*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1013428-Fieldgate-Academy-Pt-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Supernatural · #1013428
Part three of my serial
Principal Fern sat across from me and she looked pissed. Her manicured nails tapped against the desk top. My folder which she had read from the day I arrived was opened again. “Ms Grimassi Brujah,” she sighed. “I’m not sure you understand the gravity of this situation. Fieldgate Academy is a last stop for many of the students here. Meaning, this is a haven from the world they are trying to escape. This includes Rei. What you have done is compromise the feeling of safety we try and create. Do you understand?”
“Yes, ma’am.”
“I’ve already talked to Mr Black who claims the biting was purely consensual. In fact, he says that he asked you to do it. Who in your opinion initiated the transfer?”
“Rei, bit me the first time we met-”
“He bit you?” She asked skeptically. “He’s not... wasn’t a vampire.”
I blushed. “I know that. He was playing around. The second time, I bit him without asking but he didn’t protest either. The third time, he asked and that’s when he was changed.”
“What where you doing when this happened? Where were you?”
Surprisingly, I didn’t have the usual morning after regrets. At least, not about the sex. I met her eyes, smirking defiantly. Something about Fern rubbed me the wrong way. “First, I took a hit of pot and then a little pill then we fooled around before he fuc-”
“That’s enough.” She snapped at me. “Do you really think so little of yourself that you’d sleep with the first boy you met?”
I shrugged, “The moment I met him I just felt this pull. I don’t know what it is about him.”
“Well thanks to that pull, Rei is now in the hospital.”
“May I see him? I just want to check he’s okay.”
She nodded, “If you want, go now. But then its straight to your dorms until I say so. Is that clear?”
“Yes, ma’am.”
I got out of there before she could change her mind. The hospital wing was on the west wing’s main floor. The halls were empty as I slipped towards there. I assumed everyone was in class. Soon the rumours would spread and I’d be happy to find myself alone.
Slipping into the sterile waiting area, I asked the school nurse if Rei was there. She nodded and motioned me past the partition. The main room was large and full of single beds. I could see him laying on the farthest one from the door. He wasn’t alone. J.C. sat ashen faced at his side, her eyes rimmed in red. They were speaking softly and he was holding her hand. JC and Rei were a couple? That explained the death glares on her part. God, she must have thought I was the hugest slut.
Before either one could see me, I slipped back into the waiting room. At the front, I stopped the nurse again. “Could you give this to Rei for me?” At her puzzled stare, I added, “It’s just a little joke between the two of us.”
If Principal Fern had been angry, Rhiannon was livid. “I thought you might be dead!” She yelled as I came in. “I thought maybe a were had gotten you. And what were you doing? You were screwing some dirty guy under the bleachers.” She exhaled loudly, folding her arms across her chest. “You’re fucked, Bella.”
“Thanks but I think I got that from Fern’s lecture.” Sinking down onto my bed, I kicked off my shoes before laying on my back. “I’m grounded.”
“God, you’re lucky. Do you know some vampire covens will kill for making a new vamp without their permission?”
I restrained a sob and buried myself face down into my pillows. “They’re dating, Rhi.”
“What?”
“I can’t believe it! I thought she liked him but he didn’t even seem interested.” Tears rolled down my cheeks. “I didn’t know about them.”
Rhi pulled me to face her. “Only you, Bella, would be worried about that.”
“What am I going to do?”
“My advice to you? Lay low. Soon it’ll all blow over.”

By the end of the week, the rest of the school knew that the ‘new girl’ had slept with and turned ‘JC’s boyfriend’ into a vampire. Rhi fed me the newest gossip since I was confined to my room. Principal Fern had also denied me any lessons except for some readings on vampires. My only reprieve was I was allowed a trip to the café for my nightly coffee and plasma shot. And I think that was for my roommate’s benefit.
“Ready to go?” I asked her, grabbing my purse. It was Tuesday, a week since that night. “I was thinking about getting fries. What do you think?”
“Sorry, hun.” She looked up sympathetically. “I have an exam in my creature feature. Do you think you can face the masses alone?”
“Don’t worry about it.” I told her. “If I don’t get staked, I’ll be back in twenty.”
People whispered and stared as I walked by. The word slut appeared frequently in their little diatribes. I didn’t say anything. What good would it do? Sliding into my usual booth, I waved at Tom the pirate. He nodded once at me and began to make my usual. I pulled out my vamp manual and a highlighter.
“May I sit here?”
Rei appeared at the edge of my table, his hair slicked back and his eyes were clear and uncovered. I pulled my feet off the seat. “No one else is there.”
Sitting down, he knocked into the table and winced. “I’m not high for once. It makes it harder to function.”
“You want some coffee?”
“Yeah, I need something.”
“I heard about you and JC. I’m really sorry. I let things go too far.”
“No, its my fault. You weren’t the one who had someone to answer to.” He sighed, gazing at me with tired eyes. “I had to see you again.”
“Why?” “I don’t know. I can’t explain it.”
