*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1031937-Poetry-NL-Nov-23---Poetry-to-me
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Editorial · Biographical · #1031937
Views from me and others about how we became interested in poetry.
         Since this is the Thanksgiving season in the U.S., leading to Christmas, I decided to do a newsletter about poetry and thankfulness: How and where did some of us discover poetry, what it means to us, and one of our favorite poems on the site.

         Poetry is something for which to be thankful in the writing world. I'm very thankful for the poets I've met on Writing.Com and for their creations. I'm also extremely grateful for Bianca b_boonstra and what she has given me and others through her poetry research and writings.

Viv
A logo for Poetry Newsletter Editors


Next week's editor will be Becky Simpson

What Does Poetry Mean to Me, to You?


         I don't know how I became interested in poetry or really when. I have always written poetry as long as I can remember. When my mother died, I found a book that I made when I was in the third grade. I had cut poems out of magazines and copied some from books. One of the poems written in the little book, bound in construction paper, was mine.

         Poetry is my therapy, my first and foremost need to write. I awaken at night with words that must be written. I believe I think in poetry and then have to translate into prose.

         carlton607 wrote an email to b_boonstra, and both agreed to allow me to use it in the newsletter. In fact his message gave me the idea for us to share what poetry means to us.

Hi Bianca --

         Ever since I started entering pieces in your poetry contests in the Writer's Cramp, I've found myself thinking differently. At first it seemed too hard; then I read your tutorials and I gained an understanding; now I find myself
visiting your port in order to challenge myself and learn about other ways to express my feelings.

         I wanted you to know, that ON MY OWN, I wrote the following:

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1025833 by Not Available.


         I didn't do it for a contest. I did it because I felt a need to write something. It's probably not even worth mentioning - except for the fact that I had to think while constructing it.

         Slowly I'm learning the ins and outs and in-betweens of poetry. And in the process I'm gaining respect for words and word usage. I'll never be a Yeats or Whitman, but I will be a more learned person because of you.

         I don't know if you are familiar with Rosa Parks; if not, my words may make no sense to you. But I have a feeling you do know her...or at least her place in U.S. history.

         Thank you for opening my mind to expressing my thoughts in a myriad of ways.


         Then in an email to me, saying I could use his email, he added the following information:

         I was from the school of poetry that everything had to rhyme; thanks to Bianca, my mind has been opened. I now have respect for poetry - writing it, but especially reading it.

         When I was in 10th grade, we had to read Longfellow's "Evangeline" and I had great problems with it because it was 'poetry' but it didn't rhyme. My teacher, Mrs. Sprandel, told me to read it as a story and follow the
punctuation. I did that but wondered why it wasn't written as a story in the first place... That was 36 years ago.

         Almost two years ago, I joined writing.com and one day stumbled across Writer's Cramp and began writing stories. Then, THE DAY came when Bianca posted a poetry prompt! "Ugh," I thought, "it's 'Evangeline' all over again."

         Instead of not entering something, I went to her port and followed her tutorial and wrote something. I didn't win the contest, but I did win in another sense...I learned the value of words. I tend to be verbose in my writing, and I was forced to be selective and judicious in word choice. I gained respect that has helped me in my other writings.

         Yesterday, when I heard about the passing of Rosa Parks, I wanted to write my feelings. A story didn't seem appropriate so I went to Bianca's port and tried to write a villanelle. I'm thankful that I had another choice to express what I was feeling. My words won't affect history, but maybe someone else will stumble across my effort and provide impetus enough to write something in the same vein. And if that happens, we're all benefited.

         My dabbling in poetry HAS affected the way I view life. I'm a latecomer to the medium, but I'm glad I arrived!


         I felt Jesse put into words what so many people feel so well I had to use nearly everything written. Personally, I'm also glad he arrived.

         I then questioned some other poets on the site, and Harry replied first.

         In high school and at college I always enjoyed poetry when we studied literature. I was a fan of Poe and Tennyson, liking rhyming poetry in particular. However, my studies took me into microbiology as a career, and I eventually ended up as a professor at a medical school, teaching and performing vaccine research. I wrote a lot, but it was all scientific writing...rigid and formal. One day in August of 2001, I was surfing the Internet while eating lunch at my desk, and I came across an ad for a poetry contest...one of those "write a poem to fit this box and win $100." On a lark I tried writing a poem. I was hooked immediately! I loved the freedom of expression and the ability to be totally creative. From that day on, I began writing poetry as an outlet for my thoughts and beliefs.

         Poetry gives me a means to be creative and to express myself to others. It gives me great pleasure to both write and to read poetry. My life now would not be complete without poetry.


         daycare stated: I became interested in poetry in high shool. I remember the teacher reading Robert Frost. I loved those times. Then we began to receive writing assignments. I was told I had a gift by my eleventh grade English teacher. I became more serious at that point.

         Poetry means the freedom to unleash anything that moves me on an emotional level. I often find my poems are triggered by everyday life. Something happens to inspire me, and I simply put it on paper. It gives me a sense of achievement when I hit edit and know I have done well. It's just a feeling. With me, it is black or white, simple and to the point. Every piece tells a story. If I have told mine well, I can sense it. Just a feeling.


         Wendie sent the following message with her link: I'm going to be vain and give you the link to one of my favorites. It may not appeal to anyone else, but it is one I love. It came to me after a hockey game where the so-called elite sat on one end of the bleachers, and the common-folk sat on the other.


         From Lexi we hear: The first poem I remember reading as a child is "Splendor in the Grass" by William Wordsworth. Since then other poets, authors, and song writers have continued to leave an impression on me. Sylvia Plath makes me want to explore the darker side of writing, and Tori Amos' lyrics take my imagination into directions I would have never ventured.

