*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1020494-Gardening-Blues
Rated: ASR · Article · Home/Garden · #1020494
Gardening is a pleasurable hobby but there can be downsides...
Everybody understands that gardening is a favourable hobby. I lovce it when sunday arrives; i've just finished my saturday job and i'm tired. Still eager to get out into the garden (as small as it may be) i rush out the back door, take a deep breath. That's when you realsie how many people choose gardening as their sunday hobby. Masses upon masses of front gardens are home to middle class workers tending their beds and borders. I am the same. Gardening has to come first. Gardening offers so many sensual pleasures like the sweet smell of homemade compost, the sight of hundreds of plants standing to attention and the sound of the birds singing their chorus as you work. Clearly, a full course meal for the senses. This may well be the case for spring and summer but with the looming of autumn and winter, for me, it starts to go down the pan. I suffer from SAD (Seasonal affective disorder). The combinatiuon of low light levels and low amount of consultation required in the garden i quickly become depressed and believe me nothing makes you feel worse. Suddenly all will power to rush out into the plant-packed garden dies back. There are cures, light boxes,i am told, work very well as does prozac. However, i choose not to rely on medication so i seclude myself from all human beings. Sometimes i am the most horrible person to be with. I can't help it. It's like a dark shadow weighing me down and nothing can shake it off. I think what keeps me going is the fact that i know spring is getting closer and closer especially with global warming. Soon i will be sowing seeds again and cutting the lawn- all jobs,after a depressive winter, i long to do. So just be aware, gardening can be the most rewarding hobby at times but in winter when it's at its worste it can be very very hardwearing. Something i like to call the 'Gardening Blues'.
© Copyright 2005 Garden Guru (garden-guru at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1020494-Gardening-Blues