*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1021705-A-classic-craftsman-in-modern-times
Rated: E · Other · Tribute · #1021705
the unexagerated talents and accomplishments of my father Angelo Nicolas
This item is a short tribute to my late, beloved father.

A Family Man

Above all, my father was a family man. All his efforts and talents went to the support and protection of his family.

Instead of taking a scholarship to college on graduation from high school, he stayed home to help support his father, sister, and younger brothers.

Later in life he bought land to build a house and cultivate a garden.

He was a skillful fisherman, but didn't care for fish. Family and friends benefited.

His tools were used to earn a living for his wife and children.

A Craftsman

Dad bought a stone quarry so the building stone he produced would not be damaged by the usual methods used by the quarrymen of the time.

The stone from that quarry was used to enlarge a Philadelphia church. That stone was said to have been used, as he supplied it, by the masons on the job.

He built unique and beautiful fire places in his customers homes without damaging their houses and lawns. To some homes he applied stone veneers, and others, artful stone retaining walls to the landscape.

A Hollywood set designer had a fountain built in his Bucks County estate.

Other builders had him erect foundations for their projects, because, his work was said to be square and level to less than an inch and made the builders work much easier.

A local hobbiest built an elaborate doll house for his wife and she had Dad apply an authentic stone foundation of hand cut stone chips, in minature scale.

A Builder

My father and his brothers built houses in New Jersey and Pennsylvania for many years.

They built my Grandparents' (on mothers side) house at the seashore. It is the only stone house in Longport, New Jersey.

Dad built the house that Mother designed, where my sister and I grew up.

His work can be seen on homes throughout the Delaware Valley, and in some places from Canada to Florida.


© Copyright 2005 j. angelo (joecioppi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1021705-A-classic-craftsman-in-modern-times