         Since I was the age of 16, different people and experiences have aided in the creation of many of my pieces.

         I use poetry as a tool to explore different situations life presents.


         Poet reblackwell gave his views:I became interested in poetry during my high school years; I even dubbed myself the class poet. That makes it more gratifying that 26 years later, I am published.

         What poetry means to me is best expressed in the following poem.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1032006 by Not Available.


         The above poem is part of the Sunshine for the Soul collection and is an
all-time favorite.


         According to Becky Simpson : I first wrote poetry in elementary school, then about age ten I lost interest in it and switched to writing short stories (my Mom was an a mature writer). Then in college I was introduced to the classics and had an affinity for poetry. This I squashed until a friend introduced me to Writing.Com. I immediately began to experiment with poetry and found it to be something my soul had missed through the years.

         Poetry is a way for me to express my deepest emotions in vivid mind paintings for others to interpret. Though in reality I don't care if anybody reads them, my poems are written as a release from pain, a shout of joy, a moan of pain, an admission of guilt, an expression of desire. For me poetry has no limits to its flexibility. I may express anything thing poetically.

         My favorite poem was written by Teardrop and is called "Forever And A Day." For me it is one of the most beautifully written and emotionally moving works I have seen.


         Another poet on the site,wordstalker , wrote: I think poetry has been with me always, through simple childhood rhymes to later, lyrics from popular music. I guess its outward manifestation from myself came through falling in and out of love. Great emotion is a major trigger.

         For me, it's is too ambiguous to say poetry everything and nothing at all, but to me,
because poetry can be found in anything from the sound of raindrops to the sight of the sun on silent water, it can just as easily be overlooked as inspire awe.

         There are so many favorite poems to choose from... but I choose "La Luna.


         Finally, Stormy Lady gives us a few words: I saw a play in
high school called the "Outsiders". In the play they read, "Nothing Gold Can Stay" by Robert Frost, I was sold on poetry from that point on.

          Poetry is a release for me. I guess it is like a photo, just using words. I can read one right after another.I can spend hours hiding in poetry and feel as though I have traveled all over the world. It also give me a wide realm of
emotions at any time.


         How can I be anything but thankful when we have such intelligent and well-written poets on W.Com? Have a happy Thanksgiving those from the U.S.


Favorite Poems


         I decided to highligt the favorite poems given by the people who participated in this newsletter, either one of their own or one they chose written by someone else on the site.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#624382 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#874396 by Not Available.

The Canine's Howling At The Moon  (E)
poem about why canines howl at the moon
#415185 by Harry

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#577864 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#990822 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#918725 by Not Available.

 Pieces of You  (18+)
comfortable love
#784859 by cubert

 Kimberly  (E)
This poem is a simple heart felt love poem to my wife.
#539602 by Theophilus Lightwalker

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#530696 by Not Available.

Closure  (ASR)
What brings closure to love?
#870758 by Vivian

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#913728 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1008654 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#674734 by Not Available.

 La Luna  (13+)
Something we've all seen.
#946933 by katwoman45

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#972432 by Not Available.


Now, a Word from Our Readers


         First I'll list those who had the correct answer from October's newsletter, "What is analogy?" Then I'll share the other feedback sent by wonderful readers.

ncblondie
isam
St. Patrickraken
Zuly
mrziggles
Lou-Here By His Grace
laine

Mothermouse--come visit me
         An analogy is a comparison or example of something more familiar to something less familiar. I often use the analogy of the school room science example, of the light bulb and circuit and how the bulb lights up just fine unless there is a short or power surge, when I am explaining how a bipolar person gets out of hand when there is a spike or drop in horomones resulting in either manic or depressive behavior.

         Very good analogy example. Thank you for sharing it.

Marti
         An analogy is a comparison of certain similarities between things which are otherwise unlike. A street light is like a star. Both provide light at night, both are in predictable locations, both are overhead, and both serve no function in the daytime.
                   sunshine sadie

         I like your example.

billwilcox
VIV!
         Wow, very well done. I always thought a Nalogy was the study of Nals (a small rodent in the farthest reaches of the frozen tundra).

         Oh, funny, Bill, I can always depend on you for a laugh.

Theophilus Lightwalker
Hi, Viv,
         Just a note to thank you for your input and your influence. You're a part of what made my book, Impressions of Passion go to press. Thanks again and God bless you.
                   Theo

{indent]Thank you. I'm glad if I were able to help in any way, and I hope any possible influence was a good one.

seleneyue
         Eh, you gave us the links to previous newletters, but not the passkeys for the sokoda/sedoka. it would help.

         I'm so sorry I forgot to put "August 3, 05 Newsletter about the Sedoka accessible. It is now.

juhi
         Thank you for considering my poem, "Life", worth being included! It really matters a lot to me.

         I was happy to include it.

          I appreciate all the comments and information sent me by readers. Thanks.

This issue's question/contest


         The first twenty who publically review two of the list of highlighted items this issue, and who have the best reviews, will receive 1,000 gift points as review rewards. Remember each review must be at least 250 characters long (not counting any emoticons or sigs), be posted publically, and be helpful valid reviews.

         When you have posted your reviews, email me with the time, date, and link to the items you reviewed. Also, please give me permission in your email to use your reviews in the newsletter.

Until next time keep reading and writing beautiful poetry.

Vivian
© Copyright 2005 Vivian (vzabel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1031937-Poetry-NL-Nov-23---Poetry-to-me