*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1048292-The-Real-Life-Cookie-Monster
Rated: E · Short Story · Food/Cooking · #1048292
Jeffrey dispenses advice to his nursery school buddy after earning his own reward.
As a busy mom with a very active three-year-old son, I was having a problem getting Jeffrey to stop long enough to eat. He loved to snack on raisin bread, and was really fond of chocolate chip cookies and milk, but he largely ignored the rest of the food pyramid. Over the past few months, by reinforcing good eating habits, along with a change in nursery schools Jeffrey was making progress in eating most, if not all, of his sandwich at lunch, and a healthful portion of meat and a vegetable for dinner.

When our nearby supermarket opened an in-store bakery, I bought several large chocolate chip cookies as an extra treat, a reward, and yes, I must admit, something of a bribe to keep Jeffrey on this new healthy behavior track.

The next day, when the teachers were helping the children with their lunches, Mrs. Bedford pulled out Jeffrey’s sandwich and opened up his drink box. “Oh, Jeffrey, what is this?” she asked as she pulled out the cookie to which I had attached a crudely-drawn smiley face. (I’m no artist but I wanted to encourage his good behavior!). “Wow! I guess you’re getting a big prize if you finish all the rest of your lunch!”

Nicholas, sitting next to Jeffrey, eyed the cookie longingly. “Jeffrey, can I have some of your cookie?”

Without saying a word, Jeffrey leaned towards Nicholas, and in his best “I’m your best buddy” attitude, smiled and then answered, “No, but if you eat your whole sandwich and eat your supper, you can ask your mom to go to the grocery store and buy the cookies there.”
© Copyright 2005 PENsive is Meemaw x 3! (donnal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1048292-The-Real-Life-Cookie-Monster