*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1008931-insomnia
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1008931
evil is unleashed upon our world!
"Insomnia"
by Miguel Carreno

Even now as you listen to me, nothing can save us. Not your padded walls, tightly sealed door, or number of guards. You think that I am insane, is that not why I am in this institute? In this straight jacket? I will do you no harm but something else will something bigger then me, you, then anything. If you have seen what I have you would be here in the same position as me.

"What do you speak of and what have you done Charles."

I will tell you my story in the short time that we have left here before our demise.

It began three weeks ago when a package arrived at my front door step, I opened it to reveal an ancient, tattered and torn book. It looked as if though it hadn't been touched in years, there was no title on the cover and there was no return address on the package or any card or letter. I went to my study where I have thousands of books on the occult my passion in life is the study of this strange subject. I set the old book on my desk and began to look through the pages, the ink was surprisingly vivid for the shape the outside of the book was in. I began to read and indeed the subject of this book was on the occult but it seemed strange I had never come across anything quite like this. There were spells, incantations, instructions, and descriptions of things I never heard of.
For two weeks I read this book front to back a thousand times. Over and over again until I could memorize all of its writings. I was obsessed with it, this ancient book that seduced my mind replacing sleep, food, and the outside world. No other book had done this to me, the writings in this text were amazing. Yet frightening for some of the things written in it, spells and incantations that hide titles such as zombies, death, raising the dead, the gate, transformations, opening portals and vortexes. Everything I read about in other books, but this book had instructions on how to achieve these myths.

"Those are myths Charles none of those things are real, black magic and witchcraft isn't real you are hallucinating from your insomnia."

"Do not tell me what is real or not I know what I have seen and what is real or not!"

"If you do not calm yourself we will shackle and sedate you."

"Very well, I will calm myself but do not patronize me foolish doctor."
Now where was I, ah yes the passages in the book, the one that caught my attention the most was the one labeled "The Gate." Every time I opened the book to that passage would appear first, eerie but the enchantment the book had on me did not let me think of it. Every night I read this same passage and thought what would happen if I tried this? Could this be real or a mere hoax by a foolish person?

I pondered many sleepless nights on what action to take, whether or not to try and open this gate the way the book told me to.

"Stare into the reflection, while darkness engulfs you, and solitude your only follower."
Simple cryptic instructions to stare into a mirror in total darkness while you are alone. I was hesitant at first but an unseen force kept pushing me to try it, to open the gate, to follow the book. Then suddenly in my thinking something came over, something I cannot explain, as if though someone took hold of my body. Without warning I shut the lights off and made my way to the nearest mirror, I tried to break free from this trance but nothing could stop whatever grip was held over me. I frantically tried to run away to escape this wretched hold to stop this madness, but any attempt failed and I was forced to look into the mirror, for three nights.
I lost control of my very own will and could do nothing to stop it, three nights I was forced to open the gate and wait to see what would happen. The first two nights nothing but purple mist, but then the third it was unleashed upon our world.

"What was unleashed Charles."

"pure evil."

"You were hallucinating from insomnia, we have told you this already"

"No, the gate it opened to another dimension, and a dark shadow with red eyes escaped before it was close it's the truth im telling you."

"Charles you were brought to this place because your neighbors heard strange noises and feared for your safety, when the authorities arrived they found you hopped up on energy pills you been awake for two months your reality is being altered."

"No, No, everything is true, look for the book, find the book and you will see im right."

"We found an old book Charles."

"See look inside you'll see im not insane."

"The pages are blank Charles nothing was ever written in it."

"No!!!!!"

"Take him away, I want twenty four hour watch on him and keep him shackled to his bed."

"Im not insane, im not insane, im not insane........"

"poor man."

Thus ends the story of poor Charles who found the book of the dead, and then lost it . The book that infests the mind killing it and taking control was Charles really insane or was he right all along!

"Charles....."

"Who's there?"

"Charles....."

"Who's there?!"

"It is I Charles, the evil that you have released upon this world!"

"Ha, im not insane after all, its all true, its all true.......do you hear me doctor its all, ahhhhhhhhhh........"
© Copyright 2005 ExiledMC (exiledmc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1008931-insomnia