*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1046215-Chapter-One-fantasy-story
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Draft · Fantasy · #1046215
i wrote this years ago. i was 16 or so.
CHAPTER ONE

The winter night was unusually cold and a milky half moon hung in the sky. A ghostly white mist floated on the damp sand. Nearby, the constant sound of waves could be heard. The swash of seawater licked the beach before retreating into the sea, leaving behind liquid foam. The wind howled and lifted dead leaves and fine particles of sand into mid air. Naked branches reached to the stars like bony fingers. The surroundings appeared lifeless as if frozen with cold. It was the perfect background for a nightmare except that hidden in the darkness was a being that seemed to have emerged right from a dream. Among the tall trees, that lined the stretch of coast stood an oddly shaped lodge. It was the only sign of life in the area. The ceiling of the small building was a translucent dome which let a white radiance escape. The dazzling light bathed the lodge making it glow with a calm lustre.

In the front yard of the lodge lay beach armchairs, towels and a large orange kite which reflected the light form the dome. Concrete slabs ran from the expanse of trees to the front steps. The steps led to a large veranda where small colourful lanterns hung. Wide window panes exposed the lavish and classical furniture of the lodge. A sudden gust of spine-chilling wind made a shadow move on the veranda. Something had been disturbed by the cold. The blankets on the large porch swing shifted. An object fell from the swing; a book whose cover read ‘Guide To Sharian Mythology’. The blanket slid down from the stunning beauty of a creature. The creature belonged to a race of beings that were sometimes worshipped and sometimes feared by those who knew little about them. They were regarded with awe and respect by other less intelligent species.

Long, dark eyelashes fluttered to reveal glassy green eyes. They sparkled faintly, like clear pools of glittering sea water. The creature was a female Jalva, also called a miyel. The miyel pushed the blanket and walked to the porch steps. She stretched her arms and bent her numb knees. She rubbed a hand on the nape of her delicate aching neck and lifted her gaze to the sky. The stars were sprinkled over the black sky like bright spots on a dark painting. Another gust of wind made her shiver and raked the strands of blue hair from her face. The hair uncovered long pointed ears.

The miyel went down another two steps and paused. She then unfolded splendid wide wings from the middle of her back and stretched them to full span. They were tinted with the blue of the clearest sapphires. The light from the dome danced on the wings and they glittered like the scales of a colourful fish. The miyel batted her wide wings absently to ease the numb sensation, still gazing at the sky. Sighing, she folded them back neatly underneath her long glossy hair. The wings nearly disappeared beneath the whole mass of the miyel’s deep blue hair. The fine silky strands swayed in the wind. Her hair flowed past her waist like a waterfall.
Another wave of cold hit her and a shiver ran up her spine. She decided to go back inside the warm lodge. She pressed the palm of her hand on a large round button on the door. After a faint beep the door slid open and closed behind her once she had stepped on the soft carpet covering the floor. She pushed some buttons on a wall to lock the doors and turn off the light. Then, she made her way past the comfortable furniture, up the stairs and to a bedroom. She paused at the bathroom to change and lazily plopped into the spongy bed. Soon, she was warm and fast asleep.
As soon as she had drowned into sleep, she was transported into a swirl of images. She was no longer in a bed but lying in the grass of what seemed to be a garden. The sky above was impeccably blue. Fluffy white clouds drifted across lazily. Above the miyel was an enormous old tree. The branches reached high up in the air as if to trap clouds between their leaves. The Jalva slowly sat up and scanned the bright, sunny place around her. She was alone. Flowers were scattered here and there in the lawn. Somehow she instantly knew she was expecting someone. She had to meet someone and it was an important person.

