*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1051806-Color-Kitty
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1051806
Tammie was a cat with a difference. She could change color. Other things could change too.
The sun was almost straight overhead. A few white puffy clouds were in the sky. It was hot since there was no breeze.
The farm was abandoned. No one was around. Tammie was young and had never seen anyone at the farm. There were no animals either, they had all left as well, except for the other cats.
Tammie, was a little kitten, but one with a difference. Because of the difference, other kittens and cats did not want to have anything to do with her. They kept telling her she was different and they would not allow her to be around them. You see, Tammie could change color. Usually, she was white and black, but depending on how she felt, her color would change.
Right now, her color was blue. She was lonely and no one would play with her. She wanted so to be able to be with the others. She sat in the shade of an old table and just felt so lonely.
Tammie had another difference that only she knew. To the rest of the cats, she was Tom, a male. She didn't really understand it, but in her mind, she knew she was Tammie. This made her very uncomfortable around the others. Since they had all left, it was no longer an issue except to her alone.
Tammie jumped when she heard a noise on the other side of the barn. One she had never heard before and loud too.
She started around the barn to see what it was. It was a loud noise and scary. Her color had turned a mottled gray. She was very difficult to see in the tall grass when she was like this.
It took a little time to get around the barn. She was small and the barn was very big. When she got to the end, she crouched down in the tall grass and just watched. She could hear noise, but couldn't see anything. It must be on the other side of the house.
Tammie stayed crouched and watched for a while without moving at all. When she was sure there was no danger, she started moving toward the house. As she moved into the dusty yard, her color started changing to a dusty brown. When she stopped, you could barely see her.
She slowly worked her way to the back of the house. Once there, she stayed quiet for a time. It seemed there were noises inside the house. She slowly worked her way around to the front of the house. At the corner, she stopped to look around. There was some kind of machine in front of the house. The noises were plainly coming from the inside of the house.
Tammie lay by the front porch of the house and waited to see what would happen. The sun was warm and she must have dozed off. She jumped straight up at the loud noise. She crouched by the edge of the porch in full alert. She was full black and white now. She was wondering at what was happening. Two humans came out of the house, walked across the porch toward the machine. She jumped again when the door slammed as the spring pulled it shut.
The two humans held each others paws for a moment, then got into the machine. Tammie was startled again when the machine coughed, then started moving. Quickly it was out of sight and the farm went quiet again.
Tammie jumped up on the porch and looked around. As far as she could see, nothing had changed. She walked around and sniffed. She picked up a different scent.
"Must belong to the humans," she thought to herself.
Tammie jumped off the edge of the porch and slowly wandered back to the table behind the barn. She lay down and rested in the shade as it was the heat of the day.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Several days later, Tammie was patrolling around the side of the barn when she heard the noise again. She was sure it was the same she had heard before.
She ran to the back of the house, then carefully worked her way around to the front to check things out.
Her color was the dusty brown of the yard. She was very quiet as she watched. Several humans got out of the machine. A louder noise came and another very large machine came up to the porch. Tammie ran to a tree and hid behind it. Her color darkened and matched the shadow of the tree.
Tammie watched as the humans took some things from the big machine and put them in the house. After a while, most of the humans got into the big machine and it left taking it's noise with it.
One human was left and he stayed inside the house. After a while, Tammie got thirsty and went to the creek to get a drink. Then she went back to the house to see what was going on. There did not seem to be much happening. she could hear noise from inside the house, but couldn't see anything. Her curiousity got to her, so she slowly crept up to the porch. Just as she was getting ready to jump onto the porch itself, she was startled by a noise. The human had some out of the house and went to his machine. Tammie peaked around the edge of the porch to watch.
She was fascinated since this was the first animal she had seen in a long time, except maybe the racoons that she avoided very carefully. Human went to the machine, opened it, took out some things then went back to the porch and inside the house.
Tammie waited a moment, then jumped onto the porch. She saw the door to the house was open. She sniffed around carefully. She was curious, but still cautious.
Tammie crept in through the door. She had not been in the house before. It was dark and it took a moment for her eyes to adjust. Her color changed to darker brown like the floor. She sniffed and looked around. There were a lot of things all over the room she was in. To get a better look, she jumped up onto a box. She saw the human going into another room. She jumped to another box and the one she left, fell with a loud noise. Tammie turned and ran out the door to her tree.
The human came running out and looked around.
"I thought I saw something," he said. "Wonder what it was?" Then went back into the house.
