*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1027185-A-Grumpy-Old-Woman
Rated: E · Short Story · Entertainment · #1027185
Halloween in a different light
A Grumpy Old Woman


“Twisted and perverted! Yes, that is what it is.” The old woman grumbled. “It is supposed to be a holy night. Hollow’s eve. I don’t get it.”
“Yes your grace,” The younger woman followed quickly behind, a woven basket hanging off her thin little arm.
“With goblins, ghouls, ghosts and devils; it’s no wonder this world has gone mad. “ She continued as she climbed the carpeted stairs to the 3rd floor, passing a stained glass window of Moses and the Ten Commandments. “This is not a time for creepy crawlers and horror stories. It is a time for prayer and hope.”
She stopped at the top of the landing to catch her breathe and fix her black and white dress.
“Yes your gra….” The younger woman, dressed in a light blue dress and headpiece bumped in to the hind side of this penguin looking chatter box, nearly dropping the woven basket.
The old woman shot her a hot glance of disapproval. “Do be careful Marianna.”
“Yes your grace.” Marianna quickly stabilized her cargo and stepped up to open the door that led out onto the porch.
“This is the reason why our children are so disrespectful.” The old woman with the sagging double chin said as she stepped through the doorway into the crisp October night. “Why our teeth are full of cavities. Why, why we are so plump.”
Since when is a witch a green ugly old woman? Talk about stereo typing?” Hand me the basket Marianna.
“Yes your grace.” Marianna quickly handed the portly old woman, dressed in black and white, the basket.
“They trick or treat with their wicked little song. “Trick or treat smell my feet give me something good to eat.” I’ll give you something to eat. A box full of soap powder is what you will get.
“Sister Superior?” Marianna asked as she watched the old woman pull a large brown egg from the basket. “Why are we up here on the 3rd floor porch on Halloween?”
Sister Penguin looked at Marianna with such a childlike smile, holding the egg and setting herself in a pitching stance. “If just one of those little kids comes to our convent to sing trick or treat; He or she is going to get pelted with this egg.” The sister superior burst out with a hearty laugh that took root in the stomach of the shocked young woman and spread out among the both of them, “Now that, Marianna, is how I prepare for Halloween!”
© Copyright 2005 lgserio (lgserio at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1027185-A-Grumpy-Old-Woman