*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1037909-A-Small-World-for-Spies
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1037909
Inspired by my favorite TV show "ALIAS", I used a character or two from it.
Eyes burning. Throat dry. Feet blistered. Skin scorched. It was a typical day for Amanda Wilts at work. She worked for the CIA as a field officer or as anyone would say, "spy." Her job required her to go to other countries under different aliases to spy on, extort from, exploit, and even assassinate the enemies of the United States. When she was first recruited she felt proud and patriotic but later on she started to dislike it. Her job also required her to not tell anyone about it, which meant lying to her friends and family, she had to tell them that she was a real estate agent.
Her current mission was in Cairo and she was suppose to spy on the enemy know as the "Chameleon." The CIA and other Alliances don't know who this man's name was or whom he worked for. She managed to get a couple of pictures but nothing more; she knew her assigner would be unhappy. She lifted her scarf from her face and looked up. The wind had died down, so there wasn't much sand blowing around. All she could see were the sandy dunes and a pyramid about 10 miles to the east of her. She climbed a dune, peered over and saw her extraction point. She thought to herself and wondered if her calculations were correct, her extraction point wasn't for another three miles.
She saw Terri, a friend from work, running toward her, "Hurry! Get in the helicopter!" Terri yelled. Amanda picked up her pace and jumped in. Amanda asked, “Why are you picking me up? I thought Kyle was my extractor.” “He is…” Terri paused, “Last night when you were on your way here, a break in occurred at the Intelligence Headquarters and for some weird reason they downloaded your files and erased you off the database.” There was a paused as they lifted, “And the officials think you had something to do with it and they were going to arrest you at the extraction point.” Amanda sat there trying to process what she had just heard. “We have to get those files that so we are going on a secret mission. In the back, there is a black purse in that you will find a passport and ID, you will pose as Irena Derevka, an insurance official. You will go to Russia, meet with me since we have to take separate planes, and catch a ride to Norena Trade Center. In the main office you will ask for the head of security and say you are testing the security system. When he gives you access to the main-“ “Wait one sec,” Amanda aid interrupting Terri, “ Why the heck am I going to Russia? I think I should just go back and explain that I had nothing to do with the break in.” “Yea but they won’t believe you, at least if you return with you data they will somewhat believe you.”
“But me running away from them and going to Russia just proves that I’m guilty!”
“I know you can prove yourself.”
“How do you even know that its Russian Intelligence?”
“Because I picked up three transmissions that matched the same ones that we found when your parents were killed.” Amanda remembered that her parents were killed fourteen years ago on a mission in Russia.
“But why are they after me?”
“I don’t have a clue.”

She arrived in Moscow four hours later. She walked over to the flight screens and couldn’t believe what she saw: CAIRO TO MOSCOW, FLIGHT 182: CANCELLED, that was Terri’s flight, she wouldn’t be here in time! She quickly found a restroom and opened her briefcase and pulled out here messenger. She pressed #278 and a message appeared: MY FLIGHT WAS CANCELLED, NOT STICKING AROUND TO FIND OUT WHY. COMPLETE MISSION AS TOLD. –TERRI. Amanda’s heart sank. How could she do this by herself? This is usually a walk in the park but on this walk two things were after her – her own country and something unknown.

About thirty minutes later, Amanda arrived at the Norena Trade Center. She walked to the main desk and asked, “May I speak to your head of security?”
“He’s out to lunch, sorry.”
“May I have permission to access the mainframe? I am from World’s Insurance and unless you allow me to walked through those doors, my headquarters will shut down the system and terminate your account with us.”
“Go ahead.”
“Thanks for your cooperation.”
When she got into the hallway she dropped a motion detector that would notify her watch of people coming her way. She walked into the office on her right. When she was in, she locked the door and ran over to the locked steel door. She placed a very small password scrambler upon it. The door opened, and in she ran. Suddenly the doors slammed and the computers started flashing green and scrolled across the screen SECURITY BREECH. She suddenly remembered the security alarm. The room started to fill with gasses; she suddenly got dizzy, fell, and went unconscious.

She woke up to find herself in a restrained chair. She looked up and saw a older woman wiping her face. Behind her she recognized a man known as the “Chameleon.” “Who are you? And what the hell do you want with me?” Amanda said angrily. The man replied “How dare you talk to us that way? And incase you haven’t figured it out we are your parents.” Then the lady said, “Fourteen years ago we had our deaths faked because we were double agents against the United States, we were close to being discovered so we had to be extracted, we wanted to take you but at that time they wouldn’t let us. We work for K-Directorate” Then the man asked, “Will you join us?” Amanda sat there dazed. She had a decision to make.
© Copyright 2005 Anthony Wright (crazyway18 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1037909-A-Small-World-for-Spies