It was a very long time before Tammie went back to the porch to see what was happening. It was almost dark out now, but being a cat, she could still see quite well. She stuck her head in the door and was surprised. There was much light inside. This had never happened in the barn.
There was more space in the room now. Most of the boxes were gone. She crept under the sofa and watched. The human would come out from a room, then go into another room. Shortly, she smelled something new. It was a good smell and would certainly rate investigation. She crept around the edge of the room and into one of the other rooms. The smell got weaker. She started going back to the first room, but the human had just come into the room. Tammie waited under a dresser until the human left, then went back into the room.
She was getting ready to go into the next room, the smell was stronger here. Then the human came from that room. She ran in panic for the door to get out, but it was closed. It was too late, he saw her. She ran under the chair to hide, her color going very dark.
The human had seen her. He got down on the floor and looked under the chair. She froze as he came so close. Her mind was in panic. His hand reached in and tried to grab her so she used her claws. The hand pulled back. Then nothing.
"Was it defeated so easily?" she wondered.
She waited her mind racing, but the panic going away. Then the hand was back. She pulled back as far as she could. Her color completely black. The hand dropped something, then pulled back again. She didn't know what he had dropped, but it smelled wonderful. Tammie eased up to it and sniffed. Yes, it did smell wonderful. She stuck her tongue out and tasted it. The taste was good too. She grabbed it and pulled back into the corner, then started to eat it. The taste was good. She had not found food this easily before.
She looked and saw the human's face watching her. The feelings she detected were friendly, but the human was so big and scary.
The hand came under the chair and dropped some more, then disappeared again.
Tammie didn't wait so long this time, she grabbed it and ate some more. This was good. It happened several more times. Tammie ate all the human offered and now she was full. She crept to the edge of the chair and peaked out. The human was gone. She went back to her corner, curled up then fell asleep.
Tammie woke up some time later. She started to panic, then remembered where she was. She poked her head out and looked around. The smell of the food was still in the air, but she didn't see any food or the human. She walked to the door she had come in, but it was closed. Tammie decided to look around and see what else there was.
She stuck her head around the corner of a door and saw the human. He was standing doing something, she didn't know what.
He turned and saw a black and white kitten at the door. Then he smiled. He kneeled down, but didn't come closer to her.
"Hello, Little One," he said.
She didn't understand the words, but they did not sound threatening to her. He held his empty hand out to her. She slowly crept toward him. When she got near, she stretched her nose out to sniff him. He smelled like the food he had given her earlier. She pulled back a little when he moved his hand. He reached out and scratched behind her ears.
Tammie arched her back and closed her eyes. In just a moment, she was purring. This touch felt so good. Like nothing she had ever felt before. She leaned into his hand and almost fell over when he took his hand away.
The human took a bowl and put something into it, then set it on the floor. Tammie went to sniff at it. It was water. She had not had anything to drink since getting in the house and was very thirsty. She drank a lot of water.
When she was done, he reached down and petted her some more. Then, it was his turn to be amazed. Tammie's color slowly changed to pink. It was her color when she was happy, which she certainly was now. She had eaten more than usual, had someone give her water and now was lavishing his touch on her. Tammie purred loudly and arched her back to show her pleasure.
The human continued to marvel at her color change. He had never seen anything like it before. He continued to pet her as her purring pleased him greatly. It was nice for something so simple to please another creature.
He gently picked her up. Her claws came out and her color changed to black, but she didn't scratch him. He carried her to the first room, then sat on the couch and put Tammie in his lap and started petting her again. Her color went back to pink and she started purring again.
They both dozed off. Tammie woke up first. She stretched and looked around. She was beginning to like this place, but right now, she had business to take care of outside.
He woke when she stretched. He watched as she jumped off her lap and went to the door.
He smiled as he understood. He got up and opened the door and watched as a black and white kitten walked out.
"I sure hope he comes back," the human thought to himself.
Tammie jumped off the porch and went to take care of things. When she was done, she stopped by the creek, drank some more water, then went back to the house. She had a surprise when she got back to the porch. There were two bowls, one with food, the other with water.
Tammie ate some food, drank a little more water, then meowed at the door. When nothing happened, she meowed again. Shortly, the door opened and the human let her back in. She jumped onto the couch, climbed up on the back of it where she could see what was going on.
The human went into another room. Shortly, he came back, sat down near her and picked up a book. Tammie relaxed and dozed her senses still on alert.
