*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1033714-The-Sledding-Sign
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1033714
A young boy faces and overcomes his fear. read how he does this!
*Snow2*The wind was real bad.*Snow2* My scarf kept blowing off my face and my skin was burning. Tons of kids were everywhere, laughing, running, jumping up and flopping down hard on their sleds and saucers. One after another, they zoomed down that hill so fast on account of the snow being packed so tight. I watched them for hours, trying to make myself brave enough to do the same thing they were doing.*Confused*

I go through this every year. It’s been two whole winters now and I just can’t do it. I know I am brave. Besides, everyone else can do it so, why can’t I? *Frown* All the kids in Mrs. Lewis’ third grade class think I’m a baby. They don’t know how fast my heart beats or how hard I try to make my feet move only to be stuck on that hill watching and feeling stupid.*Worry*

Jimmy Baker saw me and started over to where I was stuck. Oh Jeez, I can’t let him make fun of me. I was too cold and my fingers were prickly. I might try and push him but, I’d probably miss or fall or something. I’d only look stupider!*Confused*

I looked around for someplace else to go but, the only thing I saw near me was the big red and yellow sledding sign. I always thought the picture was funny.*Laugh* It looks like somebody went down the hill before they were ready and they’re holding on, just screaming out loud! But, you couldn’t really hide behind it cause it was too skinny. Its been here since my parents were little and came here sledding. I wonder if my dad had problems going down this hill too?

My sled was the only shield I could find so, I held it in front of me like I was going to run and fling myself down the hill. Jimmy was getting closer. Close enough for me to see the sneer on his face. What could I do? If I stayed here Jimmy would make me sorry but, the only way out was down the hill. Oh boy, which one was worse? *Confused*

I knew what I had to do. That darn hill had the best of me for too long now.*Angry* I was going to go. I saw Jimmy from the corner of my eye and he was so close I could smell his stink.*Smirk* Whew that was bad.*Exclaim* I figured, if I timed it just right, I could pass him just as he was thinking he had me. I counted down..10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, …and I was running!*Delight*

I was flying! When I saw the hill crest, I jumped, flinging myself up on the sled. I watched this so many times it was a piece of cake! I did it!!!*Delight* All thanks to Jimmy Baker who will never know it was his fault I finally made it down that hill. *Cool*





© Copyright 2005 Loralei (lorimb37 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1033714-The-Sledding-Sign