“I’ve been thinking about you too.” I whispered, embarrassed. “Worrying about how you’ve been doing. Have you been feeding?”
“No.” He raised his eyes to mine and I felt anger course through me.
“Dammit, Rei, do you know how irresponsible that is? If you go into blood lust, you could kill someone!”
“If I do, they’ll just stake me. Its not like anyone would miss me.”
I blinked back tears. I had been trying to convince myself that I didn’t want him or need him over the last few days. It hadn’t been working. Maybe, for once, telling the truth would work. “I haven’t stopped thinking about you since that night. My emotions have gone from ‘I’m such a dumb ass’ to ‘I wish he’d just want around the corner.’ So yeah, someone would miss you. Me.”
Rei’s mouth opened but no words came out. He seemed to be searching for the right thing to say. The pirate hobbled over, setting two mugs down, ignoring the emotional scene.
“I ordered the vampire special for us. Have some, you’ll feel less drained.”
“I should warn you I’m a bigger jerk than usual when I’m not high.”
“Don’t worry, I can hold my own.”
Taking a sip, he smiled into the coffee cup. “This is really good.”
“It’s my own creation. Three parts Columbian vanilla with a quarter plasma. As a vamp, you need the substitute because you’re body doesn’t make as much.”
“Aren’t you just the vamp encyclopaedia?”
I held up the book. “Creature studies 101.”
Rei was grinning at me and seemed more energized. I laughed at the smirk on his face. The blood had kicked in. He reached out and took my hand in his. “So what happens now?”
“I don’t know.”
“I was hoping you could tell me, Bella.”
“Thanks a lot.” Feeling a little spiteful, I added, “Daddy.”
“Are you? I mean, have you taken a test?”
“I’m joking, Rei.” Though the idea had put the though in my head. What if I was? We didn’t use a condom. I was on the pill but it wasn’t 100% accurate.
Seeing me sombre, he tried to make me laugh. “You’re mean and a damn good liar. I’ve dated worse-”
“I guess I deserve that, Daddy.”
“You were joking right?”
“Yeah. Don’t worry about it.”
“Drama queen.” I teased him. “And what kind of a player doesn’t carry a condom?”
“The kind, like me, whose had so many he doesn’t give a damn.”
“I’m sure all the girls were jumping in bed with you. Eww.”
“What? Its not like I have cooties or a STD.”
“Its not you I’m worried about. It’s all those slutty girls under the bleachers.”
He grinned, “Not all of them were slutty.”
Looking down at my watch, I began to get up. “Well it was nice seeing you again, Rei. Especially with your clothes on.”
“What’s wrong with me being naked?”
“You’re much more distracting.”
I stood at the side of the table, waiting to give him a good bye hug. Instead he pulled me into his booth, wrapping an arm around my waist. “What do you say we try doing this the right way?”
“Like a date?”
“Exactly.”
“No bleachers involved?”
He looked at me strangely for a minute then shook his head.
“I mean if you rather be the type of couple that stays under the bleachers, I understand. I mean, what else would you expect? That’s where we first met...”
“No.” He cut off my rambling. “Saturday night. You me, on a real hand holding, dinner ‘n a date, good night kiss date.”
“You have no idea how great that sounds.”
“I think I may have an idea.”
Leaning in, he gave me a kiss. I felt myself get lost in him. But Rhi was in the back of my mind and I knew I had to get back. I pulled away and got up again. “I have to go or my roommate will think I’m out biting some other guy under the bleachers. I’ve had several offers since the rumours started.”
“The line up will have to wait.” Rei took my hand and flipped it over, looking longingly at my wrist. “If you’re biting anyone, it’ll be me.”
“Aww they’ll be so disappointed.”
“Too bad.”
“Rei, I have to go.”
He sighed and nodded, “I know.”
“See you Saturday?”
“I’ll pick you up at your room.”
I pulled myself from his grasp. “Night.”
Walking away, I could feel his gaze following me. My face warmed and I couldn’t help but grin to myself. I had a real date with Rei. Shaking my head, I wondered what I was getting myself into. As long as I was with him, I didn’t really care.

The process of a born vampire coming into their powers is rather simple. First the child should be around the mortal years of puberty. Generally around 12 to 13 years old. Their parent or guardian, preferably of the same gender, will perform the blood rite with them. The ritual consists of two steps that do not necessarily have to happen in the same night. These steps are:
- The child must drink the untainted blood of a mortal. This should not end in a death bite.
-The Maker will spill his or her own blood into the family chalice and give it unto the child to drink
The change should take place within a night.
Remember that the Maker should not share anymore than one cup of blood or complications can occur.
