*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1042106-Imagine
Rated: E · Article · Biographical · #1042106
Reflect, The Beatles, John Lennon
Imagine

December 8th 1980:
I was on the verge of flipping the covers off and stepping out of bed onto my cold hardwood floor of the cluttered bedroom I shared with my brother Sal. I was still living at home and the thought of my long trek to high school inspired me to spend the next 10 to 20 minutes listening to the radio to knock off the hazy sleep that firmly held my eyelids shut. I flipped on my old Panasonic stereo with the combined Turn table, 8 track and AM/FM. It was what was needed to be done before, breakfast, shower and the rest of the regiment of an average high school student of the 80’s.
Not sure what song was just ending but I know it was the Beatles followed by the DJ announcing that John Lennon was shot and killed.
I remember lying in stunned silence. I listened again. I was hoping my intention of a 10 to 20 minute slow wake up was still in affect; that what I heard was wrong but I was just in denial.
John Lennon was shot and killed 25 years ago today 1980.

I thought that, at my age, Lennon was an old man. Here I am today; one year older than he was and realize that his life was just beginning.

Today:
I imagine what it would be like if he was still alive.
Would the Beatles have gotten back together?
Would he have made a difference in world peace?
Would I be any different than whom I am today?

I will never know. What I do know is today I will put his songs on and reflect.

I will listen to his song Imagine and do exactly that. I will imagine a world he wanted to see.

I guess I am a dreamer just like him but I imagine I’m not the only one.
© Copyright 2005 lgserio (lgserio at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1042106-Imagine