*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1010063-A-letter-from-Gulfport-MS
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Inspirational · #1010063
A letter about Katrina's aftermath
Dear Shelley,

First and foremost, I want you to know Donald and I are alive and safe. I didn’t get a chance to call you, but I did call mom and hopefully she got the word to you. My God, Sis, just sitting here and looking out at the beach, at the city, leaves me feeling numb. I have never felt like this in my entire life.

Donald drove down from Jackson as soon as the reports on TV said the hurricane was coming toward us. I can still feel the chill of the approaching wind when he got to the hotel. Thankfully, I’d gotten the guests out. There was a shelter set up on the other side of town by the Red Cross. Donald took me there and we waited out the storm. It was a school building that had been built recently, designed to withstand the winds of even a category five hurricane. It was packed, Sis. Glass shattered in some spots and the roof began to leak in the gym, but when the hurricane was gone we were still here – alive!

I could not even begin to describe the feelings – relief. Comfort. Pure joy at just being alive. The school let out such a roar, Shelley, the likes you never heard. Donald thought it was as loud as a late summer thunderstorm. I think we were a little afraid to leave the shelter of the school, but Donald and I went back to the hotel to assess the damage.

The beach was hit the worst. Our hotel is destroyed. There is wood scattered everywhere. Wood, clothes, cars lay awkwardly on their sides. A tree crashed through two of the bungalows. Sand is everywhere. Our bungalow is smashed in on the side facing the beach. Donald and I were able to recover some old pictures, but their so waterlogged their captured memories weren’t retained. I lost all my wedding pictures! Seriously, Sis, we have nothing. Our house – our livelihood is gone. Our clothes, our pictures, everything we owned is unsalvageable. Nothing was spared – except us.

You know, Sis, I sit here next to the tree that tore through our two bungalows, writing this letter, and I do not want you to think I’m bitter or mad. I’m not. I’m so damn grateful to still have Donald. Oh, a part of me realizes we have a pretty daunting task in front of us – to rebuild, but it can be done. It will be done. Donald and I are still together and our love, our faith will see us through.

Last night, someone in the shelter was quietly reading the Bible to their children. It reminded me of when we went to Sunday school, when we studied. Remember how my favorite book was Proverbs? It’s funny what comes to you during times like this. Donald and I read the Book of Proverbs last night.

Anxiety in a man’s heart depresses it, but a kindly word makes it glad.

Entrust your works to the Lord, and your plans will succeed.

In his mind a man plans his course, but the Lord directs his steps.



Donald and I promised ourselves we wouldn’t get angry. There was no point and it wouldn’t be good to waste our energy like that. We have each other, and material possessions can be replaced. As we look toward tomorrow, we remember some of our favorite proverbs, drawing strength from their reminder of the Lord’s Grace. I’ll write more tomorrow.

God Bless You, Shelley,
Love,
Your Sister
© Copyright 2005 StephBee - House Targaryen (sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1010063-A-letter-from-Gulfport-MS