*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1045712-Santa-suprises-Kate-Marie
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1045712
Chirstmas story about a young mother.

In the Dark, warm and cosy living room, Kate Marie and her two children sat on the floor waiting for someone special to come and deliver their presents. They were the kindest kids that anyone could meet and always helped out with the house hold chores but their Mother, Kate Marie would not take them round to their friends, yet even invite the little boys best friend over to stay. She didn't want to help the locals with buying decorations for the tree or even help out an old friend. She was too selfish to think about anyone else and when Samuel got in trouble at school, she causes a massive row that made the town look unhappy. Melissa who was Samuels Sister went over to her friends without her mother knowing and when she found out, poor little Melissa had no one to turn to.
"Mummy, when is Santa coming? It is midnight," Melissa who's eyes were blinking at the falling snowflakes.
"Soon!" Kate Marie sighed.
"Mummy, Can we speak to Santa?" Samuel asked her.
"Santa won't have time for you; and you know that he has to fly around the world to deliver Christmas presents. That is why you went to see Santa in his grotto earlier this month. He knows what you really want and he will get it for you,” Kate Marie replied.
"I am going to say hello to Santa," Samuel spoke running out of the room.

Minutes later he came back with a note in his hand. It looked like he was crying. Kate Marie picked him up, walked over to the sofa and sat him down. Melissa followed them and she too sat down next to Samuel.
"Santa's not coming; he says you have been naughty again. He knows what you have done again for the fifth year and now he isn't going to come to our town," he sobbed. Kate Marie grabbed hold of the note from Santa, she carefully read it and then she dropped it onto the floor. She could hear the reindeer’s bells ringing in the distance.
"Wait here kids," she said.

As she got out of the house and into the snow, Kate Marie noticed the reindeer’s footprint. She began to sprint as fast as she could only making herself feel worse she had to stop. The cold snow made her breath very fast and up in the sky were the nine reindeers flying away from her. "Santa, Come back. I'm Sorry," she yelled watching them disappear into the sky. Kate Marie fell onto her knees making the snowbrush up her pyjamas.
"Mummy, Mummy why are you crying?" Melissa asked. Kate Marie stood up watching the houses near by, light up with door opening she wanted to run away. All of them knew that they were not going to enjoy Christmas day and seeing all of the sad faces around town was very upsetting.
"I will make Santa come to our town," Samuel shouted. Kate Marie glanced at the nodding heads that had turned away from her; she walked up to the bare Christmas tree, hoping that it might give her an idea to get Santa back and then she smiled.
"Lets decorate the Christmas tree, have an outdoor party and sing Carols. Samuel can you get our decorations and Melissa- I want you to ask the neighbours and your friends to come," Kate Marie ordered. Samuel and Melissa shook their head in disapproval.
"Mummy did bad things, not us," they spoke aloud. Kate Marie huffed, turned round and walked back into her house.

Half an hour later Kate Marie walked into the stormy snow; in each hand were many baubles covered in red and green glitter with fairy lights, a lead that trailed along the ground and around her neck was silver tinsel. Finally she took the remaining lights off the window ledge and placed them next to the Christmas tree.
"I know that I haven't been a good mother to you. I'm sorry," she whispered to her children who were helping her to put up the decorations. She strode over the pavement to reach her next-door neighbours house. Knocking she heard the dogs bark which made her jump back and the door opened.
"Peter and Jessica can come for Christmas party. I'm hosting a party next to the tree. All of you can come and enjoy singing Christmas carols," Kate Marie stuttered pointing toward the tree. He slammed the door and she went to the house opposite the side of the road.
Still she had no one who wanted to be festive and now she was ready to give up.
"I will do that," she shouted watching Samuel pick up the fairy lights.

Their wasn't a soul around, everywhere was dull and quiet. Kate Marie began to make a snowman with her two children. Both of them were laughing and smiling but still their friends would not come out to play with them.
"I don't think that Santa is going to come. When the New Year is over, we will have to find another town to live in," Kate Marie said,
"Mum, we don’t want to move," Melissa grumbled.
Kate Marie Knew that the town wasn't going to like her anymore than she was liked before the rows and now she was ready to go to bed.
"Look, someone’s coming to our Christmas party," Samuel screeched pointing at a frail figure. Kate watched the frail figure come closer; it was an old woman dressed in a thin grey coat. Her face looked white and as she approached them Kate Marie ran up to her.

"Where is the star, you need a star," an old woman spoke giving her a huge star. Kate Marie glared at the tall tree.
"I can't climb that, its too dangerous," she protested. The old woman hobbled towards the tree and her walking stick fell onto the ground. Kate Marie dashed under the old woman’s arms to stop her from smashing into the snow
"I'll take you home," she mumbled.

Venturing into the old womans home, Kate Marie lit the coal fire and watched the flames burn. The old woman sat in her rotting rocking Chair.
The living room walls were stricken with damp patches; the white wallpaper was peeling off the bottom of the walls and the frozen window had a nasty crack that trailed all the way up to the ceiling.
"You can not live like this. Its cold and nasty," Kate Marie spoke.
"I don't have any money to spare,"
"Wait a second. I can help you to redecorate, replace the windows and even get my brother to fit a new boiler" she paused tapping her feet on the wooden floor. " You can get central heating, you don't have to pay,” Kate Marie explained that it was vital to keep warm in winter and how much life meant to her, even watching her own children grow up was a something special to her.
"Where is your farther?" the old woman asked.
"What’s your name?" Kate needed to know.
"Annabel," she replied.
"Where is your farther?" Annabel asked her again.
"He left when I was pregnant with Adams Children. I never plucked up the courage to leave until he hurt me and my farther ran away. My mum had an afair with my boyfriend. My dad was so kind to me," Kate cried.
"Now, their duck; you see that phone on the table, pick it up and ring your brother. He will be glad to see you again and don't forget to ask him to put my boiler in," the old woman croaked. Kate Marie glared at the frozen window.
"Melissa and Samuel are staying at Pete's tonight. I think he took pity on me," Kate Marie spoke. The old woman closed her eyes and Said
"He loves you for helping people like me, many of them do in this town. My son will be here soon," the old woman sighed.
"I will stay until he comes," Kate Marie sighed knowing that Christmas would never come again.

After a long journey home from the neighbouring town, Kate Marie felt tired; walking around the Christmas tree she saw a shadow behind her. It was tall and round with a podgy stomach that almost resembled as Santa. Turning round she smiled.
"Dad," she cried running up to him.
"Santa told me where you lived. I had to find you," he spoke patting her back. Kate Marie Stood back, wiped her forehead with her left hand and yawned.
"Santa came to town after you left to take the old woman home. He was waiting for you to make amends," Her dad laughed.
"I will never become selfish again; nor argue or even be mean to everyone. Merry Christmas," she sighed and Melissa ran towards her with Samuel holding a soft toy.
"Santa gave us a toy dog. We named him Bob," Samuel shouted in excitement.
"Samuel, Melissa, this is your granddad," Kate Marie said.
"Granddad," they cried for joy.
Kate Marie had learnt her lesson, from now on, she promised herself never to get into trouble as once again their might never be Christmas again. She loved seeing her own children smile and the rest of the town made piece with her.






--The End--


© Copyright 2005 jezzabell krome (jezzy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1045712-Santa-suprises-Kate-Marie