*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1035907-Masks
by Belle
Rated: 13+ · Novella · Mystery · #1035907
Michelle discovers that to save her boyfriend she must expose powerful members of society.
Masks

Chapter One

Panic is an amazing human emotion it can lead you to do things that, although they make sense to you, are incredibly stupid if looked at from a distance. This was my case, when the guy in the mask came into my living room, I didn’t move for what seemed like a century but really was only a minute or two, still too long. The funny thing is he looked almost startled to see me too. I couldn’t see his face but he just stood there for the same amount of time I sat staring at him, and stared back. I should have taken into account that crucial first reaction and stored it in my memory, or little warning alarms should have gone off…but instead I completely forgot about. That was a stupid thing to do as I now realize, if only I had remembered how he had reacted, it would have saved me a lot of trouble. But sometimes, I have come to learn that little things come together to create big problems. I wish with all my heart that things had gone a different way, that I had put together the pieces faster and solved the puzzle in time, but unfortunately I didn’t and there’s nothing I can do about it now. All I can do right now is wait here while people I should trust and know plan to kill the only person who ever cared enough to understand me, and by not judging me and trying to shape me into a pretty little doll for his own pleasure, became the only reason for me to stay alive and not end my life. A person I shouldn’t trust and hate according to all the moral and sane perceptions made by society. But I was never really one to lead a normal life; my life mirrored that of a soap opera’s, only not so glamorously. I often hated how no matter how hard I tried something beyond my control would always jeopardize my chances of having a normal life. I guess sometimes though good things can come out of the most impossible situations, but very rarely. The only good thing from all of this was getting close to Aiden and by doing so finding myself. It’s been said that misery loves company, maybe what the saying should have been was: miserable and unhappy people feel a strong pull and mutual understanding with other miserable and unhappy people. That was the case with Aiden and me. Although we both hid it really well, people often do, sine unfortunately unhappy people are shunned, and the old see no evil… Anyway since we could hide our feelings really well we never noticed how similar we were. Going to the same school we never once talked to each other event though we had many mutual friends. It’s funny almost how such a terrible situation brought us together and made us face each other and see our souls mirrored in the other’s eyes. That one crucial moment when we were both wearing layers of masks, staring at each other in my living, not believing we were seeing each other, that we were people we were in school and in front of our friends and family. That one moment catalyzed the formation of a bond so strong that not even deceit, betrayal, hatred and every other possible thing imaginable could break it apart. That bond is the reason I’m standing here today, going against everything I believed in and jeopardizing everything I’ve worked for, going against my nature and completely throwing out my perception of the world around me. I’m a blank page, here in this room right now, writing down a new history, writing a story that can only be taken seriously if considered false, a work of fiction. These men around me control without knowing it whether or not I’ll live to see another year, celebrate my 17th birthday. Unknowingly they’ve taken something very precious to me, these respected men, who are so-called heroes and legends will be revealed for who they really are. Although Aiden got me into this, I can forgive him because of everything he gave to me in return. But the best of stories don’t make sense until told from the beginning. Thinking of the beginning of all of this makes me want to cringe and laugh, scream and cry. But I also need to tell someone about what happened and why it happened. Everyone needs to know that the death of those two girls came from a place darker than they imagined. No one wants to see the truth revealed, masks make everything look pretty, we’re too scared to look at the ugliness we call reality.

The day it started was as hectic and chaotic as any other day of my life. It was a Thursday and I started the day by getting ready to go to school….

“Michelle, hurry up or he’s going to leave without you”.

“I’m coming, Mom”, I replied trying to get downstairs as soon as possible. Maybe I could score some brownie points with him if I got there before he did. But when I got there he was already waiting at the door.

“Why don’t you understand that I won’t wait for you”, he screamed, “You wait for me but don’t think you’re so good that I’ll wait for you, you little bitch. From now on I’m not gonna wait one second for you, not one, you understand.”

I nodded. Man, I thought, what did I do now to make him so pissed off? I did what I usually do when he screams and yells at me. I thought about how I could kill myself, the most efficient way possible. But not before killing him.

Looking back I shudder to think that someone could have discovered my deepest darkest wish. As Shakespeare once said, that if men had the ability to look ahead and see the future, a lot of trouble could be saved. If only I’d paid attention in English and listened I could have seen that Shakespeare knew a lot about life.


Please Rate and Review. All feedback is appreciated.
© Copyright 2005 Belle (beauti89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1035907-Masks