*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1028503-The-Kings-of-Europe
Rated: E · Article · Sports · #1028503
Dedicated to Liverpool F.C and Istanbul
Istanbul, Turkey
English fans stood flabbergasted, cheering on their men in hopelessness as they retreated into the tunnel. In a mere 45 minutes they had seen the Italians undo all their hard work and heroics. A minute into the game, a Paolo Maldini strike had put Milan on the score sheet. What followed was a half of domination capped off with two Hernan Crespo thunderbolts. 3-0 down at the break, Juve and Chelsea seemed a distant memory. The handful of Milan fans that had made the trip now cheered, the other five thousand hoped for a miracle. Millions believed this was Liverpool’s year, they had been minutes from being eliminated, yet they overcame the Greeks at Anfield, they were drawn against a team that thrashed the Galacticos, yet they thrashed them 6-2; they sent the mighty Juve crashing out, they derailed the vanquishers of Barcelona. But now, who could score three in a half against the greatest defense in Europe.
Maldini led Milan out, like a pack of wolves that’d cornered their prey. The Italians smelled of Champagne, they touched the cup believing it was already theirs.
Following them, walked out a broken red army and out walked the great Steven Gerard, perhaps for the last time in a red jersey.
Maybe it was this thought that startled the fans, “Lose this match and Stevie G. moves to Chelsea”, it hadn’t been said but some things don’t have to be. “We support the greatest football club in the world” thought they “And we’ll support them till the end”. Slowly but surely their voices crescended. The handful of Milan supporters were drowned out as somber strains of “You’ll Never Walk Alone” filled the Turkish capital. In moments an unfamiliar stadium in a foreign land had vanished, the players now felt they were walking onto the greens of Anfield.
The Italians were visibly shaken, the players knew if they were to do anything they had to do so before their opponents could pull themselves together. So began the miracle:
Just as he had against Olympiacos, Stevie G. began the turnaround. A winger sent a hopeful ball into the box, and Gerard dispatched it with deadly accuracy. 3-1.
Istanbul erupted as if a golden goal had been scored. This was the catalyst that was needed. Milan for the time forgot they were still 2 goals to the good.
6 minutes later, Smicer, of all people, forever an Anfield flop and playing his last match for the club volleyed in through the keeper’s legs and Liverpool were back in contention.
Immediately after the restart Milan gave the ball away, the reds charged, Gerard was brought down in the box, PENALTY! Xabi Alonso hit the ball in on the rebound and from 3-0 down, Liverpool was back 3-3. 8 minutes was all the miracle took.
That woke Milan up; they were back playing like Champions. The reds had to hold off charge after charge, as Jamie Carrager and Jerzy Dudek defended like their lives depended on it.
And then deep into the second and final period of extra time, when Milan Marksman Andriy Shevchenko missed a sitter, it was as if God himself had come to save Liverpool. The Match went to penalties:
In his time at Liverpool Jerzy Dudek had had his critics and was probably going to be replaced next season, but his performance showed just what he was worth. His antics threw off 3 Milan penalty kickers as Liverpool capped off the biggest turnaround in Champions League History by winning 4-2 on penalties.
When Dudek saved Shevchenko’s last penalty, the city erupted. Fireworks filled the night sky. The great Paisley might have been proud of this performance as the 2005 Reds made their team the first British Team in history to win the trophy 5 times.
Stevie G. was staying at Anfield, “The players didn’t win it for the fans” he said “the Fans won this one for the players”.
The Song had resounded through the night but for one final time Istanbul erupted:
When you walk through a storm
hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark.
At the end of a storm is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark.
Walk on through the wind,
Walk on through the rain,
Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.
Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never, ever walk alone.
Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never, ever walk alone.

© Copyright 2005 Desperado (biswadeep01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1028503-The-Kings-of-Europe