*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1008497-The-Unexpected-Present---2nd-draft
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1008497
A young girl who receives an unexpected gift on her birthday
         I stared at her in horror. I had planned my day from start to finish and she'd just gone and ruined it all. After getting off the telephone, my mother informed me that I was going to the dentist today to get a filling. Today was my 10th birthday; what kind of a present was this?

         "What?" I said, as I looked at my mother in disbelief, "The dentist, on my birthday?" she couldn't be serious, I thought.

         "I'm sorry dear; I forgot that you needed a filling. I tried to get the appointment re-scheduled for another day, but his calendar was booked for the next two months honey." she said with a sad smile.

         "But how am I going to eat any cake or ice cream, or anything?" I began to cry as I realized my day was doomed.

         "It's only a filling and you should be fine for the party in the afternoon." she said.

         I got ready and also began to get angry. By the time we got in the car, I was so mad I didn't even want to look at her. We arrived at the office and I plopped down in a chair in the waiting room. The dentist's office always makes my stomach feel nasty because of the funny smell. It’s a cross between disinfectant and mouthwash. Soon enough, the nurse came out.

         "Anna Dawson?" she asked, almost as though she enjoyed knowing that I was about to suffer. Sure she can smile, I thought. She’s not about to have her special day messed up! I just wanted to knock one of her pretty teeth out. I glared once last time at my mother, as we got up and walked into the hallway. The nurse opened a nearby door and showed us into a small room with one of those dreaded chairs that looks like they use it to do brain surgery.

         I got up in the chair and waited for my dentist to arrive, seething all the while. Eventually, he strolled into the office and opened my chart to look at it.

         "You have a filling scheduled for today?" he asked, looking at me, "Well this is only a small one so we'll be done in no time..."

         The funny thing is, he was right. I left the office in just under an hour. As a treat for being so good, my dentist even gave me a sugar free lollipop. I had to wait a couple of hours before I could have it but it tasted great. Everyone that I invited to my birthday party actually came and I got loads of presents including a new Brats doll, coloring books and best of all, two new games for my Gameboy from my mom and grandma.

         I thought that the day was going to turn out terrible. I got really mad at my mom when actually it really wasn't a big deal. Now I know that getting upset and mad made me feel even worse. Sometimes my day won’t go exactly the way I plan, but it’s up to me how I choose to deal with it. In the end the cake and ice cream tasted great and I made it a point to give my mom a big hug for understanding me!
© Copyright 2005 Author2B (turnerjk1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1008497-The-Unexpected-Present---2nd-draft