*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1027850-My-Very-First-Date
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1027850
The story of a girl going on her first date. The before, during, and after.
         Hi my name is Marian! I just had my first date ever last night. Do you wanna hear about it? Of course you do, that’s why you’re here. So let me tell you a bit about myself before we start.
         I am fourteen years old, a freshman in high school. I’m a little chubby, but I blame my parents for that because I was the first born and my parents didn’t really know how to raise a kid properly, food wise. They never really knew when enough was enough, and I always got my way when I wanted something to eat. So I’ve never really lost my “baby fat” as my parents still call it. I have flaming red hair with bangs, green eyes, and freckles galore all over my body. I guess you could say I’m a bigger version of Pipi-Long Stocking, but I haven‘t worn pigtails in my hair since I was seven.
         The boy that asked me out for my first date ever was this cute boy in my grade named George, but everyone in school calls him “G”. He’s taller than me, has dirty blonde hair, brown eyes, and is very athletic, probably because he’s on the JV hockey team at school. He’s not the best player, but he isn’t the worst either.
         We share several classes together, and it was on Wednesday at the end of our U.S. History class that he pulled me aside. You can imagine my surprise when he asked me out on a date for Friday night.
         My automatic reaction was, “Is this a joke?”
         He swore that is wasn’t. I was speechless, I didn’t know what to say to that. I never thought anyone would find me datable, especially a cute guy like “G”.
         “So is that a yes then?”
         “Sure,” was all I was able to let out.
         “Great! I’ll pick you up at six at your house, okay?”
         I nodded and he smiled, said goodbye and left me standing alone in the nearly empty hallway. I stood shocked for a moment, then came back to life when the second bell rang, telling me that I was going to be late for Algebra.
         I was so excited when Friday came around. I couldn’t wait to get home from school and get ready for my date at six. Of course Friday couldn’t have gone any slower, but I finally made it home. I rushed up to my room and started to prepare for my first date. I gave myself three hours to get ready, because I didn’t know how much time I needed, seeing as I’ve never done anything like this before.
         The first thing I had to do was take a bubble bath. That’s what SEVENTEEN Magazine says is the best way to prepare for a date. It’s suppose to take thirty minutes and it says that it’ll help you relax and stay calm. Of course the magazine didn’t state anything about what to do when my youngest sister, Jane would walk in and out of the bathroom asking me a million questions about my date, and not really giving me a chance to relax.
         After giving up on the bath thirty-four minutes later, I moved on to the second step. Selecting the proper outfit to wear. I knew we were going to go see a movie, and I also knew that the movie theaters are always blasting their A/C, so I had to decide between wearing a mini-skirt, a long skirt, pants, or maybe even a dress. Seeing as this was my first date ever, and that I am self-conscious about my weight I decided on wearing a long skirt. Next was deciding the top to go with it.
         Finally after choosing a light brown knitted hoody I went into step three, which was the part I definitely knew best. Putting on my make-up. My mom had taught me a year ago how to put make-up on properly, and I’ve definitely mastered the art. So that step didn’t take me long.
         Now for the last step, waiting. I noticed that I still had forty-five minutes left until “G” was suppose to arrive. So before going downstairs to show my family what I looked like for my date, I made a quick entry in my diary, just like I did every day.
         I was so nervous about what everyone would say as I headed down the stairs and turned to enter the den. My parents, two sisters, and my dog were all focused on the television. Jane was the first to turn and notice me, and soon everyone’s eyes were on me.
         “Oh, Mary! You look beautiful!” My mom squealed jumping out of her seat and hugging me, “Doesn’t she, Nick?”
         My father smiled at me with approval, “Yes it’s true, you do look beautiful, Kitten.” That was my nickname my dad always used on me.
         “So what are you going to do on your date tonight with George?” My mom asked sitting back down next to my dad on the couch.
         I took a seat in between my sisters, Jane and Tiffany, “His dad is going to drop us off at the movies. We’re going to see the new Zorro movie tonight, which I’ve been wanting to see. Anyway, after that his dad is going to pick us up and take us for ice-cream before bringing me back home.”