[See: psy vampire; blood lust, singular; final death]
I sat on my bed, rereading the page in front of me and realizing its implications. Principal Fern had made me without my consent. I’d bit David then she completed the ritual by feeding me her blood. I felt violated. If what I read in previous chapters were true, my emotions were linked to my need to feed. That night, I’d been terrified that’s why I attacked him. If I could have learned to control my emotions, I would never had blood lust again. Now I had no choice whether I fed or not. I’d changed Rei because of that lack of control. I threw my book aside. Principal Fern was going to hear about this. Before I could stop myself, I could feel myself begin to change. My fangs came out longer, my senses stronger and the anger in my chest was overpowering.
Normally the time it takes to get from the dorms to the main building was five or so minutes at a brisk walk. I don’t think it even took me three without breaking a sweat. The Headmistress’s door was open, she was sitting alone at her desk. “Expecting someone?” I asked from the threshold.
“No, not really.” Principal Fern’s eyes rose from her work, cooly appraising me.
“Good.” I slammed the door behind me, knocking several plaques and pictures off the wall. “So why’d you do it?”
“Pardon?”
Walking forward, I swatted the leather love seat out of the way like it was a fly. I could see her move back, giving herself room to move. “Why did you change me, Maker dearest?”
“Arabella-” Her eyes scanned for an exit. “I just did what was necessary. You’d never have lived up to your potential.”
“As a monster? I could have kept my vampire state dormant!”
Either I was faster and stronger, or she just wasn’t trying, because as she made a break for it, I caught her arm and spun her into the bookshelf. Volumes and texts fell around us but I refused to let go. “Did you think I was stupid? There’s a whole chapter in my text on changing. Or did you know I would find it?”
Principal Fern was trembling now. It was shocking to see someone I thought to be so powerful, so strong, crumble so easily. “Please, Arabella, don’t bite me!” She whimpered. “I beg you.”
“What will happen if I do?”
“The stronger of us will dominate, our minds will be linked. My blood will be the only thing that can sate you and visa versa. Eventually, you or I will waste away.”
Her fear was a good indicator of who would be the dominate in our partnership. Was she scared to be ruled by a young, born vamp? Or just surprised at my power?
“Stay away from me.” I warned her. “If I find out you’ve tried to pull a Maker trick on my, I will drain you. Do you understand?”
She nodded and I released her. She fell to the floor, gasping and pulling the occasional book along with her. Giving her a look of scorn and pitty, I stormed out of the office.
I didn’t tell Rhi about the incident. I knew it would scared her. Hell, it scared me. Instead we concentrated on dressing me for my date with Rei. Not that she was thrilled with my involvement with him. “You know,” she said picking through our closet, “I know some nice guys.”
“No.”
“Malcolm O’ Connors is a major hottie. Fifth generation leprechaun, rich, has a cute accent...”
“Rhiannon,” I protested. “No!”
She sighed moodily. “Fine. What look are we going for? Slutty? Sweet? Bite me, I’m yours?”
“The second one.”
“So no red g-string?”
I blushed. After that night, I hadn’t been able to find it. I even went back to the field and looked to no avail. “I think I’ll stick with normal underwear tonight.”
She nodded, “Good.”
“Why don’t you like him?”
“What do you like about him?”
“He’s hot-”
“Bad answer.”
“I wasn’t done yet. He’s sweet, funny, charming, understands blood lust.”
“Only because you bit him.”
“Ouch.” I looked over at her. “What’s your problem?”
“Do you really think this is a good idea? I mean, he just broke up with JC. People are still talking.”
“Like I care about people. Do you want me to stay home? I will if you want me to, Rhi.”
“Why?”
“Because you’re my best friend.”
She made a noise of disgust and pulled out my black dress from the closet. “Wear this with those books you have. You’ll look hot.”
“Thanks.”
“That’s what friends are for.”
He showed up twenty minutes later, just as I was finishing my makeup. “Can you get that?”
“No.”
“Rhiii...” I whined. “Please?”
Grumbling just under her breath, I heard her shuffle across the room and open the door. Their conversation was stifled, possibly by her one word answers. I came out a second later, my stomach threatening to upchuck. “Hey.”
Rei lit up. “Bella. Wow. You look fantastic.”
“So do you.”
Our stares of mutual admiration were interrupted by the black cloud of gloom that hung over Rhi. I cleared my throat but she ignored me and continued to mope. “I’ll see you later, kay?”
She nodded.
We left in silence with him leading the way. I was a little worried about her. She was usually happy, or at least, talkative. “Is there something I’m missing?”
“What?”
“Between you and my roommate?”
He shrugged. “We had a misunderstanding.”
“About?”
“I offered to take care of something for her. It was just a joke. She didn’t find it funny.”
“And what was your offer?”
“I told her if she gave me one night, she wouldn’t be so uptight.” He admitted sheepishly. “She was a little pissed afterwards.”
“I wonder why.”
He chuckled, “You know the offer’s worth it.”
“Maybe.”
“Maybe, eh?”
For the first time, I realized we weren’t heading towards the café but towards the driveway into the school. “This isn’t the way to the caf.”
Rei made a face. “Please, give me some credit, Bella. I’m not taking you there for our first date.”
“So where are we going?”
