*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1023022-Halloween-Party-and-Unity
by Janet
Rated: E · Short Story · Community · #1023022
Senior class sponsors party for the town and resurrects community spirit
A Halloween Party Brings Spirit and Unity Home by Janet Vincent

Halloween came early that year in my small hometown. Construction had started on the consolidated high school, scheduled to open the next fall term. Everyone knew there would be no more basketball games and dances in our school. To this day, I've never seen such sadness. Back then, something had to be done to restore our town spirit. The senior class must act!

Simeon, our class president, suggested that we get students from all twelve grades to help us organize a Halloween party for the town. He had obtained support from the teachers and staff by promising the students would do all the work. He asked for a chairman and three helpers for each committee, then with a smile, turned to me.

"Will you ask the businessmen for donations? I know this is a toughie, but I'll help you since we've never done anything like this."

"I'll do it. We'll need help from our advisors. I'll ask Mrs. Eddington to help me write a speech."

I went to find our busy high school English teacher who always took the time to help her students. It was small wonder that she was our favorite teacher. She gave me the main ideas and helped revise and polish my solicitation speech.

Everyone in our town knew everyone else and news of the party spread like wildfire. Students made announcements at their churches and parents invited members of their organizations. The committees worked hard. They planned the program while coordinating with teachers in the older elementary classes to help with the tasks. They even organized a Halloween party and costume contest for the younger classes. Simeon and I went after school to see different businessmen everyday for weeks. Soon, our plans took shape.

The seniors planned a parade with floats, musicians and cheerleaders. They cajoled the volunteer firemen to donate their engine with a special appearance from Flames, their Dalmatian. Mr. Barnhill, the mayor, agreed to ride in the ladder bucket. Mr. Robinson, the banker, would be the master of ceremonies. Sixth graders carved and painted scary faces on the pumpkins.

The food committee decided on a big corn roast to be held at the firehouse lot. They asked each family to bring a covered dish and table service. The entertainment group asked a student dance band to play after the feast and they donated their time for the experience. Firemen agreed to keep a bonfire going and watch while Halloween characters told ghost stories.

The seventh and eighth grade classes designed and printed programs. Students took the flyers home and posted them all over town. Store owners gave them to customers while the café staff invited diners to the gala. The grain elevator operators asked the farmers to join in. The banker and postmistress passed out flyers to everyone they met. Every family in the school district became involved and donations poured in.

We were overwhelmed at the enthusiasm and support from business people. They provided drinks, food, flags, materials and time to help with the set-up. Mr. Barnhill let us use the old armory as our operations center and Mr. Robinson gave cash for decorations and supplies. Church women donated and served food, made costumes and helped children finish their party projects. Farmers donated tractors, horses and wagons for hayrides, firewood, pumpkins, corn and cider. A church men's group offered to handle the apple-bobbing booth. The orchard owner was a member of that group and donated the apples while other members bought the prizes.

Committees met weekly to check progress. Early in October, we made an inventory of goods, money and help. We had received so many goods that we elected to give out door prizes at the party. The eighth graders made tickets and I asked Mr. Robinson to emcee the drawings. Someone had contacted the State Patrol about rerouting traffic for the Saturday event. They agreed to reroute the traffic to the side streets and post an officer at each end of town until we cleared the square. Excitement swelled as everyone waited anxiously for Halloween night.

During the last week, the committee chairmen were excused from afternoon classes after they turned in their homework. They coordinated the parade entries and set up the firehouse lot. On Friday, the entire senior class was excused to set up tables and chairs, mark parking lots, decorate the fire-house lot and the bandstand in the town square. Signs were put up to show the detoured routes for traffic. Even the weatherman cooperated.

Saturday dawned clear and unseasonably warm. Kids in every home were anxious to go see the activity. Moms cooked and baked goodies for the evening feast and checked costumes while dads made last minute repairs on floats and bikes. Committee members double checked all the parade entries, prizes and last-minute details. The stores closed early and their customers were congenial when they couldn't find a parking spot. The party mood was infectious.

At five o'clock, the band played the Star Spangled Banner and the crowd enthusiastically sang. As the parade slowly passed the grandstand, the emcee named the sponsors and people on each float and entry. The applause was deafening. The fire engine signaled the end of the parade with the siren screeching and the mayor riding in the ladder bucket. Little kids danced excitedly, their mouths shaped like small donuts and their eyes like saucers. The ninth grade float won first prize; no one was sure if it was because of the Halloween theme or the candy corn they threw to the crowd. Cheers, whistles and loud applause followed the cheerleaders as they pranced by, pompoms flashing orange, black and white in time with the music.

Hungry people surged to the firehouse lot, waiting for the food crew to serve dinner. Women brought their goodies to the sturdy buffet table. It was covered with roasted corn, hot dogs, hamburgers, salads, vegetables, chicken, ham, baked beans and desserts to die for. Many people returned to the tables later for seconds. There was enough food to feed the whole county and no one went away hungry!

The little band played popular music as couples danced in the town square. Fire flamed from the stacked wood, its feathery fingers of orange and red reaching for the sky. After dark, a witch appeared and told ghost stories. At the scariest parts, children shrieked and held onto someone nearby. No one knew who had the most fun at the apple-bobbing booth. The kids got wet and some adults joined in, too. The church men's group laughed the most. Mr. Robinson called prize numbers throughout the evening to the delight of the winners.

Hay-wagons, filled with kids of all ages, wound around town and through the cemetery. Ghosts and goblins greeted the wagons on every corner and gave away more candy corn. Someone hid behind the largest tombstone as the wagons went by then scared them with his eerie screech. We could hear the screams downtown. Music and laughter filled the air.

Near the end of the evening, the mayor thanked everyone who helped make our party a community success: students, parents, donors, farmers and businessmen. Neighbors thanked one another as they met in the crowd. Everyone agreed this party was the best thing they had seen in a long time. The party continued until midnight, a rare event in our small town. Happy people helped take down chairs, tables and decorations; firemen stored the engine for the next alarm. The square was cleaned up and traffic returned to Main Street.

The town leaders soon took another look at the school building and proposed that it be used as a new community center. They began a modest remodeling project after the term ended and opened the center a year later. Church, Grange and other organizations rented the building for dances, meetings, and social events. The ball diamonds and playground served as the town park. A town league formed to play adult softball and the fathers agreed to coach a Little League team. Enough kids signed up for two teams the first year.

Soon, new buildings appeared in town as people realized their latent potential to grow. Neighbors joined together to beautify their streets while business owners renovated their stores. A new community spirit encouraged our townspeople to unite and grow as never before.

On a larger scale, life also changed in America after 9/11. People came together in compassionate unity during a trying time to help others in quiet, heroic efforts to save lives. In spite of the loss and grieving, our nation emerged strong, united and always ready to share with others in need. We pray that these lessons of unity remain as we face today's issues that threaten the safety and peace of our nation and the world.

The approaching holidays offer opportunities to be thankful and share love, brotherhood and unity with our families and friends. May you and yours enjoy these blessings in peace and love - as we did!
© Copyright 2005 Janet (janetv at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1023022-Halloween-Party-and-Unity