*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1044822-Why-dontwe-hear-about-Mrs-Clause
Rated: E · Short Story · Holiday · #1044822
This is a short story about Santa and why no one talks about Mrs Clause.
Today’s version of Christmas reveals the love, care and happiness that Santa brings to all the little children on Christmas day. He gets his little elves to make the wonderful toys and feed his precious reindeers but no one ever hears about his wife. I presume that he has one called Mrs Clause. She is their to calm Santa down when things go wrong and give him company that no other elf or reindeer can give him, but what if their was No Mrs Clause. Who would Santa have to talk to; perhaps he could join up with the elf’s or even migrate to England but for now we all believe that Santa will never give up his day job in Lapland.

Early in morning in the middle of December Santa woke up listening to the reindeers bells. Yawning he got up from his rusty old brown bed and looked out of his shiny white window. Down below in the white snow and black lamppost Santa could see the Reindeers running around his small green garden. "Get away from the plants," he shouted. Scratching his beard he looked back to see his Wife Mrs Clause.
"Susanna," he cried stepping over to the other side of bed. He pulled her up onto the bed and laid the back of her pale white face on the soft, gold pillow.
Checking her pulse he tapped her wrist. Her crooked lips looked purple and dry.
"Please wake up Mrs Clause," he sobbed. Santa picked up the small silver mobile that all of elf’s had given him last year as a thankyou present for letting them stay on and then, then he dialled the doctor’s number.
"Susanna isn't waking up, I can't feel her pulse," he sobbed down the phone. Tears strayed down his face and poured onto his wife’s Clean red shirt.
"Santa, Santa," spoke a voice on the other end of the mobile phone. He dropped it onto the floor and started to hold his wife’s hand.
"Don't go, I love you," he whispered.

An hour later Santa stomped up and down the room. The doctor needed to be alone with Mrs Clause. Many of the elf’s that were not working today sat down next to the warm fireplace and they started to talk about the latest craze.
"Everyone needs to buy a Mechanical robot called Domestic double two," said the elf wearing a yellow hat.
"If it works like number one, it will kill you in eight seconds and the cop will blow it up," the tall round elf replied. Santa sat down in his red busy armchair that stood next to Mrs Clause white sofa, which had been covered in elf costumes and next to them was her famous sewing needle. As he picked it up he began to cry.
"Mrs Clause is a strong person," the small elf said and he patted him on the shoulder.
"I am not going to make the domestic robot, its too dangerous and why should we get robots to do the dirty work," said Santa. All of the elf’s sat close to him and crossed their legs.
The door swung open and the doctor came in. His sad pink face gazed down onto the rainbow carpet making Santa shake his head.
"She is, he paused to look at Santa wet beard. "She is not here anymore. I'm sorry Santa," the doctor said.
"No!" Santa shouted making the reindeers bells come to a stop.

Later that evening he Wandered over to the stable and handed a bowl full of water to the reindeers. Rudolph rubbed his weary nose against Santa’s hands. There were hardly any elf’s around as he ordered them to stop making toys.
"Oh Rudolph, I don't want to be Santa Clause. I just want to be normal like everyone else. I wish Mrs Clause were alive. She'd sit me down for tea and give me fresh mince pies to eat, we would laugh and joke until the moon was smiling and then we sang cheerful songs till we slept. I don't care about her doing the housework for I sneaked around the house at night and cleaned it up with my brush. I wish she was here," he cried stroking Rudolph.

Days went by and the elf’s hardly made any toys yet alone did Santa put up the Christmas tree and decorate it with Mrs Clause' baubles. The reindeers wandered around the town by themselves only for locales to give the meat and water to survive on. It just seemed that Santa had given up on Christmas altogether until one night and that was Christmas Eve.
He was sleeping in his armchair, the fire had gone out making it impossible for anyone to see where they were going and then a thick cloud of mist fall down the chimney and onto the cold embers making them light. Santa shivered and opened his eyes.
"Who's there? Go away I'm sleeping," he yelled and the thick cloud of mist turned into Mrs Clause.
"Susanna, your back," he sighed. As he stood up she put her hands on her hips and frowned.
"Santa Clause, you are a naughty person. How can you let children go without presents? You should be packing your presents into the sleigh and in an hour you will be going to deliver the presents. Get a move on," she mumbled. He shook his head. He went to grab her arm only to realise that he was falling. He couldn't stop himself and he landed on his furry knees.
"I can't do Christmas anymore, not since you've gone," Santa said.
"You have to give the children their presents that they want. We use to be a team and we can be. Just go and finish making the toys," Mrs Clause spoke. She lay on the sofa, picked up the needle and she began to sew the empty, green stocking. Santa slumped back in his chair and watched her cast of the stitches. She hung the stocking next to the lit fireplace and smiled.
"Four more to do and then I can put them in your sleigh," she spoke making Santa laugh.
"Yes, I will tell the workers to carry on making the toys. We can get it done by eight," he said and left the building.

It was four 'o' clock when Santa came back. He dropped his empty sacks and walked into the dark bedroom. There in front of his eyes was Mrs Clause lying in bed. He quickly put his white pyjamas on and got into bed. Her face was not pale any more; her eyes kept winking toward the white mists that starred at her and Santa.
"Please don't leave me. I love you," he whispered.
"I will always be in your heart," she spoke. He grabbed hold of Mrs Clause right arm, picked it up and kissed her hand.
"Please don't go Susanna. You made our day and Christmas has come for everyone. I can not enjoy that day," he pleaded for her spirit to stay.
"I will always be there for you," she said and the mist grew over her body. Santa began to cough and as soon as he turned the crystal lamp on, she had vanished. He closed his eyes in disbelief.
"Santa, Santa wake up, Its Susanna," Cried a young girls voice. Waking up he could see the little girl dressed in green.
"Ouch," he mumbled as she pulled his beard. He raised himself up against the soft green headboard and in the girl’s hands was a small present wrapped in silver paper with his name on.
"Susanna left this for you. I saw her granddad," the little girl replied. He took it off her, unwrapped the present and glared at the gold picture frame.
"Thankyou Susanna," he whispered and the little girl jumped off the bed.
"Granddad, are you still going to be farther Christmas?" his granddaughter asked him.
He rubbed his hand over his wife face that lay in the frame.
"Yes, Santa will be here for three years and then your daddy can take over," he cried.
"You aren't going to go away," his granddaughter protested folding her arms.
"Oh, no. I will retire and enjoy my life long hobbies. Off course I will help your dad navigate the globe but it will be time for him to become Santa," he replied.
"Dady, Dady. Guess what we are going to have Christmas gain," the girl shouted running out of the room.
"Merry Christmas Mrs Clause," He laughed and kissed the picture. He knew that Christmas will be around for many years to come and that Mrs Clause was still there with him.
© Copyright 2005 jezzabell krome (jezzy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1044822-Why-dontwe-hear-about-Mrs-Clause