He pointed to a motor bike, propped against the wall. I stared wide eyed. We were leaving Fieldgate? “I got us a night pass out. Usually they’re rewarded to student who are very good. I guess I’m lucky I applied for these before Fern busted us.”
“Before...you applied for these for JC?”
He nodded.
“Oh.”
“Bella?” Rei reached out and touched my shoulder. “I would rather be here with you.”
“You’re just saying that.”
“No, I’m not.”
“Promise?”
“Cross my heart?”
I gave him a kiss on the cheek. “Good save.”
“It’s the truth.” He insisted, flustered.
“I rather be here with you instead of JC too.” I teased then threw one leg over the bike, climbing on.
“Uh uh.” Rei shook his head. “I’m driving.”
He took off the black leather jacket he was wearing and passed it to me to put on. The material was warm and smelt like him. Rei slid me back on the seat then sat in front of me. Reaching back, he pulled my arms around his waist. Then we took off.
The night was dark and warm. I began to play with a button on his shirt then traced a line up and down his chest. He took my hand into his, stopping me. “Don’t make me pull over!” He called back to me. “And don’t think I won’t!”
Having the advantage of mobility, I leaned into him, my lips right behind his ear. “What are you going to do if we do?”
I could feel his jaw tense against my cheek. Knowing I should probably stop, that he was vamping out, I moved back and adjusted my arms to around his hips. Continual baiting could be risky. His posture began to relax.
Lights twinkled as we approached the village. It looked beautiful from where we were. A gentle spiced wind twisted around us. “Perfect.” I whispered, more to myself than him. “Absolutely perfect.”
Rei nodded. Pulling in through the winding roads, he parked in front of an elegant converted Victorian. He turned off the bike, kicking the stand down. He got off before me and held out a hand. Graciously I accepted and let him help me slip off. “That okay?”
“Besides my hair being ruined, it was great.”
Reaching out, he touched a curl. “I think you look beautiful.”
I blushed and turned towards the restaurant. “This is a great looking place. Have you been here before?”
“Nah, I’ve never had a reason to come. Until tonight that is.”
“You’re really charming when you put your mind to it.”
“I don’t even have to try with you.”
I took off his jacket and handed it back to him, shrugging off his flattery. “This looks better on you.”
“Then I must be really hot because you look amazing.”
“Rei, stop!” I protested, laughing. “You don’t have to compliment me all the time.”
“Its too easy-”
“Rei!”
He slid the jacket over the white dress shirt with black pin stripes. It fit him perfectly. His dark hair wasn’t slicked back or gelled up. It just lay naturally over his forehead. It was all I could do not to reach out and play with it.
“Bella, you’re staring.”
“Sorry.” I looked down at the ground.
“Don’t be.”
Rei’s hand covered mine and he lead me up the walkway. Inside the light was dim, lit only by chandeliers and candles. A maitre de stood behind the podium, looking like a snooty penguin. “Name?”
“Rei.”
“Table for two?” He looked down at the book. “Right this way, sir and mademoiselle.”
I stayed close to Rei as we were escorted to our table. The restaurant was intimate and lush. The type of place I’d gone to back in Manhattan. The other patrons starred at us and I could feel him tensing again.
“Relax.”
“They’re all looking at us.” The hand that wasn’t holding mine, zipped up his jacket.
“That’s because they’re jealous that I’m here with a guy like you.”
“It’s probably the other way around. They’re probably wondering how a Fieldgate delinquent can get a girl like that. I don’t know the answer to that either.”
“Rei, if you haven’t noticed, I’m there too.”
“But you don’t belong.”
The maitre de pulled out a chair for me and I sat down. Rei was across from me. Menus were placed in front of us. I didn’t bother to look at mine. “I already know what I want.”
“Really? What?”
“Steak.”
He grinned. “A woman after my own heart.”
I lay my hand out on the table, palm up. Not disappointing me, Rei covered it with his own. Looking at our intertwined fingers, I stifled a happy sigh. “You know, what you said is ridiculous. I belong at Fieldgate as much as you do.”
“I doubt that.”
“Ever kill someone?”
He didn’t even react. “No.”
“I almost did.”
“I know.”
“Did Fern tell you?”
“Nah.” He shook his head. “I figured out the other night.”
“After I...”
“If you wouldn’t have ran away, I would have told you then.”
“I didn’t run!”
“You did too, Bella. You tore out of there like a bat out of Hell. Not that I blame you. There was just so much I wanted to tell you.”
“Like?”
“When you bit me, right before I died it was like I went inside your head. I saw what happened to you that night. What that bastard tried to do to you. You didn’t try and kill him it was an instinct. You were protecting yourself.”
“Any other burning insights you’d like to share?”
“Yeah.” He nodded, smirking at my rising defences. “You don’t have to pretend with me.”
“What?”
“You act tough, like nothing can touch you but it’s an act. Right now, your hands are shaking and you’re breathing faster. You want to run but you won’t. It would cause a scene and Arabella Grimassi- Brujah won’t do that.”