A gentle breeze swept her magnificent hair off her shoulders. Her hair fell to her lower back like a silken curtain. The miyel stood to face the tree. It looked strangely familiar to her. She circled the tree and instantly knew she would find a big fat branch directly above her. She had to wait for that someone to come and the tree was their meeting place. She had always loved sitting trees, she decided that she should just as well settle on the branch and wait for that person up there. Birds were chirping innocently in the higher branches. In the wink of an eye, she spread her wide crystal-like wings, to full span and took off to land gracefully on the chosen branch. The miyel neatly folded her wings and sighed. She sat down and dangled her slender legs into nothingness. From where she was she could see an infinite stretch of grass and some other isolated trees. Everything was blurry and peaceful. That someone she was waiting for was late. She leaned against the old tree trunk and lazily toyed with a strand of her hair. Suddenly she heard leaves shaking and wings flapping frantically. The birds were flying off in all directions. They had been scared by something. The miyel jumped to her feet, wondering what might have scared the birds. She repressed the urge to instinctively spread her wings. It was probably just a monkey, which had somehow climbed into the tree. She scrutinized the dense leaves around her, trying to catch any sounds. Everything was calm again. Just as she was shaking her head for worrying so much, her branch began to shake violently.

This time the miyel was caught off guard. Her wings remained closed for she didn’t have time to spread them properly. Startled, she lost her balance and fell off the branch. Just as she thought she would crash on the ground and become history, strong arms swiftly caught her by the waist and pulled her back onto branch. Magnificent wings were beating in the air and bumping into leaves. They finally folded as the other creature landed beside the fairy, laughing heartily. The miyel turned around and jumped in shock when her face bumped into a muscular chest. She looked up with astounded eyes at the other Jalva’s face.

It was a male Jalva, also called a sylph. He was as beautiful as the female one except that he was twice her size. His gestures that were uniquely his own were nothing else than graceful. His mane of milky lavender hair reached the middle of his proudly arched back. Smiling silver eyes gazed amusingly at the miyel. The rays of the sun shone on his hair and suddenly it seemed like the surroundings became even more blurry. The miyel could hardly see anything behind the sylph. Every shape and colour was melting into a single sea of mingled colours. Only their tree still stood, old and proud, supporting the weight of both Jalva’s.
The sylph had a body that could make any miyel sigh. He was a perfect vision, almost too beautiful to be real. He was very tall and well built. Large sensual hands ran through his smooth lilac hair. He smiled radiantly at the miyel.

“I should have known it was you.” The miyel was fuming. She sat down and crossed her arms. “You’re always up to no good.” She glanced angrily at the sylph. “Get that stupid grin off your face, Frost. You already act like a monkey, don’t start looking like one.”
The remark only made the sylph laugh again. “Hello Emerald dear. I’m glad to see you too.” Frost chuckled and sat down beside Emerald who immediately tried to ignore him by looking away. “Well, since you’re asking me. I’m just fine,, thank you. No, my wings are not numb from flying all the way here to find you. I’m alright really, you don’t have to worry.”
“Drop it Frost.” Emerald snapped, but then she couldn’t repress a smile.
Frost gently put an arm around her and whispered to her. “Emy.”
On hearing her nick name Emerald turned to lock her gaze into the handsome Jalva’s eyes.
Frost pulled her closer and Emerald let herself sag against his robust chest. His arms enfolded around her.

His hand went to gently stroke her hair. “Why don’t you come back now. You’ve been away long enough. Everyone is worried. We’re looking for you like mad all over the place.”
Frost kissed Emerald’s hair and his tone softened. “I don’t like it when you’re away for so long. I mean away from me and the gang. We get bored when you’re not around.”
Emerald moved to lean her back against Frost’s chest but still remained silent. She took one of Frost’s large hands and toyed with his fingers.
Frost went on. “Come on, Emy. Let’s go back. Will you come with me?”
Emerald turned and simply nodded. They both stood and prepared to take off. Frost jumped first and hovered a sort distance away. After a second of hesitation, Emerald followed. They both flew side by side upwards. They went higher and higher still towards the sun. Normally, it would be suicidal to fly so high, but they kept on going.

The white light of the sun was blinding them until Emerald could see nothing but the white light. Frost was gone. The garden was gone. The old tree was gone. Everything, everywhere, was white. Suddenly her head hit something hard. She was trapped in something she was struggling to get out of. Her heart was racing and she was suddenly hearing an insistent noise, which was booming like thunder. Her eyes flew open and she sat up, panting. The bed sheets were enveloped around her and she felt a sharp pain on the top of her head. The noise went on, aggravating her head ache. She jerked the white sheet off her head and rubbed the painful spot. She had bumped her head against the headboard of the bed. Her hair was a mess of entangled strands. She scanned the room to locate the source of the exasperating noise and found it. At the far end of the room was a sliding glass door that led to the balcony. A blonde head was peeking through a gap in the curtains. Another head popped beside the blonde one. The two of them were knocking on the door as if they wanted to break it open. If the faces weren’t familiar Emerald would have been worried, but instead she smiled with sleepy eyes and waved.

