*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1010887-MY-BEST-LANGUAGE-LESSON
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Comedy · #1010887
An example of making a slip in another language
One sunny day while stationed in Germany, my friend Larry and I decided to get our girl friends, some food, beer and wine, and travel about the country side. We were all feeling our oats and having a good time. As we entered a small village,we noticed we were running out of wine. I volunteered to run into a little store and fetch a bottle of Liebfraumilch (German for loving mothers milk). Four young girls met me at the counter and, in unison, asked me how they could help. Being high and with slurred speech, I replied, "I want a bottle of Jungfraumilch-please." Immediately, one of the girls ran to the back room blurting, "father, father." The others just stood there looking shocked. When their father came out he took me aside and wanted to know exactly what I said. When I mentioned wine, he seemed to know right away what went wrong. With a smile on his face, he whispered- "You want Liebfraumilch- Jungfraumilch means "young mother's milk."
© Copyright 2005 Doc Craig (AKA C.J. Schnase) (cschnase at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1010887-MY-BEST-LANGUAGE-LESSON