My mouth opened but there was nothing I could say. “How-”
“Do I know?” He shrugged, “No fucking idea. Maybe its because you turned me and I touched a part of your mind. Or maybe it’s because I really like you and caught a lucky guess.”
The waiter came before I could reply. It was very convenient. “Bonjour madame et monsieur. My name is Henri and I will be your server for the night.”
Rei nodded. “We’ll take a bottle of your most expensive wine.”
“Sir,” the man cleared his throat, “you realize that our most expensive bottle is two hundred dollars.”
“Rei, that’s too much.” I objected. “Just go with the house wine.”
“We’ll take the most expensive.”
I began to play with my necklace, worrying about the money. And where Rei got it. Then I heard the intake of breath, the waiter’s, but no release. Looking up, he appeared to be hypnotized. My date had a similar expression on his face.
“I’ll take the steak.”
This seemed to break the spell. Henri blushed, looking straight ahead. “And how would you like it done?”
“Blue. Just let the meat kiss the grill.”
Rei nodded, “I’ll have the same.”
Nodding the waiter hustled towards the kitchen, seeming rather ashamed of himself. Meeting my eyes again, my date smiled. “What were you doing with the necklace?”
“Nothing.”
“Bella, that wasn’t nothing. You sure you aren’t a witch?”
“Have you used this line already?”
“I don’t know.” I admitted. “I mean, I don’t know who my parents are.”
“Weren’t you writing a letter to them?”
“I’m adopted.”
“I’m sorry.”
“Don’t be.”
“Tell me about your family.”
Rei paused. “Do you remember your real parents?”
“Not really. I was told they were young and deliriously in love. I was the only thing that could possibly make their lives better. Right before I turned two, they died. Kate and Dad found me while they were living in Venice.”
“Kate?”
“My adopted mom. She says being addressed as Mum makes her feel old. She’s kind of a hippy.”
“Is your dad groovy too?”
“No, he’s an investment banker.”
“Seriously?”
“I know it’s weird.”
Rei laughed. “No, its unique. Its what makes you, you.”
“What about you?”
Rei’s expression changed, his smile fading. “My home life wasn’t like yours was.” He mumbled and concentrated on the motion of his thumb moving over mine. “My parents were young when they had me but they were junkies. They fought all the time, screaming, hitting each other, whatever. Not that it was unusual in my neighbourhood. Everyone’s family was like that. After they croaked, I lived on the street. I did what I had to do to survive, you know?”
“Oh, Rei, come here.” Leaning across the table, I kissed him and stroked his hair back. “Everything’s better now, right? I’ll take care of you.”
“Do you really want to be responsible for a screw up like me?”
“Shut up, Rei.”
He smiled, “That’s my girl.”
I sat back down as Henri set down our salads and wine. Taking a fork full of lettuce, I watched as Rei picked at his. I reached across and forked a slice of carrot. Rolling his eyes, he shoved the entire plate my way.
“Eat it. It’s good for you.”
“Rather not.” Rei poured wine into our glasses. “Why eat something good for me when I can survive on food that’s not.”
“You’ll get a belly.”
“And you’ll still love me.”
I choked on a leaf of lettuce at the appearance of the ‘l’ word. Sipping my drink to hide the shock, I nodded. “Yeah, I will but I’ll put you on a diet.”
“A fate worse than death.” He lifted one piece of radicchio, scrutinizing it. “Can vampires even get fat?”
“I don’t think you will. Me, on the other hand, I can. Something about a born va... my metabolism being more like theirs.” I motioned to the rest of the people.
Rei laughed. “I guess I’ll just have to keep you active.”
“Oh, really?”
“Yeah, you know, cooking and cleaning.”
“Rei.” I laughed too, pretty sure he was kidding. “While you do what?”
“Manly stuff like watching tv, drinking beer-”
“Scratching your ass?”
“Exactly.”
I shook my head. “I’ll look, you clean.”
“Deal.”
The conversation had taken a rather long term and domestic tone. I was pretty sure it was the first one I’d ever had. It was weird how things work out. We’d known each other less then a month and already I was crazy for him. Did he feel the same? Should I ask?
Henri appeared again, this time setting a drink down in front of Rei. “This is from the woman at the end of the bar.”
My mouth opened in shock at her audacity. Trying to think of something clever and scathing to say, I looked over at Rei who appeared amused. My heart dropped.
Picking up the glass, he swirled the amber liquid around a few times then handed it back to our waiter. “Tell her I don’t drink shit.” He looked over at her, adding, “I don’t date it either.”
“Of course, sir.”
I was speechless.
“Bella?”
“Mmm hmm?”
“Can I tell you something incredibly stupid?”
“Mmm hmm.”
“You’ve ruined me for anyone else.”
“What?”
“Don’t make me say it again.”
“I won’t...”
“But?”
“What do you mean?”
He sighed. “I was hoping you’d get it. Since I met you, I just knew- Why are you laughing? This isn’t funny.”
