had excessive power to prevent anyone from attempting to oppose what democracy stood for.

         Thus, Earth had emerged from the Post-Nuclear Age and into the Fuel-Space Age. All would not be well though as the planet was quickly increasing in population and diminishing Earth’s most precious resource. By 3210 probes were sent to nearby solar systems in search for means of fuel during this time of crisis. This process took months, but soon natural resources were found to be abundant on other planets in nearby solar systems. The planets were soon inhibited and fuel was soon being shipped back to Earth in mass quantities as colonies were being formed on these newly discovered planets.

         The decline of the Commonwealth very well may have come from one of these planets. Human life was unpredictably found on the planet Hestia, a planet similar in size and climate to Earth’s. There were millions of these humans, who became known as the Hestian race. They spoke an unfamiliar language and lived in small tribes scattered throughout the capricious planet. The Hestians were an unorganized, ungoverned civilization of nomadic tendencies that lived on a planet of unknown forces and numerous secrets. It was not known where these humans came from, but many theories were promptly formed. One widely recognized theory speculated that humans from Earth came from the planet Hestia millions of years in the past. The second theory speculated that a few humans from Earth may have clandestinely migrated there and populated the planet around the beginning of the twentieth century. The true origin of the Hestians remained a mystery nonetheless.

         With this newly discovered race of humans came a new sort of prejudice. Hestia was given much aid and even more time and funds were spent educating and organizing the barbaric tribes of Hestians. This angered many citizens of Earth who alleged they should have been quickly and efficiently dealt with by extermination or forced into labor mining fuel and resources for Earth’s purpose. The discrimination dealt to those Hestians who tried to make Earth their home was all but unbearable and soon large communities where only Hestians could be found were formed on Earth.

         Several years passed and the colonies on the other planets inevitably formed their own governments and yearned to become their own independent nations. Fearing a war of enormous proportions could follow if their wishes were not dealt with, the Commonwealth democratically and willingly assisted in unbinding these planets from Earth. This became known as the Separation Age. There were now five prevailing nations, Earth being the most prominent with its moon and the nearby Mars being a part of the Commonwealth. A sixth planet, unrecognized by the governments and unofficially known as Mayhardi, waged a war of anarchy among itself, becoming a haven for ruthless criminals, scavengers, illegal dealings and deadly factions.

         Trade between the planets and Earth flourished more than ever during President Edwin Dark’s reign. Tranquility finally seemed within reach, but all great reigns come to an end. In 4151, extremists, who were against the separation of so many years past, simultaneously detonated six nuclear bombs in large cities across the Commonwealth. In a matter of minutes, a nuclear holocaust was upon the nation, as the population fell from nearly twenty-three billion people to fourteen billion.

         President Dark promptly requested aid from the other nations across the universe as he deployed the Shepherds into a full-scale urgent investigation into the extremist events. During this time, Edwin could not be carefully protected due to his guardians being spread out among the universe.

         Edwin’s trusted and loved brother Laimen, who was the appointed Commanding Officer of the Military, led a quick and quiet rebellion. Laimen murdered Edwin with his own sword and proclaimed himself the President of Earth. Controlling much of the powerful military forces, it was effortless to convince the people and the other nations that he was entitled to the office of President. It looked detectably suspicious, but the citizens of Earth turned to him in this time of catastrophe so he could restore order.

         Two young Shepherds, best friends since childhood named Callis Wayward and Saul Logan, learned of this conspiracy. Laimen seized the two companions and began to tempt them with persuasions of vast authority in his administration. Callis resisted, but Saul accepted. Callis, while being ushered to his own execution, managed to escape and inform the Shepherd’s leader, Lucius Ravenwood, of this conspiracy. The guardians swiftly bound to action, but by then it was far too late. Laimen had total control over the Commonwealth’s entire military and crushed the Shepherds and all who opposed him with ease. Many of the Shepherds turned to Laimen’s side and all but a handful of those who didn’t survived. The remaining Shepherds, Callis Wayward and Lucius Ravenwood among them, reluctantly disappeared into hiding. Laimen Dark proclaimed himself the sole Imperator of the Democratic Commonwealth of Earth and his motives of conquest and his lust for blood would soon be revealed to the people.

         This was simply referred to as the Takeover.

© Copyright 2005 yeahthatsme12 (yeahthatsme12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1007666-Prologue-to-My-Novel