         “Sounds exciting.” My dad approved.
         After that everyone turned their focus back to the television. I couldn’t even tell you what they were watching, because every couple seconds I would glance up at the VCR clock to see how much time I had left. Finally when the doorbell rang I jumped up so fast that my dog didn’t even get a chance to start barking, like he usually would when someone’s at the door. I pranced to the front door, my dad was right behind me before I could tell him to go away. Luckily, George’s father was right next to him too when I opened the door, so I wasn’t as mad anymore.
         Our father’s talked small talk while “G” and I stood quietly looking annoyed at our parents. I nudged my dad to quit, and he got the hint, but of course had to embarrass me again by saying, “Well, let’s not keep the puppy love waiting any longer.”
         My face matched my hair at that moment, I glanced over at “G” and he too was a fidgety at that statement. You couldn’t imagine my relief when we were in Mr. Carson’s (George’s dad) car. We both sat in the window seats in the back, and both looked out our own window. This was definitely a bad start.
         Once at the theater Mr. Carson told us to have fun and that he’d be back in two hours once the movie was over. George and I walked over to the ticket counter and he bought my ticket for me. I couldn’t help but smile at that and the thought that this was actually a real date. He then went on to buy us a medium popcorn bucket to share and each of us a drink. My stomach had so many butterflies inside I was certain one would fly out of my mouth at any moment.
         We chatted for a little bit, mainly about school and homework assignments, while we waited for the movie to begin. Once it began we didn’t look at each other at all, and we sort of touched, but that was completely by accident. He was taking his hand out of the popcorn box and mine was going in, and we totally brushed hands! But that was about it sadly.
         The movie was good, but I was so glad when it was over. George and I didn’t really have that much to talk to after the movie. So we pretty much walked out in silence. I couldn’t wait to find Mr. Carson, get my ice cream, and go home. This first date was not going the way I had hoped or expected.
         Mr. Carson took us to the ice-cream parlor and went inside with George and I. He was nice enough to pay for us and then we all sat at a round table with an umbrella, outside near the car. Mr. Carson made things much more relaxed, mainly because he helped keep the conversation going. Things definitely started to improve between George and I, but thought it wouldn’t last when Mr. Carson excused himself to go to the bathroom before he drove me home.
         “I had a great time tonight, Mary,” George said to me out of nowhere.
         “Really? I didn’t think you were.”
         “I was just really nervous, I’m sorry. This is my first date alone with a girl, and I guess I just didn’t know how to handle it,” George admitted.
         “Wow!” Was all I could say. So the dates destruction wasn’t only my fault. That definitely made me feel a lot better.
         Before anything more could be said Mr. Carson reappeared and had us get back in the car. This time the ride was a lot more comfortable. I had my hand resting in the middle of the backseat, and you’ll never guess what happened! George put his hand next to mine on purpose and our pinkie fingers touched. They remained that way all the way back to my house.
         Mr. Carson waited in the car while George walked me to the front door. I prayed that my parents wouldn’t be waiting on the other side of the door and spoil my chance for my first kiss.
         “Thanks for taking me to the movies, ‘G’,” I said as I grabbed onto the doorknob.
         “You’re welcome,” he said stand right across from me. He moved a baby step closer to me, “Hey Mary, can I ask you a favor?” All I could do was nod because there was a frog caught in my throat. “Can I kiss you?” George said in practically a whisper.
         I nodded again and before I knew it he leaned in and placed his lips on mine. Can you believe that I was so shocked that he did that, that I actually jumped back.
         “Would you like to go out again next Friday?” George laughed. I was shocked, he was asking me out again.
         “Okay,” I agreed. I opened my front door finally, “Well, goodnight.”
         “Goodnight Marian,” He smiled and let me close the door first before actually heading back to his dad’s car.
         What more can I say? That was the best and the worst first date I’ve ever had. Then again, I still have a whole life in front of me, so I don’t know what all my other first dates will hold. But I do know that I’ll compare all of them to this VERY first date.
THE END
© Copyright 2005 Carrie P. (cpeterson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1027850-My-Very-First-Date