“I know.” I could barely contain my glee. Laughter just naturally bubbled from me. “It’s not funny at all.”
He shook his head. “You’re still laughing.”
“Rei, I feel the same way.”
“Seriously?”
“No, I’m lying.”
“Bella!” Frustration forced his voice to rise. Clearing his throat and looking sufficiently bashful, he took a deep breath. “Bella, please.”
“I’m in like with you.”
“And by that you mean?”
“I mean, you’ve ruined me for anyone else.”
This time, we ignored Henri as he took away our salad plates and replaced them with the steaks. Rei and I really liked, maybe even loved, each other. Things would work out. The silence that followed wasn’t cold or awkward but comforting.
“This looks really good.” I cut into the meat, watching the blood ooze out. I took a bite and almost audibly groaned. I hadn’t had my coffee today. I didn’t realize how low I was. “Almost too good.”
“Blood, sex, rock and roll, weed, speed, birth control. Life’s a bitch, then you die so fuck the world lets all get high.”
“Lovely.”
“That used to be all the mattered to me. Well, minus the blood.”
“And now?”
“I’d have to add you to the list.”
“I don’t think Arabella rhymes with anything.”
He shrugged, “I’d make it work somehow.”
I watched him eat his steak, admiring his face, hair, canines. “Do you have anything planned for after this?”
“Maybe we could take a walk?”
“Walking? Ugh.” I made a face. “How common.”
“I could carry you.”
“I was joking, Rei.”
“You’re used to this, aren’t you?”
“Offers to be carried? Of course. The masses practically fall at my feet-”
“I meant restaurants like this, expensive meals and clothes, presents.”
I shrugged, “It’s not like the concept is foreign to me. My family has money but I don’t care about that.”
Rei looked at me. That same emotionless look came over his face like when I had asked him about killing. “I have money, Bella. Its not an issue for me. I could buy you anything you want.”
“I don’t need to you buy me anything!” I insisted. “I have money to buy myself things.”
“And if I want to?”
“Please, Rei,” I took his hands in mine, “you don’t have to buy my love.”
“Love, eh?” He smirked.
“Don’t be a dork.”
“Did I touch a nerve?”
“Bite me.”
“Gladly.”
“You wish.”
Rei grinned, showing off his fangs. “You bet I do.”
“You done with your steak?”
“Is that a hint?”
“Take it as you will.”
“Let me go get Henri.” Rei got up, going over to the bar. I watched him pull out his wallet. Much to Henri’s surprise, he paid in cash and left a sizable tip. He wasn’t lying about having money.
“Ready?”
I stood and straightened my skirt. Rei offered his arm to me and I took it. On the way out, he didn’t seem to notice the people looking at us or the snooty maitre de. All of his attention was on me. The night air wrapped around us as we walked down the emptying streets, talking about nothing. He began to pull me in the direction of the woods at the edge of the village. I looked into his face, trying to read him. “Rei?”
“Yes, Bella?”
“Where are we going?”
“It’s a surprise.”
“I don’t like surprises.”
“You’ll like this one.”
“How do you know?”
“Because I know you. And you know that I’d never do anything to make you uncomfortable.”
“You make it impossible to argue.”
“That’s the point.”
He continued to pull me towards the trees, reaching the tree line, he stopped me. “Come here.” I smiled and leaned against him, my arms encircling his neck. Rei smiled back. “Jump on the count of three.”
“What?”
“Just do it.” He told me with a grin.
“One-”
“Rei, I don’t want to.”
“Two-”
“This is stupid.”
“Three!”
I jumped and he caught me, his one arm encircling my waist and the other under my butt. I glared down at him, not exactly comfortable. The pose was intimate to say the least as my legs encircled his waist. “Is there a point to this?”
“I offered to carry you earlier.” He told me with a grin. One finger trailed over my exposed calf and thigh. “Wouldn’t want to ruin those boots either.”
“Fine then. Carry me, slave boy.”
“As her majesty desires.”
Rei began to walk over the path. I lay my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes. I felt like a little girl, safe and warm. Only he wasn’t Pierce. Nuzzling his face against his neck, a gave him a small kiss. The sounds of the night filled my ears: crickets chirping, animals moving, wind in the leaves. “Don’t fall asleep on me now.” He chuckled, rubbing my back. “Or I’ll have to throw you in the lake.”
“You wouldn’t dare.”
“You’re right but I am going to set you down now. We’re here.”
I opened my eyes to see where ‘here’ was. The lake was like a giant sapphire glistening in the full moon light. Pebbles surrounded it in a white o, bordered by the dark green forest. Rei lowered me to my feet, holding me just for a moment. Familiar urges surged through me but I reminded myself it wasn’t that type of date.
“On the other side is Fieldgate.” He explained. “I thought a boat ride would be a nice way to finish the night.”