The knocking stopped. They must have flown up to the balcony for Emerald had locked the all the doors the previous night.
Emerald pushed off the blanket and lazily pulled herself out of bed. She went to open the door, trying desperately to smooth her hair. As soon as she unlocked the door, an angry miyel stormed in, with her red curls bouncing around her face. She was followed by a sylph with drowsy eyes. The other miyel glared harshly at Emerald.
“You surely took your time, sleeping beauty.”
“Hi, Bliss. I’m sorry but I wasn’t expecting you two.” Emerald was rubbing her eyes, she wasn’t quite awake yet. The sylph fondly wrapped an arm around Emerald’s shoulders and smiled down at her.
“It’s alright, babe. Just tell me what’s wrong with you. How have you been surviving out here, cousin?”
Emerald looked up at her blue eyed, blonde cousin.
“I’m fine Jade, and don’t call me babe. So, what’s up with you two? What are you doing here?”
Bliss settled in an arm chair and crossed her legs. The legs, which many sylphs drooled over. She was one attractive miyel, no doubt about that. Emerald had known Bliss forever. Her long-time friend straightened the fringed hem of her green skirt. As usual the skirt was close fitting and barely touched her knees. Her waist and pierced navel showed. Her blouse was held by a tight knot above her navel. She was dressed in the latest fashion, or it was possible that she was trying to launch a new trend. It was her hobby and she was good at it. She twirled one of her rich curls onto a long finger. Her nails were regularly manicured and varnished. This time she had chosen nacre-green varnish to match with her clothes. Her fiery red eyes were ablaze.
“The question is; what are you doing in this old shack? Look at you, Emy. You look like you’ve met a cyclone. We’re here to bring you back to your senses.” Bliss stood and pushed Emerald into the bathroom in front of a mirror. Bliss was always straight-talking and honest.
Emerald winced at the sight of her horribly tousled hair and her bloodshot eyes. It would take hours to get her hair to look decent again. Jade indifferently followed them, looking around. Bliss extended her hand.
“Jade, bring me that brush, will you?”
Jade handed her the brush and Bliss immediately went to work on Emerald hair. Jade explored the bathroom cupboards that were almost empty except for a few bottles of massage oils and some shampoo. Bliss was methodically applying energetic brush strokes to the long strands of blue hair. She was careless of Emerald’s protests. Emerald pushed thick strands of hair from her eyes and glanced at her cousin.
“Would you mind fixing me a bath, Jade?”
“I wouldn’t mind, princess.” Jade sounded like he had just woken up. He yawned and went to turn on the taps. Emerald frowned at Jade’s reflection in the large spotless mirror.
“Did you spend the night partying again? You look hazy.” Emerald was reproachful.
“Why don’t you tell her Bliss?” Jade was testing the water temperature with his the finger. He preferred to leave the matter to Bliss.
“Emy? Didn’t you forget to do some task yesterday? Like, I don’t know, maybe shake some hands or greeting some strangers?” Emerald frowned.
“What are you talking about?”
“Well, her Highness, the Princess, should know that some of her humble subjects did not sleep last night. They were attending a very important charity meeting.” Bliss had a mocking official tone.

It was obvious that she was mad at Emerald for not being there. Emerald’s shoulders sagged at the mention of the dinner. Bliss went on. “And some particular young people, who I believe, are your friends, were busy greeting guests and talking rubbish all evening, through the dinner and well after midnight.” Bliss paused to catch her breath. “On top of that we had to wake up earlier than we wanted because your dear mother had called for us. She wanted us to go and look for you. And here we are, preparing your royal bath and untangling your royal hair.”
Bliss finally stopped and breathed in deeply. She shook her head and made Emerald wince with another painful brush stroke. Jade stood with knowing eyes, and gazed down at Emerald, waiting for a response or maybe even an apology.