She started when he got up and turned out the lights. Then he went to another room. Soon, the light there went out also. She got off the couch and decided to explore this place. The moon was full outside and there was plenty of light coming in the windows. She checked all the rooms both downstairs and up. A mouse crossed her path and became a snack for the quick kitten. When she was done exploring, she went into the same room the human had gone to and jumped up on the bed. She found her way to the head of the bed, settled down and went to sleep.
********************************************
This routine went on for several days. While she enjoyed the attention of the human, something seemed to be missing. There were no others like her and while life was good, it would be nice to have someone to talk to. The human seemed to understand her well enough, but that was just not the same.
They woke up with the sun. The human would do some things, then fix something to eat. He also made sure that Tammie had something to eat and always had water. He worked on the house making changes as he saw fit. He would let Tammie in and out as she saw fit.
When it got dark outside, the man would always come in, turn the lights on and prepare some food for them. Then he would sit and read his book while he petted Tammie on his lap. She sensed that something was missing for him as well.
After a week, Tammie understood what the human needed. He was alone and lonely like she was.
Tammie started spending more time with the human. She didn't need to go out as much since food and water were always available to her. She would curl up somewhere and watch as he worked. She enjoyed being near him. She wondered how it would be if they could be more alike to dispell the lonliness each felt.
That night, as she slept on the bed with the human, she had a dream. She dreamt that she was a human too. In her dream he would touch her and pet her as he did now. But, since they were the same, the loneliness was gone. When Tammie woke up, she was almost disappointed that she was still a kitten. She stretched, then snuggled next to the human and started purring.
He woke with a smile on his face. He stretched then petted her and talked to her.
He kissed her, then got up to start his day. She would always wait until he started preparing his food, then he would let her out.
She was doing her regular patrol when all of a sudden, a hawk was on the ground in front of her. She hadn't seen him land, but didn't wait. She turned to run as she panicked.
Tammie stopped in her tracks as she heard the hawk speak to her.
"Do not be afraid Tammie," she told her. "I will not hurt you."
Tammie stopped and turned back to face the hawk. The hawk just stood there with her wings folded.
"I am Maden," she said. "I have been sent to give you a message. That is, your dreams can come true. You must, however, decide what you will lose when you do. You are a unique individual and special. You have many talents and abilities. Some of these you do not realize yet. Think about who you are and who you will be. You can keep one of your special talents, or you can keep them all, and lose your dream."
"How do you know me?" Tammie said, still shaken by this.
"There are times when we can transcend our limitations," she told Tammie. "This is one of them. I have been sent to tell you what will come."
"I don't understand," Tammie replied. "What dream is this you speak of?"
"You know the dream, and you will know the day you must make your decision," Maden said. "I have given you the message. I must go now."
With that, she spread her wings and took off.
Tammie just sat in wonder. A kitten her size was just a snack to a hawk. Yet this one had spoken to her, then left her alone. She shook her head in wonder. Then she realized, she was black and white in the open. She changed to sandy brown to blend in and ran to the cover of trees. Another hawk might not be so generous. She had no intention of becoming lunch for one of them.
Tammie sat under the cover of the tree and watched the porch and thought about the message. She could not get in the house, since the human was gone. His machine was not there, but she hoped he would be back soon. She always felt safer in the house.
This did give her time to think. Was this the dream of being human to keep the human company. She could tell he was lonely, as she was too. She did not know about keeping or letting go her talents. Everything she did was just normal for her. What was different about being human? She would have to think on this.
Another week went by. The human had left in the machine and Tammie was all alone in the house. She turned and saw Maden on the mantle over the fireplace.
"Hello Maden," she told her. "Today is the day is it not?"
"Yes Tammie," Maden replied. "Today is the day. You may chose to stay as you are or follow your dream. You must also choose the one thing to keep."
"I have thought on this," Tammie said softly. "It is very difficult to go on an unfamiliar path. I have decided that I will follow my dream however difficult it is."
"You are sure?" Maden replied. "Once you start on this journey, you will never be able to turn back. This will be it once and for all."
"Yes, Maden, I do," she said. "I wish to be the human's companion and ease his loneliness and mine as well."
"As you have decided," Maden said. "You will have this. Now you must tell me what you will keep."
"I have thought much on this," Tammie replied. "There is one thing that seems to please the human. That is my purring. I would like to keep that so that it may continue to please him and sooth him."
"This will happen then," was Maden's answer. "I do warn you, this is a painful process and there is no turning back once it is started. This is your last chance. Are you sure of your course."
Tammie took a deep breath. This was like jumping of a high place when you could not see the landing.
"Yes," she said quietly. "I do wish to proceed. I will accept the pain"
"Once you have made the transition, you will be a human female," Maden told her. "At that point, the pain will be almost gone, but there will always be some to remind you."