I nodded and bent to take off my boots. Sliding the black leather down my calves, I stood them next to each other. I raised my skirt just high enough to remove the stockings from the garter. “Can I help?” He asked, already kneeling in front of me. Undoing the straps of the first one, he began to roll it down my leg. “You’re so hot.” Rei mumbled, pressing his mouth to my flesh. Blindly, his other hand reached for the next set of straps.
“Not here.” I whispered as his hand crept farther up my skirt. Then I kicked myself for stopping him. His hands felt so good... “Rei.”
Taking off the other stocking instead, he nodded, “You’re right.”
Rei helped me into the boat before getting in himself. Taking up the oars, he pushed away from shore. We drifted for a second while he removed his leather jacket. I watched his muscles as he moved. Though his built was slight, he was strong.
“Want your presents?” He asked with a grin.
“Of course.”
“Look in my jacket pocket.”
I bundled the leather in my lap and reached into the left pocket. Emptying its contents, I found my red thong and lighter. “I’ve been looking for these everywhere.”
“I was tempted to keep them as mementos. The lighter you earned as you more than kept your part of the bargain.”
“And these?” I held the lacy garment up with one finger.
“In hopes you’ll wear them again.”
“Thanks.” I stuffed them in my purse. “You didn’t have to get me anything. Even though it was mine in the first place.”
“Did I say that was all?”
I reached into the other pocket and felt a small box. It looked just large enough to be a ring. It couldn’t be. “Rei?”
“Just open it?”
I flipped back the lid and my breath was taken away. Inside was a silver locket, its lid was set with red and black stones. Gently I ran a finger over it. It was beautiful. Closing the lid, I set it back on my lap. “Its too much.”
Rei watched me for a moment before speaking. “It was my Mom’s. Really, it’s the only thing I have of hers.” I opened my mouth to protest but he held up a hand to silence me. “It’s also one of the only memories of a good time in my family. My Dad actually remembered their anniversary one year, he’d saved up for months to buy this. The look on her face when she opened it... it was kinda like the look on yours only without the abject horror in the moments before.”
“It wasn’t horror.”
“Was too.” He took the box from me, opening it and touching the locket like I had. “And I want you to have this.”
Rei set the oars and slid from the bench to his knees. My hands gripped the boat, hoping the boat wouldn’t tip. He smiled up at me and stroked my cheek with the backs of his fingers. Pulling the necklace from the box, he did it up around my neck. The pendant fell just below my throat, the velvet cord rubbed softly against my skin. My hands reached out and took his.
“It’s perfect.”
“No it isn’t but you are.”
“Don’t say that.” I whispered. “Please.”
“Why?”
“Because it’s not true.”
He chuckled softly and his hands reached again cupped my face. “You’re perfect for me.”
I kissed him and, in that moment, time melted away. His hands moved to the back of my neck and I reached out for him. I didn’t understand the desperation that drove us. I’d never felt it with any other guy. “Bella,” he pulled his mouth away and rested his forehead against mine. “We should-”
“Stop?”
“Remember, I promised you a proper date.”
“That means you have to let go.”
“You first.”
Rei pulled me into him and I dropped to my knees too. The bottom of the boat was damp against my skin. I shivered and shifted to pull my skirt down. “You didn’t let go.”
“You didn’t want me to.”
“And you do?”
“If we do this, I want to find a bed for us.”
“Your dorm?”
“I’d have to kick my roommate out.”
“My room is out of the question. Rhi doesn’t like you as is.”
He sighed and looked me over. “We can’t just go home...”
“How about we see each other tomorrow?” I suggested, smoothing out his shirt. “That way your roommate will have sufficient notice to find another place to stay.”
“I love the way you think.”
“Wait until tomorrow.”
“How about we get a hotel tonight?”
“Absence makes a heart grow fonder.”
“I think other body parts will miss you more.”
“Oh really?”
“Mmm hmm.”
“Then maybe you should tell me which parts will miss me most so I can take the edge off.”
Rei smiled, “My mouth for one.”
I leaned in and gave him a kiss. “Better?”
“Not yet.” He leaned in and kissed me harder, slipping his tongue into his mouth.
I pushed him back, laughing. “No tongue.”
“It’s lonely too.”
“God, you’re lame.”
“I know.” He laughed and pulled me in against him. “And yet, you haven’t tried to jump ship and swim back.”
“And ruin my dress?”
“You’re right.” He sighed dramatically. “How could I even suggest such a thing?”
“You must be a guy.”
“You wanna know what else hurts?”
Rei lifted his wrist to my mouth. I kissed the skin softly, knowing the blood would probably lead to sex. Not that I was complaining. I just didn’t want to ruin his idea of a perfect date... who was I kidding? Sex had to be included somewhere in his description. As I stated before, he was a guy. I felt him shiver as I scraped him with my teeth. Good. I wanted to torture him a little. I bit in and began to drink. His other hand wrapped in my hair, and roughly pulled my head back. His eyes were shining as he pressed his mouth to mine. Our tongues tangled together and his hands began to wander.

“Don’t rip the dress.”
