*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1045188-the-new-yesterday
Rated: E · Other · Arts · #1045188
a rant about modern fashion and the american public
Ever since i was little, i wanted to be known for something creative. I tried acting, but that didnt work due to my short attention span. I tried playing music, but i couldnt read sheet music to save my soul. I even tried going into cosmetology, but my teacher thought i was too avante garde to work anywhere especially her classroom. So one day while working with my high school theatre teacher (thank you mr n.!)on costumes for our school play i decided to become a fashion designer.
I designed the costumes for the rest of the plays for senior year and when it came down to gradutation, i ran from the school screaming. I had several retail jobs, including management positions. I was bored with selling normal things. I settled down with a man who brough back my creativity and pushed me to follow my long lost and forgotten dream of fashion. As i found out over the past few years i found my strongpoints writing and fashion. I figure that why not combine them both? One thing i have noticed since ive been studying fashion at school is that no matter who you are, your clothes define you. The saying clothes make the man is definitely true in all cases. Im trying to break that mold.
Another thing ive noticed is that people as a whole are naturally vain.Vanity is the motivating force in everything we do. For instance, we wear designer clothes to school to impress johnny football hero. Or we wear high heel shoes and even higher skirts to seperate ourselves from all the other women that we consider competition. I dont think that clothes should be that defining in modern society. People are judged by what they wear. If you dress a millionaire in a bums clothing then most people would think he was a bum right? Ive been judged as a bad mom because i have very visible tattoos, but i am just as good if not better than the next mom because my children dont know prejudice.
My personal style is very eclectic. I love skirts with band t shirts, my favorite jeans and my cardigan that has a death eaters button(which is the soon to be home for my i love hentai button). I love the fashions of the fifties. They are flattering to those of us with shapely bodies. The pinups of that era are much more tasteful and real than the models of today. Everytime i see a model nowadays i want to throw her some of my grandmas fried chicken. I think that beauty is on the inside and when that shows through to the outside you have outer beauty.
Lately, ive been studying japanese street fashion and i prefer it to any other type of fashion in the world. The colors are brighter and the silhouettes are more bold. The people are more expressive with themselves. When i go forth into the world i want to design clothes that have a japanese street fashion with an indie rock flair.
So i guess this is wheer i explain what ive written or something like that. Basically people are vain and judgemental no matter waht you wear.Go out wear what feels good and and when someone tells you that you cant dress like that or that your weird, remember this. it takes more muscles to frown than to extend your middle finger!
© Copyright 2005 miss bettie (newbecomesold at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1045188-the-new-yesterday