*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1008309-Antarius
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Sci-fi · #1008309
The beginning of a work of sci-fi that I started on...
The shuttle descended slowly towards the large blue orb below. Antarius was known throughout the universe as the paradise resort, the only known planet with a vast ocean over its entire surface. Several thousand cruise ships traveled along the surface, catering to the huge numbers of tourists visiting the planet. Artificial islands floated upon the seas with fake beaches, hotels, and attractions to reel in the more gullible populace. Ships coming in could land on a pad on one of the islands or dock directly with the large cruise ships, depending upon the destination of choice for its passengers.

As the shuttle slowed down entering the atmosphere, it steered gently towards one of the larger islands. Aquanerium, the capital city of the planet, contributed to more than half of the entire planets economic production, mostly because of its prosperous tourism industry. Many tourists visited the city every year to see the many wonders it housed, like the Submerged Viewing Platforms, large clear glass structures beneath the waters of Antarius, where visitors could safely view some of the sea life of the planet.

The platforms did not go deep enough to see the bottom of the great oceans, not anymore. Not long after completion of the construction on the first platform that reached farther than 2,000 feet under the waves, a great beast living far below the waves destroyed them. The tragic incident claimed the lives of 44 people, who were just visitors on the planet, in the wrong place at the wrong time. After that, no one dared try to build platforms that deep again.

Aquanerium still housed many other sites to see, like the Water Gardens, where people could go to relax and take in some excellent marvels made with technologies that manipulated water. Numerous water-themed amusement parks dotted the city, and most other cities across the planet had smaller versions of them. Artificial beaches made attractive spots for people looking to relax on the sands, and numerous watercraft marinas rented out recreational water vehicles for a few hours of enjoyment. Many other people found their peace in the cities many exotic casinos.

Like all great cities of any significant size, there was, of course, a dark side to the capital of Antarius. The alleys of the city were a haven for those not wishing to be seen, a place where dark deals were made, and where some people were lured, seduced into darkness, and lost their innocence. These were the places where a man (or even a woman) could find a prostitute to hire for services. Most of the illegal narcotic drugs in the universe were produced and exported from these alleys.

The shuttlecraft came in close to the city and touched down on the pad near the Aquanerium Hilton. After final shutdown procedures were in place, the passengers were allowed to disembark. Ground crews were already bustling to unload the luggage compartment in the belly of the shuttle. All of the luggage was tagged carefully and would be sent directly to the room that its respective passenger checked in to.

Zilus stepped out of the shuttle onto the ramp to the pad, looking up for the first time at the sky of Antarius.
© Copyright 2005 Calypsia (argent6978 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1008309-Antarius