*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1045316-The-Wonder-of-Christmas
Rated: E · Essay · Family · #1045316
Mary knew only that her's was the greatest honor a woman could have...
The pains started as they were climbing the hill to the city, and Mary closed her eyes, not wishing to distract Joseph. The road was well worn, but there were missteps that a donkey could make, causing a bone jarring that would make both her and the baby to be in pain.

They had been forced to come to the city, and with it so close to her time of confinement, Joseph did not want to leave her behind. There had already been enough whispered, enough said about the fact that she had become large with child before their official wedding.

He'd had his own doubts, and had confided them to her after receiving a vision of his own. After that visitation from a glorious angel, he had admitted to her that he'd been full of doubts – in fact had been ready to set her aside privately so that her shame would not be widely known. Mary had known at that point that her husband was a kind and generous man, and she would always love him.

Ever since her own amazing visit from the angel Gabriel, life had seemed to take on a surreal feeling. She wasn't sure she was awake - everything seemed like a dream. She hadn't minded very much the villager’s reactions - she would have felt the same had this not been happening to her. Who would hold their head up knowing that they hadn't formally been married and were found with child? Such a thing was not right, and would have some disastrous outcomes, but her husband had proven faithful and true - her life was safe as was her child. The child.

She put a hand on top of the large ball that was her stomach, feeling the soft movements inside that coincided with another labor pain which rippled like waves through her skin. She closed her eyes and pictured the angel with his glorious message, feeling the pain ease with the memory. How amazing that she would be chosen as the Handmaiden of the Lord! The angel had declaired she, a virgin - was to be the mother of the Son of God! The Virgin Mother of The Messiah! What had she done to deserve this honor? Such great honor bestowed on her and her husband. Her family didn't know if they believed or not, but they had agreed to send her to her cousin to wait out the majority of her time.

Elizabeth had been like fresh water in a barren desert. And to add on top of that, Elizabeth had been blessed with her own honor and glory. She was carrying the prophet to come before the Messiah! How great was the blessing on their house! Their names would be praised for ever and their children would surely rise up to praise God forever!

Her visit had been the reason for much joy to both her and Elizabeth. Her pregnancy had been going well, but her husband had lost his voice due to his doubts, and though he could not communicate - joy was on his countenance as he received Mary and beheld her state. The babies had rejoiced together within the wombs and caused both women to cry in happiness. How had the Lord blessed them so? How could they ever be worthy?

It had been continual singing and praying of thanks and rejoicing in the blessings that were theirs.


Now as she watched the lights of Bethlehem in the coming dusk, she wondered how she was going to do this alone. She had thought they would be back before her time. The thought of going through this without her mother and sisters to attend her was a frightening thought. They didn't know anyone in Bethlehem. Her husband's family may be from there, but no one lived here any longer.

A new, stronger pain caused a slight moan to escape her lips, and Joseph looked back at her in concern.

"Are you feeling pain, Mary?"

She chewed on her lips, pondering how she should answer him. Honesty had always been the right way, it would be so now. "Yes, my husband. My time has come."

He stopped on the road, startled at her words. "Now?"

She nodded, smiling at the panic on his face. He had been worried this very thing would happen, but there was nothing for it - they were commanded to travel for the taxing.

"I will see what I can find," he assured her as they proceeded forth to the city gates and entered in. There were many inns, but as everyone had been ordered to their city of birth, it was very crowded. He left Mary on the donkey a few steps from the door of the last inn on the street, the night encroaching on quickening wings of darkness. Unfortunately, he was soon back, and it was the same at every inn they had tried.

“There just isn’t any rooms,” he said, his voice tight with anxiety. What were they to do?
He started leading the donkey away, thinking he might have missed an inn that was more hidden at the end of the street when a young boy came and stopped them.

“My master says you can have the stable,” he gasped, having run as quickly as possible. “The stable is down a few steps that way.”

Joseph turned to his wife, seeing her pale face glistening with drops of sweat in the cool evening. She couldn’t handle much more of this – he had to get her somewhere. A stable was better than the open night. “Thank you,” he said, turning to the boy. “We will follow you.”

Soon he had her laying on a clean blanket on a bed of fresh hay. There was a manger nearby which he figured would end up being the baby’s bed, and he draped another blanket on it to have it in readiness. The young boy had been sent back for water and food – their food was almost gone and they would need more water than what they had left for drinking.

Mary felt as if her insides were tearing themselves apart. She knew giving birth was not an easy thing, but never had she known to what extent it would be. However, she felt hovering spirits, almost as if angels were ministering unto her, easing the worst of her pains. Before she knew it, her newborn son was laying in her arms, her husband washing his face and head with soft gentle strokes of a clean damp cloth.

“We have a son, my husband,” she said softly, worn out and exhausted by the experience.

“We do, my wife,” was the soft reply. “He is born.”

They gazed at the small boy which held their futures in His hands, amazed that he could be so small and yet perfect in every way. He opened his eyes and gazed at them with a seeminly knowing gaze before starting to cry softly.

“He is a hungry child,” Joseph said with an amused smile as Mary started nursing him.

“That is a good thing,” she agreed.

After everything had been cleaned and Mary settled with the baby nearby for the night, there came a rustling at the entrance to the cave which served as their room. Startled, Joseph went to see who was there, and came back with an amazed look on his face.

“They come to worship the baby,” he whispered to his sleepy wife. “Will you allow it?”

Mary nodded, recognizing that the joyous celebration had begun – the angels had started spreading the word that the Son of God had been born.

Several shepherds had come, carrying with them some of their sheep. They were humble and grateful, saying nothing - only gazing in wonder and awe at the newborn child. Mary said nothing in return, and yet they all felt as if much was said in spirit. The small stable was full of love and peace and joy.



Far, far away from that small city in Judea, three men who had studied long and hard the stars and their meaning - stared with stunned awe at the new star in their sights. Long had they been told that the Son of God would be born to save men from sin, and that when he was born a new star would appear, leading them to worship him. They had wondered if it would happen in their lifetime, and while they had wondered, they had prepared. Now all was in readiness, and they gazed with amazement, seeing their dreams about to come true. Such an honor, such a moment! They stared at each other before bursting forth in praises to God and in joyous celebration. Before daylight they were on their camels, traveling to the west. They knew the journey would be long – it took them almost three years to have the star lead them to Bethlehem.

They chose to honor the king of the land and discover if he had already given his worship to the baby. To their dismay, he did not know of the child, and asked that they give him word when they found him.

They soon found the child, walking with the hand of his mother in a small home while the father earned money for their keep making things of wood. They had knelt in humble reverence, their gifts laid at her feet. The child smiled at them, insisting on touching each of them in a simple caress on their cheeks. They felt such love at that moment that it overpowered all else - the joy they had known before was doubled.

As they readied to leave, they had their own visitation - advising them to go another way to their homes. Life was not safe for those who sought the King of Kings. They traveled in joyous singing of praise and thankfulness to the Lord who loved them all to send His Son.

Each year we are given the chance to think of his birth as something more than an event. It is a glorious time which gives men hope and helps spread love and kindness in a world where much of it is filled with hopelessness and doubt. One can almost hear the angels on a clear crisp winter night singing: Glory to God, glory to God in the highest. Peace on earth, good will toward men.

May yours be the most wonderful celebration of his life and gift to us. Merry Christmas.
© Copyright 2005 spazmom (eternalheart at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1045316-The-Wonder-of-Christmas