Emerald stared at her reflection, and felt a stab of guilt. The charity dinner had been planned three months earlier. Emerald herself had started it all. It had been her idea to organise a meeting in order to collect funds and help disabled youngsters. She had invited many potential donators, and she hadn’t even showed up last night. She didn’t know what was wrong with her. She had completely forgotten about it. She remembered having the strange feeling of forgetting something while going to bed the previous night. Now she knew what she had forgotten; an important event, where there were important people, who had important businesses and important bank accounts. She suddenly felt tears welling up in her eyes.
“You mean it was last night? Oh, no! I’m dead.” She felt very stupid, right then. She had let everyone down, because she selfishly wanted to be by herself, in her quiet summer lodge. She tried desperately to fight the tears back. Emerald leaned over the cream-coloured marble basin, wisps of her hair escaped from Bliss’s hands fell on Emerald’s face and shoulders. Emerald slowly shook her head.

“Emy. We managed all the guests as best as we could, but everyone noticed your absence. They kept glancing at your empty seat. We took turns presenting the project. Your mother did most of it. And your mother is mad. She had to apologize for you. We had to say that you were sick.” Jade approached her. He was suddenly very much awake. “Please don’t tell me it just slipped your mind.”
“No, I won’t tell you that I forgot cuz, you already know that.” Emerald looked at Jade’s reflection with miserable eyes. “I’ll just tell you that I’m awfully sorry. I don’t know what’s happening to me. I think I should see of those psychic healers. I’m really sorry I let you down. I don’t think I’ll ever forgive myself for not being there. It could have been a disaster.” A thought hit her mind. “Do we still get the money?” she was anxious.
“Not as much as we expected but yes, we do have the donations. I think that if you were there they would have been more convinced.”
She blinked and a single big tear overflowed from her right eye and slid down the beautiful face. Bliss stopped brushing and let go of Emerald’s hair.
“Yeah, I think so too. Most of these miyels have sons to marry and they all expected to meet a potential daughter-in-law. You know, the sort of miyel, they would be proud to have in their family. I mean, young, pretty, smart, enterprising, not to mention rich. Anyway, last night was last night. Now, just think of today.”

As always Bliss exposed the hidden truth, she simply shrugged and went to look for shampoo.
Jade, being always sensitive to Emerald came to stand behind her. He placed his large hands on her shoulders and pressed his cheek against hers. Jade was rather cute but he didn’t care one bit about the way he looked. His pale hair was shaggy and badly needed a clean cut. His worn out sweater was at least two years old and was grey from countless washings. His light brown slacks were just as deplorable, he had written incomprehensible words on it with a black marker and it now looked like a tattered note book. Finally, the only decent things he was wearing were his new shoes.

Jade had a way about him that was carefree and relaxed. He was Emerald’s favourite cousin. As a child, when she was around ten and Jade was twelve, Emerald had made plans to marry him and Jade wanted a blonde, green-eyed daughter from her. Sometimes they laughed together whenever their childhood memories resurfaced. But at that precise moment, Emerald wanted to scream rather than laugh. She hadn’t been there, when the first sylph she ever had a crush on, was counting on her. They were looking at each other’s reflections.
“Listen Emy.” Jade’s tone had softened. “I’m not saying that it was alright for you to let us handle everything in your place. But, since you’ve mentioned it, I know a very good psychic healer. So, if you really want to see one. Let me know.”
Emerald managed to smile at the tease. Bliss came back with a bottle of shampoo and handed it to Emerald.
“I’ll handle the remaining knots after your bath.” She walked towards the door. “Jade I’m starving. Come and help me fix breakfast. You know how I hate eating alone. And Emy, you come down as soon as you finish. We’ve got to talk.”

Whenever Bliss said that they had to talk, it had to be serious. Jade closed the door behind him after winking at Emerald, his princess. Emerald stepped into the bath and suddenly remembered the strange dream of last night. The dream she had, when she was supposed to be talking to snob aristocrats and making them feel sorry for disabled Jalvas. She relaxed in the tub and smiled at the thought of Frost. Then her eyes darkened. Frost had certainly gone to the charity dinner, while she was in bed, dreaming of him.
© Copyright 2005 Andromeda (andromeda at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1046215-Chapter-One-fantasy-story