*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1010959-MY-BOSS-AND-HIS-CAT
Rated: E · Editorial · Military · #1010959
How long do we support Iraqi freedom? Submitted to newspaper
February 7, 2005

THE FAIRBURY JOURNAL NEWS P.O. BOX 415 515 FIFTH ST., FAIRBURY, NE 68532

Dear Editor:

MY BOSS AND HIS CAT

When I read FAA'S insightful commentary in the February 4 issue of the Fairbury Journal News about voting in Iraq and our questionable continued presence in that country- I felt stirred to comment.
Many years ago I worked as a staff psychologist for the Hastings Regional Center. Along with my other dutiesl, I became assigned to the Adolescent Unit, under the supervision of an astute and very wise clinical director, Dr. George Lyyton, M.D. After a very hectic go-around with a rebellious young man- who left a treatment team meeting in an unsuspected burst of anger- our wise mentor turned to us and said, "You know that young man reminds me of our family cat...that cat knows he is not allowed to get up on the dining room table, and he won't do it as long as we are in the room. Walk out of the room, and there he is again, up on the table." Short memory? Fortunately, human beings have much greater memory capabilities and attention spans. It seems reasonable to me that we should support the Iraqi freedom quest long enough to enable them to manage their own internal affairs. My question is: how long is that and when do we cease to be rescuers and become victims?

Craig J. Schnase, M.S.
Retired Psychotherapist

P.S I hope you publish this. Feel free to edit it anyway you feel. Thanks for the good article FAA.

© Copyright 2005 Doc Craig (AKA C.J. Schnase) (cschnase at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1010959-MY-BOSS-AND-HIS-CAT