"Thank you Maden," Tammie said. "What must I do?"
"Nothing," came the reply. "It will happen."
With that, the hawk was no longer on the mantle. Tammie looked around and could see nothing. She was feeling sleepy, so she went to the sleeping room and jumped up on the bed. She smiled to herself. She could smell him on the bed. Here, she would feel close to him. Tammie curled up and dozed off.
******************************
She heard the hawk's call and turned toward it. The claws ripped her skin. It was painful and Tammie cried out. She tried to run and hide, but couldn't move. She tried to change color to hide, but couldn't do that either. The pain was worse than anything she had ever experienced. It kept coming. The hawks continued to attack her. The claws pierced her and the beaks tore her fur off. She tried to scream, but couldn't hear anything. She couldn't see and still, they kept attacking her. She clung to the memory of her dream and refused to quit. She knew she was alive and that the pain was part of the process to make the changes. She would not let her dream die no matter how much they hurt her.
Suddenly, the hawks disappeared. She still hurt, but not as much. Finally, Tammie relaxed and dozed off.
Tammie dreamt her dream of being companion to her human. She knew, from what Maden had said, that he was male and she would be a female. There was still some pain, but it was slowly fading.
Tammie woke from her dream and stretched. She still hurt, but the pain had dulled. Everything was different. At first, she was a little scared. Then she remembered. She took a deep breath and opened her eyes. She was still on the bed, but so much was different.
She had no fur, no clothes. She examined herself. There was much that she just knew. She didn't know how, but she did.
As she looked, she saw the breasts on her chest. She had hands and felt herself. She smiled because it felt good. She had a slim waist and wide hips. She stretched and felt very feline when she did that. She rolled on her side. She ached all over, but it was not too bad. Certainly nothing like when the hawks tormented her.
Tammie stretched once more, then fell into a very deep sleep.
***************************
Tom drove into his driveway and stopped the car. It had been a long day, but he had finally gotten all the legal business taken care of. The farm had been his parents. They had been gone for several years and the place abandon all that time. He sat in the car and sighed. Now he was coming home to an empty house. It had been so lonely since his wife had died. He had loved her so much, then had her taken away so suddenly.
He sighed again and walked up to the porch. He made a mental note to fix the porch light. He opened the door and turned on the light. He threw the keys on the desk and went to the bedroom to change.
He took his shirt off then turned the light on. He looked at the bed and choked. There, totally naked, was the most beautiful woman he could remember seeing. She was sleeping peacefully. She had long black hair and her skin was so white.
He sat on the bed next to her and just watched her steady breathing. He put his hand on her shoulder and gently touched her.
She stretched, looked at him and smiled.
"Excuse me miss," he said. "Where did you come from?"
"She rolled on her back and looked at him. She made no attempt to cover herself. Then she stretched again. Her motions reminded him of the kitten.
"My name is Tammie," she said in a lovely voice.
"I'm Tom," he said a little confused.
"I have been here since before you moved in," she told him. "It is a strange story, but I can assure you, it is true."
"I would be most interested in hearing how such a lovely woman, ended up in my bed," he said. "Please, continue."
Tammie explained about being the kitten who had turned into a woman.
Tom, of course, found it very difficult to believe. But she had told him about things that no one but him and the kitten could possibly have known.
Tammie sat up and hugged him. He couldn't resist and hugged her back. It felt so wonderful to have a woman in his arms again. He stroked her hair then kissed her lips gently. Then, he had to stop and look around. He heard purring. It seemed to be from her.
Tom smiled and shook his head.
"You put yourself through all that just for me?" he asked. "Why would you do that?"
"You are a good person, and lonely," she said. "I was all alone until you came. I wanted to be able to tell you how much you mean to me."
"Amazing," he said and kissed her again.
He heard it again. The purring.
"Is that you?" he asked.
"Yes, it is," she told him shyly. "I was allowed to keep one of my traits as a kitten. I chose to keep my purr. I am happy that you still pet me. It always seemed to soothe you."
"Yes," Tom laughed, "It does that. What other surprises do you have?"
He kissed her passionately before she could answer. They lay down next to each other and the purring continued.
Tom held her close. He nibbled delicately on her neck and her ear. He heard the purring louder now.
She turned toward him and kissed his neck and chest. He imitated her purr and they both laughed and smiled at each other.
It had been a difficult day and now, the evening was theirs. FOREVER.
© Copyright 2005 Twoshadows (twoshadows at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1051806-Color-Kitty