“I’ll buy you a new one.” He promised even as he pulled the material away from me. My skin tingled as it was revealed to the cool air. With a firm hand, he moved me so I could lean back against the bench, reclining. Rei moved to kneel in front of me, taking off our underwear before resting against me. With his added weight on top of me, the edge of the seat pressed sharply into my back and added to the mix of feelings. His mouth found mine and we kissed again. Thrusting his hips forward, he joined us. I think I might have gasped because he asked, “You okay?”
“Yeah, Rei. It’s not like this is my first time.”
For a minute, he got this wounded look in his eye and stopped moving. He knew I wasn’t a virgin. For God’s sake, we’d done this before. Rei began to touch my face and hair, stroking gently. I didn’t want gentle right now. “Don’t go all mushy on me now.” I hissed in his ear. “Come on, Rei, release the beast.”
He looked in my eyes and seemed a little shocked. But picked up the pace nevertheless. “You’re a mean woman.” He said with a crooked smile. “I like that.”
“So that’s why you were with Jace.”
He smirked down at me. “Then I upgraded.”
“And changed species.”
“Yeah, now I’m an adulterer and a blood sucker.”
“And I’m a slut and your maker.”
“I wouldn’t have you any other way.”
“You’re so sweet.” I pressed my lips to his throat and sucked over the pulse. I could feel him moan and it only urged me on. He’d have a nice souvenir from tonight. Running my hands over his lower back and butt, I could feel him tense.
“Babe, I’m not wearing-”
“I know.”
“You could get...”
“Rei, it’s fine.”
He nodded and kissed my forehead. “I love you, Bella.”
I clung to him as he came, finding my own passion in his. My mind had frozen. He said the ‘l’ word again. And he’d picked a really awkward moment. Had he meant it? My body went through the motions but my mind just wasn’t here.
“Hey.”
I looked up at his face, “Hello.”
Rei moved off me. He cringed as he sat against the damp floor of the boat. Putting an arm around my waist, he pulled me on top of his lap. “This isn’t the most comfortable position.” He mumbled, wiggling against the bench edge.
“Nope.”
“And you didn’t say anything?”
“You were a little preoccupied.”
“Yeah.” Rei put his jacket around me. “What were you thinking about?”
“When?”
“When you looked like a deer in the headlights.”
“You said you loved me...”
“I know.”
“So you mean it?”
“Listen to me, Arabella.” He said solemnly, holding my forearms. “I have never been more serious in my entire life. I didn’t just get caught up in a moment. That wasn’t just some casual during sex declaration.”
“Aren’t we moving a little fast?”
“Bella, we’ve had sex twice!”
I’d had sex with people I didn’t even like before. “Love doesn’t equal sex.”
“You’re right but it’s better if it does.” He sighed. “You already admitted you’re in like with me. Is admitting to love any harder?”
“No.”
“Then say it.”
I took a deep breath in. “I love you.”
Rei nodded, “Thank you. You know when I figured out that I felt this way? It was that day that you came to check on me in the hospital wing. I thought I saw you but then you disappeared on me. The nurse came in later and gave me the lighter. She said it was from a pretty vamp.”
“You were with JC.”
“She was breaking up with me.” He shook his head. “She said she couldn’t be with a vampire. Especially not a blood sucking, lying, doped out, son of a bitch like me.”
“Did she have any adjectives for me?”
“You don’t want to know.”
“Think I could take her?” I asked, narrowing my eyes.
“Hell yeah.”
“What am I talking about?” I sighed, “I stole her boyfriend, she deserves to get a few shots in.”
“You didn’t steal me, Bella because I was never hers.”
“You’re cute.”
“Don’t you mean devilishly handsome?”
“Nope.”
Rei laughed and began to tickle me. I tried to squirm away as the boat rocked. “Don’t tip us!”
“Why?” Grinning, he began to rock it harder. “I wouldn’t mind seeing you all wet.”
“If you tip us, no more sex. Ever.”
The boat stopped moving.
“You couldn’t resist me that long.”
“I don’t know. My other boyfriend keeps me busy.”
“Other boyfriend, eh?”
“Mmm hmm.”
“Tell him to scram.”
“Oh really?”
“If he doesn’t want to get his ass kicked, then yeah.”
“Possessive?”
“Only over you.”
“I love you, Rei.”
“I love you too, Bella.”
I snuggled against him, resting my head on his shoulder. His arms wrapped around me. I felt safe and warm. I felt loved. He began to whisper in my ear. I couldn’t hear everything he said but I could feel the emotion in the words. I’d never heard anything more beautiful. Emotion rose in my chest and tears ran down my cheeks.
“Hey.” He leaned back so he could meet my eyes. “What’s wrong?”
“You’re beautiful.” Rei whispered and kissed a tear from my cheek. “I’m so lucky to have you.”
“You’ll never loose me.”
“Promise?”
“I swear.”
Eternity never seems as long if you’re not alone.
© Copyright 2005 Rei'sGirl (arabellablack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1013428-Fieldgate-Academy-Pt-3